This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Can this story be saved?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

I always thought Lydia was a famous novelist of historical romances--but this was an original story.

No matter--I do like that Grigorovich's production for the Bolshoi has Jeanne come in the opening scene to say goodbye to Raymonda--which makes much more story and dramatic sense than Ab coming there. I hear the production has dropped the White Lady that was in it when it was recorded in the 80s though--which is too bad. The Bolshoi uses the White Lady's music bit in the battle for Raymonda now--which I also think is a disservice.

I wish they'd do some sort of reconstruction of this--it's my fave of the 1800s ballets after Beauty (yes, I know) and I think, as was mentioned here, cutting out nearly all the mime is really not a good idea. Now that audiences seem to be more accepting of mime, I hope to see some changes made. The story is a silly mess, but so is Le Corsair, or Fille du Pharoan and those don't have that gorgeous music (or IMHO dancing) behind them. However i have to say I do like Aberkham as a dancing role--a showy one, though if they did a strict reconstruction he'd be relegated to all mime. But I could handle that :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):