This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT is reaching outside the dance world

I just got my next week issue of Entertainment Weekly in the mail and I was flipping though it and low and behold what did I see but Alessandra Ferri as Giselle (the same beautifully luminous picture on the front cover of the new brochure for ABT at the Met) in a advertisement for up coming performances in Chicago, Los Angeles and New York. And I just had to smile! It may not be much but I think it's great that ABT is going outside the normal magazines you would usually find ballet companies advertising for performances and put an ade in a popluar mainsteam entertainment magazine.

George B fan, I too am pleased to hear this! I think that positioning ballet as entertainment has been pretty much a "missed opportunity." In terms of drawing in fans in Los Angeles in particular, it is a smart move. Good for them. The day that the entertainment TV shows start covering ballet companies is still far off -- but I (as a public relations person) can dream can't I?

I agree! Good for ABT's marketing department. I remember when Ferri was new to the company she got a Dewar's profile ad that was on the back cover of general interest and fashion magazines. I think more ads like that would help, too. Ballet dancers are so beautiful and so glamorous, if people could just SEE them I can't help but feel that they'd be drawn to the performances. I wish they could sign up some of the dancers -- men as well as women -- for fashion shoots, or something of that kind.

I saw an ABT advertisement on TV (Network or cable---not PBS) when I was visiting my parents in New Hampshire. My mom thought Alessandra Ferri was so beautiful. Then I told her age and she just wouldn't believe me. She's so photogenic. Looks gorgeous in person too.