This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

FOOTNOTES: THE CLASSICS OF BALLET DVD is coming!

i would post this to the Videos section, but i don't have permissions.

i was browsing thru Japanese dvd listing today and found FOOTNOTES: THE CLASSICS OF BALLET DVD Volumes 1-4 are to be released 4/27.

I'm ready to preorder them except i need to know if they are (originally) in english. I know they are a canadian production and these dvds only have Japanese subs, so if they are in french, i am (somewhat) out of luck and will have to wait for an r1 release.

thx

-goro-

A series of Canadian-produced videos in which dancers discuss various ballets, aided by performance excerpts.  Here is a description (after a quick search) of the Coppelia/Cinderella program:

http://www.videoflicks.ca/titles/1098/1098...PE=0&ASSN=20482

It appears that most of the series is out of print, at least as far as the North American market goes.  Info, anyone?

i think this is the official site:

http://www.soundventure.com/web/footnotes/episodes.html

i notice that there are 20 1/2hr eps.

these dvds are 80+min long, so i assume 3 eps per dvd. that's 12 eps. i wonder what's with the missing 8?

-goro-

Edited by EvilNinjaX

Footnotes used to air on BRAVO!, and it is hosted by Frank Augustyn. Each program focuses on one ballet, or a certain topic (e.g. "the male dancer"). There are interviews, performance clips (mostly Kultur videos that already exist), and sometimes live segments performed by Kimberly Glasco. It's a good introduction to some of the great classics- the history and background of the ballet is discussed in fairly simple terms, so it is easy to follow. I think they'd be great for young ballet students. I wish they included more performance footage though.