This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi at the Met, NYC (July 18/30 '05)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:07 AM

The casting has been posted on the Met's website, just click " tickets & info" for the ballet you're intersted in

http://www.metoperaf...on/bolshoi.aspx

It looks like they're bringing a really strong group and I'm torn about which casts to see. I was planning to concentrate on Zakharova and catch one performance by Alexandrova but Lunkina has 2 matinees (7/23 Spartacus and 7/30 Pharoah's Daughter) and Tsiskaridze has 2 performances (7/26 Bright Stream and 7/29 PD with Alexandrova). Stepanenko gets a DQ and a Bright Stream & Antinocheva has the first Spartacus.

Damn those high ticket prices!

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for this nysusan. I'm torn too. The ticket prices are really going to make me chose carefully and I'll have to miss some casts I probably would have liked to see.

#18 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:11 AM

Damn those high ticket prices!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And damn those preliminary castings that never turn out correct - place your bets! :yahoo:

#19 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

TWO Zakharova Don Qs and not ONE by Antonicheva!!!!????

#20 dufay

dufay

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

We decided to spend our bucks on the Bolsoi rather than ABT this year. However, I am not very familiar with the dancers. For you Bolshoi aficionados, which "Bright Spring" would you recommend?.

#21 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

I would see Bright Stream with two of the original dancers: Alexandrova, and Filin on Monday, July 25 8pm. Alexandrova gives a star-making performance in her role as the Dancer.

#22 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

But the balcony prices are almost double than for ABT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dale,

If I remember last Summer, the Balcony and Familicy Circle for ABT were very cheap, much less than the opera, then the Royal Ballet came in for the Ashton programs and the prices were much higher, and there were many more empty seats, at least at the mixed programs.

Well I want to see Pharaoh's Daughter, it's hard to imagine seeing a production that lavish every day of the week. So I'll pay the freight. I'm really wondering if it will really look so spectacular as it does on video

However I will also probably be "dragged" to a Spartacus, which isn't really my thing.

Richard

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:31 AM

I'll second Dale's recommendation on 'Bright Stream.' I've seen the original cast -- Alexandrova & Filin -- live & in at a later Russian-TV telecast. I've also seen the other casts live. No doubt - go with Alexandrova/Filin.

#24 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

I'll second Dale's recommendation on 'Bright Stream.' I've seen the original cast -- Alexandrova & Filin -- live & in at a later Russian-TV telecast. I've also seen the other casts live. No doubt - go with Alexandrova/Filin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was also debating about which cast to see for Bright Stream. I had a really hard time making my mind up but I decided to go for the Shipulina/Tsiskaridze cast since I've heard such great things about Tsiskaridze and I expect to see Alexandrova & Filin in DonQ. And I really liked Shipulina when I saw them in Boston. Of course, she was dancing soloist roles in Boston, we'll see if I made the right choice for Bright Stream.

The way it stands now the one dancer I'm not going to see at all is Lunkina. Such tough choices, I wish I could afford to see them all!

#25 koshka

koshka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

The Bolshoi is doing DonQ at Wolf Trap here in DC August 5 & 6--tickets start at $18 for lawn and front orchestra is $65. You could always road-trip it down here for the weekend. :-)

#26 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:02 AM

Since everyone was so helpful with dufay choosing which performance of The Bright Stream that would be best to see I was hoping that all of you would do the same for me about the which performance I should see of DonQ and Spartacus. I was going to get tickets for DonQ with Zakharova - afterall she's the only dancer I know, but after reading some reviews of Maria Alexandrova performance as Kiti I'm confuse. Usually I just buy tickets for both. But as everyone rightly mention, the ticket prices are outrageous. As for Spartacus I have no idea which performance I should see and it these prices I definitely want to get my money's worth!! You help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :dunno:

#27 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

Based on what I saw in London last year, I'd want to see Alexandrova in Don Q. She is the jewel in the crown as far as the Bolshoi is concerned.

The company doesn't have an outstanding Spartacus at present, but I liked Klevtsov in the role as he has very much his own interpretation. Vorobiev is a new name for me though, so can't comment on his abilities.

#28 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:03 AM

Since everyone was so helpful with dufay choosing which performance of The Bright Stream that would be best to see I was hoping that all of you would do the same for me about the which performance I should see of DonQ and Spartacus. I was going to get tickets for DonQ with Zakharova - afterall she's the only dancer I know, but after reading some reviews of Maria Alexandrova performance as Kiti I'm confuse. Usually I just buy tickets for both. But as everyone rightly mention, the ticket prices are outrageous. As for Spartacus I have no idea which performance I should see and it these prices I definitely want to get my money's worth!! You help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :dunno:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I were able to choose from the casts on offer, I'd take Alexandrova in Don Q, and Klevtsov, Lunkina, Volchkov, Allash (a fair quartet) in Spartacus.

#29 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:06 AM

Well, as these things often go, I think Filin is out of the whole Bolshoi run in NYC. His name isn't in any of the casts at the Met website anymore.

So far I only have a ticket for Pharaoh's Daughter, but I was looking forward to seeing him in it.

I'd like to see more, but not at those prices

Richard

#30 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Mashinka and Marc!! I'm going with Alexandrova for DonQ. Still not sure about Spartacus but I just hope which ever performance I pick they don't disappoint because this might be my one and only change at seeing Spartacus perform live with the Bolshoi Ballet and I would like to be ability to keep a happy remember in my mind for sometime to come!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):