This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

information about "Orphee" please?

Can anyone share some thoughts about the Pina Bausch "Orphee" that is programmed for later this spring? I plead absolute ignorance of this production and have a possiblity of seeing it in June. I'd like to know a bit more about it--to put the question most simplistically--would someone who loves the Balanchine "Chaconne" (same music, right? but different thematically) enjoy this? Or would someone who loves the Balanchine "Orpheus" (same theme, different music?) enjoy this? Of both? Or neither? Not being too familiar with Ms. Baush, I'd love to hear some opinions, and merci.

I don't know much about it, but what you must know is that it is not a creation, it's quite an old choreogaphy; so I think you could find some informations about it on the web.

It is an "opéra dansé" and it is sung in German, which is not the original version (sung in French or in Italian).

The comparison between Pina Bausch and Balanchine..., well, I think it should be very difficult, because there is no common point at all between both. Pina Bausch's work is neither classical nor neo-classical. This is modern-contemporary dance, she has a rather dark vision of the world (influenced by german expressionism), but it is always very emotional.

Well, Rkoretzky,

From what I have read about that work, it's definitively very dark. It's divided in four sections: the mourning, the fierceness, the peace and the death.

The goal of PB was to exploring the great pain of the dramatis personae, teared between their double sides, the "one-dancing" and the "one singing".

I think we can't compare PB and Balanchine, that's just so different. But the experience may be quite interesting, even if you aren't a fan of contemporary dance.

Merci to both of you for responding. I did some checking on the web, as Sophia suggested. I was looking for influences on Ms. Bausch and discovered that she worked with Paul Taylor in the 50s. I'm a huge Taylor fan so that was the answer I was looking for--lol--even if what she does is nothing like Taylor's work. I also saw references to Joos.

I wasn't really looking for comparisons to Balanchine but admit I am intrigued by the issue since I love Chaconne, particularly the music--and dislike Orpheus, particularly the music. Since Bausch used the Gluck score, that is another point in favor of seeing it.

I do prefer ballet to modern dance, but am always game to see something that I haven't had exposure to--I love Mark Morris and don't really like much of Trisha Brown but feel that I needed to see Brown to know that I don't like her, and any reason to go to the glorious Garnier is well worth it, so I think my daughter and I will go. She'll be winding up her semester in Europe and I am meeting her to help her carry everything that she has collected home. More fun than having her ship her stuff!!!!

If you are interested in the cast for Pina Bausch's "Orphée et Eurydice" (premiere on May 30th), in case you go to Paris in May-June, I put it down:

Orphée: Kader Belarbi or José Martinez or Yann Bridard

Eurydice: Marie-Agnès Gillot or Eleonora Abbagnato or Alice Renavand

Amour: Miteki Kudo or Muriel Zusperreguy or Charlotte Ranson

No other precisions on POB website concerning the dates for each cast :D .

Later on, there will be Nureyev "Romeo and Juliet" at the Opera Bastille (June 25th-July 14th) and a Roland Petit Triple Bill at Garnier:Le Jeune Homme et la Mort, Carmen, L'Arlésienne (July 2nd-July 16th). Don't miss Elisabeth Maurin's farewell on June 29th as Juliet (with Manuel Legris)!