This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I recently saw the film "Henry & June" and their is a song or opera aria heard during one of the Henry Miller/Anais Nin love scenes that isn't featured in the end credits or on the soundtrack. The piece sounds like Debussy or Ravel. Does anyone know what this work is?

Thank you.

I found a list of pieces used in this film:

Debussy - La Plus Que Lente.

Debussy - Petite Suite: Ballet.

Debussy - Sonata for Violin and Piano.

Debussy - Pour L'Egyptienne

Poulenc - Nocturne No.1 in C major.

Poulenc - Les Chemins de l'amour. (The paths of love)

Satie - 'Je Te Veux' (I Want You) song for voice & piano.

Satie - Gnossienne for piano No.3.

Tárrega - Gran Vals.

Thanks, Mme. Hermine. But I own the soundtrack and the vocal piece I'm looking for is not on it.

I found a list of pieces used in this film:

Debussy - La Plus Que Lente.

Debussy - Petite Suite: Ballet.

Debussy - Sonata for Violin and Piano.

Debussy  - Pour L'Egyptienne

Poulenc  - Nocturne No.1 in C major.

Poulenc  - Les Chemins de l'amour. (The paths of love)

Satie  - 'Je Te Veux' (I Want You) song for voice & piano.

Satie  - Gnossienne for piano No.3.

Tárrega - Gran Vals.

Hello!

I know which piece you are referring to (it's a mélodie):

RAVEL

Vocalise-Étude

It has piano accompaniment & the vocal part has no words (as you probably know already).

I just joined this forum a few days ago, so that's why it's a very late reply. :))

I am often irritated when films don't put the proper credits. But what really chaps my hide (excuse my French) is that they didn't acknowledge the soprano (or mezzo) & accompanist in the recording used. But if they had used a Madonna song, let's say, then they'd have to credit her "talent" & pay through the nose. Now that's low.

There's another piece of music from Henry & June that you won't find on the soundtrack CD or in the end credits: The transcription of Le Sacre du Printemps - specifically the movement entitled Action rituelle des ancêtres...hehe, get it? It's for two pianos/four hands. It was used in the scene where the audience first sees Henry Miller (& Osborne, giggling & hanging off of the car...)

(Sorry...the last two paragraphs were pretty off-topic. I'll be quiet now.)

Hope this helps!

-Szymanowski

<<Thank you, Szymanowski , that's very helpful, and welcome to the forum. I haven't seen Henry and June since its initial release, and now you and MakarovaFan make me want to.>>

Thanks for welcoming me dirac!

I always wished the director of Henry & June would do a ballet film. Perhaps "Center Stage 2" might pique his curiosity? Uh, definitely not... :dry: