24 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:53 AM

My apologies for the lapse. I honestly misrembered that Rouben had done the sets. Still the Duke's Palace IS the perfect Act III Swan set.

#17 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

I, too, look forward to seeing the new designs, even though I seem to remember some tableaux making reference to, if not literal quotation of, paintings on the subject of the Don, and the worrier in me frets that these effects, if they were actually there, will be lost.

But I am reassured by knowledge of who is responsible for the project, the same Suzanne Farell who provided new, enlarging choreography for the variations in eleven voices in the Stravinsky Variations which quickly converted my shock into delight, and who showed a new dance by a Florida colleague (when she could have presented another Balanchine revival) which proved far more satisfying than two premieres I had just seen elsewhere (more than once) by name choreographers.

To make a long story short, she knows what she's doing, evidently!

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:36 PM

I, too, look forward to seeing the new designs, even though I seem to remember some tableaux making reference to, if not literal quotation of, paintings on the subject of the Don, and the worrier in me frets that these effects, if they were actually there, will be lost. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite a few of the Balanchine tableaux were based on the Doré illustrations for the novel. That's one reason the souvenir booklet for the ballet contained the sections of the story covered by the ballet, illustrated with reproductions of the Doré steel engravings. I still have that booklet from the first season.

#19 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

No mention of the Nicolas Nabakov score? I still remember how deadening the effect of the music on what was otherwise quite a moving pageant, especially with Balanchine as Don Q. It's possible, of course, that a second hearing might be an improvement. But in 1965 the music did nothing to enhance the visual aspects of the production, and much to distract from them.

the court sarabande – as the dance went on, that sense of heaviness grew on you, and you felt you were in the stifling atmosphere of Philip IV’s Escorial.  (I haven’t checked my dates before posting this, so I might have cited the wrong Philip.)

The 1604 publication date for the first book of Don Quijote would make it a very young Philip III. Seems he was a rather melancholy fellow, so "stifling" would probably apply.

#20 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone knows if this production will be traveling to the New York area? I would love to see it!!! I can't get to Canada or even to Washington, D. C.!! I'm sure, even though he would never admitted it, that Peter Martins is burning inside that he wasn't unable to get DonQ performed at NYCB during the Balanchine year-long celebration!!! If he was able to put his feelings aside and had Suzanne Farrell stage the ballet, those performance would have had sold-out tickets for every performance. That would have been the crown jewel of the NYCB season of last year.

#21 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

Gasp! A sold-out house for Balanchine's Don Q for the first time after its opening week! History!

#22 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:53 AM

GeorgeB Fan -- Mel Johnson remembers, as I do, when Balanchine's Don Q meant a half-empty New York State Theater. Subscribers stayed away in droves. Nevertheless, I agree with you that this ballet would have been the highlight of the NYCB Balanchine Centennial. In fairness to Mr. Martins, I believe he tried to get it and Ms. Farrell (who owns the ballet) turned him down.

#23 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Any news about a tour of this production, or Canadian dates? I have been hoping and planning to go to DC in June for this gig, pretty much since it was announced, but I am just not sure that it is going to happen for me. Too much going on in my life right now.

Has there been any news of any other venues or dates? I can't imagine that all of the time and finance invested in this production will result in five days of performance and then....nothing.

Please give me some encouragement.....

#24 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

The co.'s website does not include it in the 2005-2006 rep, rkoretzky.

The press release at the head of this thread says:

The production will have its debut in Toronto, performed by The National Ballet of Canada at a later date, to be announced.

Awfully non-committal.

#25 Noreen Arnold

Noreen Arnold

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:59 AM

The press release at the head of this thread says:

The production will have its debut in Toronto, performed by The National Ballet of Canada at a later date, to be announced.

Awfully non-committal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect it will be one of the highlights of the first season in the new Opera House (Fall 2006) along with Kudelka's new production of Sleeping Beauty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):