This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A New Chemyakin 'Nutcracker' sequel...& more news

All of this news comes directly from the Mariinsky website -- www.mariinsky.ru -- which just updated its April & May schedules. Lots of surprises. I'll just list the more interesting items:

* He's baaaaack!!!! Designer Mikhail Chemiakin has not quite concluded his saga on 'The Nutcracker'! After 'Nutcracker' in 2002 we saw the premiere of the pre-quel to the beloved ballet: 'Princess Pirlipat,' in 2003. On May 14, the Mariinsky will see the premiere of the latest sequel (or prequel?) to the Nutcracker tale: THE MAGIC NUT, a ballet in 2 acts. As was the case with 'Pirlipat,' the new score is by local composer Sergei Slonimsky. However, we have a new choreographer...listed as one Donneva Pandursky. [Anybody know of this choreographer?] No word on casting provided.

* No word whatsoever about the long-awaited reconstruction of Petipa's 'La Reveil de Flore'...and it's not in the White Nights schedule either. Has 'Flore' been scrapped to make room for 'The Magic Nut,' I ask?

* Just prior to the bulk of the company going on tour to Cardiff, Wales, there will be two back-to-back presentations of the complete Petipa/K. Sergeev 'Raymonda' (April 14 & 15). This is a rarity; the last complete performances of 'Raymonda' were over a year ago. Even more surprising, perhaps, are the choices of ballerinas to dance these two precious performances of a greatly-loved ballet: Viktoria Teryoshkina on the 14th and Irma Nioradze on the 15th. [in their careers, Vishneva & Lopatkina have each danced only one complete Raymonda. Goes to show you how rarely this ballet is performed at the Kirov.]

* Regarding the Cardiff, Wales, tour - many have asked why the originally-scheduled lone appearance of Daria Pavlenko (as Juliet) has been cancelled? I have no answer to that question...but I see that Pavlenko is now scheduled to dance Giselle on April 22 in her home theater, during the time of the tour. Can't be in two places at once...

* Finally - Very interesting to note that the 1900 'new-old' version of Bayadere is apparently back (scheduled to be performed on May 18). Perhaps this bodes well for North Americans who are hoping that the 'new-old' version of this ballet -- rather than the Soviet-traditional version -- is performed in the USA during the company's upcoming Autumn 2005 tour? I wonder.

Natalia Nabatova

My info is that The Awakening of Flora is for Novorsibirsk, where Vikharev is artistic director.

I'd say the idea of Korsakov as de Brienne is rather surprising as well, especially with Tereshkina, who towers over him. Emploi seems to have left the building.

Natalia isn't it Beauty not Bayadere during the US tour this fall?

Natalia isn't it Beauty not Bayadere during the US tour this fall?

Absolutely right. I was thinking about Washington, DC in June 2006, when Bayadere will be performed. In either case (Beauty & Baya), many Americans would love to see the Vikharev reconstructions of Petipa originals, rather than the Soviet versions. Hopefully the reappearance of a Vikharev reconstruction on the Mariinsky schedule, this May, tells us that the theater has not foresaken the 'new-old' versions altogether.

Of course, come May 18, who knows which version of Bayadere will be actually performed? The Mariinsky website has, in the past, announced Version-X & the performance ended up being Version-Y.

re. Korsakov - I was thinking the same thing. This would be his debut as De Brienne, right? I was also a bit surprised with the casting of a non-traditional Zarema in Bakh Fontan (Ap 25). Tkachenko is on the shortish & roundish side...not the usual tall-and-slinky look for a Zarema! At least she'll be dancing opposite a very petite Maria, Irina Zhelonkina, so it won't look so odd.

Yes, Natalia, I think California is going to be up in arms about getting the 1952 Beauty, which they weren't crazy about in 1989, and not the Vikharev. The 1952 production has started to look very tatty -- if they bring it they must at least refresh the costumes and scenery, IMO.

So who is Mr. or Ms. Donneva Pandursky, who will choreograph the third installment of Chemyakin's Nutcracker trilogy? Do you know, Thalictum? Anyone else? So far, the Mariinsky press site offers no info on him/her.

UPDATE: I did a quick Google search on "Pandursky" and found this in the website for the 2002 Ankara Music Festival. S/he is Bulgarian?

National Ballet of Sofia

On May 16-17 the National Ballet of Sofia performed the "Four-Night Ballet," a Bulgarian-German co-production, at MEB. The lighting, design and choreography were done by Donneva Pandursky, who has also worked with several other ballet companies as a guest dancer.

Yes, Natalia, I think California is going to be up in arms about getting the 1952 Beauty, which they weren't crazy about in 1989, and not the Vikharev.  The 1952 production has started to look very tatty -- if they bring it they must at least refresh the costumes and scenery, IMO.

Hi Thalictum! You're right. When they came to L.A. in 1989 the Sergueyev production (scenery & costumes) looked upgraded and 'refreshed.' But that

was then. If they bring the new/old version, I will be front row center. If not,

I'll watch my Lezhnina/Ruzimatov/Makhalina tape.

Here's another reason why it may be smarter for the Kirov to perform the 1890 version on tour: The Royal Ballet will be touring the US next season, too, with what is, essentially, the 1952 Sergeyev-Soviet version, as restaged by Natalia Makarova! Audiences in America may not care to see the same version of Sleeping Beauty, by two companies, in the same season.

p.s. How ironic! We used to think of England's Royal Ballet as the keeper of the version of Beauty that was closest to the Petipa original...considered more sacred & purer than the K.Sergeyev-Soviet being performed by the Kirov. Now we see the prospect of the reverse touring in the USA: the Royal Ballet in the Soviet version & Russia in the original Petipa version. What's this world coming to?

Now we see the prospect of the reverse touring in the USA:  the Royal Ballet in the Soviet version & Russia in the original Petipa version. What's this world coming to?

:yahoo:
Here's another reason why it may be smarter for the Kirov to perform the 1890 version on tour:   The Royal Ballet will be touring the US next season, too, with what is, essentially, the 1952 Sergeyev-Soviet version, as restaged by Natalia Makarova!  Audiences in America may not care to see the same version of Sleeping Beauty, by two companies, in the same season.

Programmers have been careful, in order not to dilute sales, to limit full-length works by visitors to be non-duplicative, even in starkly contrasting stagings. If we get a Sleeping Beauty at the Met, it will be either Royal or Kirov, but not both. Just speculating: Since NYC recently saw a Kirov Beauty (New/Old), if we get a Beauty, it will more likely be RB's.

Programmers have been careful, in order not to dilute sales, to limit full-length works by visitors to be non-duplicative, even in starkly contrasting stagings.  If we get a Sleeping Beauty at the Met, it will be either  Royal or  Kirov, but not both. 

You're right about same-venue programming, carbro. I was thinking more generally, about tours of the USA during the 2005/2006 season. The Kirov will be performing Beauty in California in fall 2005 & the Royal will be performing Beauty in DC (& elsewhere?) in spring/summer 2006. Even though we're talking opposite coasts of the country, a lot of die-hard fans will travel to see both. I am envisaging the very odd situation in which I may be seeing:

a. The Soviet K. Sergeev version by the Royal Ballet (as staged by Makarova, who only danced the Soviet version back home)

and

b. The Kirov performing the 1890 Petipa original, which for 60-odd years was preserved, in great part, in the UK.

Ten years ago, if you would have asked anyone who had the 'closest to Petipa' (purest) version of Sleeping Beauty on earth, the answer would have been The Royal Ballet.

Well, I'm told that Makarova has added some original touches, incuding some cupids or angels (???). Let's give them all a chance. :(