This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Anna Polikarpova

Estelle

I only saw that dancer in a video of "The Stone Flower" by the Kirov Ballet (with also Tatiana Terekhova and Aleksandr Gulayev).

She danced the main female role, and I found her really lovely, with a kind of softness which really made me feel like

seeing her in roles such as "Giselle" or "La Sylphide".

Later I've read that she left the Kirov Ballet and joined John Neumeier's Hamburg

Ballet. Has anybody here seen her on stage, or on other

videos? What were your impressions?

I'm sure that our NY colleagues in this newsgroup can provide the latest impressions of Polikarpova, as she performed with Hamburg Ballet on its 1998 NY tour. I saw her "live" only with the Kirov and competing at the first (1994 or 95) La Maya Prize contest in St. Petes, where she won a medal. [she was already a member of the Hamburg Ballet at the time of the competition.] Indeed, she is a very lovely and soft dancer, if a bit cold emotionally. I believe that she's on the "Mariinsky Ballet" video (Home Vision label) dancing one of the three female solo roles in CHOPINIANA....I'm working from memory now as I'm not at home where my database is located. I definitely have a video of her CHOPINIANA. If it's not the tape that I cited, I'll correct myself tomorrow. - Jeannie

Guest mmp

There is another video of Anna Polikarpova with Kirov and the title is "The Maryinsky Ballet" by Public Media Home Vision ISBN 0-7800-1315-8. This video contains a mix program and she is in "Chopiniana." The program also contains The Fairy Doll, Paquita, Markitenka Pas de Six (La Vivandiere) and more. Artists are Ivanova, Zhelolnkina, Sitnikova, Alexandra Koltun, Grigory Chicherin and others (Asylmuratova, Zelensky etc.) By the way, it is not a live performances.

I also saw her twice on stage doing Prelude from Chopiniana with Kirov - a few years ago. She was very beautiful!

I saw Anna Polikarpova in Hong Kong in February during the Hamburg Ballet's short season. She was a moving Helena in Neumeier's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Her Kirov training showed in her expressive upper body. In "Bernstein Dances" she danced as one of the friends of Bernstein.

Before Polikarpova left the Kirov Ballet, I remember only seeing her once in Washington as one of the 3 muses in Balanchine's Apollo. However I cannot find the Kirov programme to verify this.

The Kirov video mentioned above is also available as "Mariinsky (that's how they spelled it) Theatre: Kirov Classics" by RM Arts ISBN 1-56127-086-5. It also has the Corsaire pas de deux and a couple of Vinogradov ballets.