This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Here's a little review of the Royal Ballet's Giselle:

I went to see the Royal Ballet in Giselle yesterday in Breda (the Netherlands), taken there by my wonderful boyfriend who had never seen a ballet before (and I believe I have a convert now, he really liked it :blink: ) I had never seen Giselle before, and I have to say i was quite impressed. Unfortunately, the music was taped, which spoiled the fun a little. The Royal Ballet hardly ever has an orchestra.

I don't know who danced Giselle, but i do know it wasn't any of the usual principals, I would have recogised them. The dancer was very expressive in her part, especially in the mad scene. I sat on the balcony so I couldn't see her facial expressions, but seeing her dancing was enough to see the emotions of the part. Only in her variation in the first act, i was a little dissapointed with her technique, as some of the pirouettes were rather sloppy. The dancer in the part of Albrecht, was exquisite, both in technique and expression. I was very impressed with his variations. The Peasant pas de deux was was beautiful, both very young but wonderful dancers.

The corps de ballet was really good in both acts. Their dancing was beautiful, very synchronised and really just perfect technique in all the dancers. Costumes were gorgeous, as usual, and the stage but simple but very nice.

Did anyone see Giselle in Belgium or the Netherlands?

Thanks for your report on the performance of Giselle. Its discouraging to learn that recorded music has become the norm in parts of Europe too. A "Royal Ballet" deserves better. It would be interesting to read some of your observations about the company in general.

It is good to hear that your boyfriend liked the ballet. Have you checked out some of the thoughts about men and ballet that are currently being posted on the forum?

The Royal Ballet doesn't receive much government funding, so they don't have to money for an orchestra.

I think they're quite a good company, but I can't really compare, as they're the only ballet company in Belgium. They have a couple of very strong principals and very very nice corps de ballet.

Unfortunately, they recently got a new director, and their repertory will most likely change a lot, from being a classical company to a contemporary ballet company. That means we'll lose the only classical company in the country.

I read part of the thread about men and ballet. My boyfriend took me there for a surprise, and he told me he wasn't nearly as bored as he'd expected to be. He's used to going to the theatre though, he's an actor/singer/director himself. That's why he didn't like the mime. Being an actor, he found it very unnatural, but he did like the dancing and he was very impressed with the male dancers. Now all I have to do is convice him to take classes himself :)