This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Can this story be saved?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 EricMontreal22

EricMontreal22

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

I always thought Lydia was a famous novelist of historical romances--but this was an original story.

No matter--I do like that Grigorovich's production for the Bolshoi has Jeanne come in the opening scene to say goodbye to Raymonda--which makes much more story and dramatic sense than Ab coming there. I hear the production has dropped the White Lady that was in it when it was recorded in the 80s though--which is too bad. The Bolshoi uses the White Lady's music bit in the battle for Raymonda now--which I also think is a disservice.

I wish they'd do some sort of reconstruction of this--it's my fave of the 1800s ballets after Beauty (yes, I know) and I think, as was mentioned here, cutting out nearly all the mime is really not a good idea. Now that audiences seem to be more accepting of mime, I hope to see some changes made. The story is a silly mess, but so is Le Corsair, or Fille du Pharoan and those don't have that gorgeous music (or IMHO dancing) behind them. However i have to say I do like Aberkham as a dancing role--a showy one, though if they did a strict reconstruction he'd be relegated to all mime. But I could handle that :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):