48 replies to this topic

#46 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Thank you so much, Mme. Hermine, for the Gregory clip.

one of my favorite clips ever, if only because the beauty of Gregory as Aurora was so unexpected to me. She is such a mature adult dancer that her triumph as a 16 year old princess was priceless. Also, the balances!

Aurora, Gina: I'm with you on this. "Unexpected" is a key word. I had completely forgotten that Gregory could project such joyous abandon (while maintaining her technique).

Gregory's performance reminded me that there is an element of "balance" in arabesque which several of the other dances on this thread have either underplayed or fudged -- a clearly articulated descent from pointe. Gregory's are gorgeous.

#47 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Ah...just as Spessivtseva with the set of fish dives in the Adagio, added for her when she danced the role in Diaghilev's production...(at least according to Danilova's memoirs...). Well...isn't that also something we all expect nowadays...? I've also noticed the Russians omit them too in their productions... :(

Yes, I think the two additions had a lot of similarities. Both caught on and you almost always see both the au courrone as well as the fish dives in
Western productions. And the Russians seem to feel the need to mostly ignore both.

#48 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

One of the things that I loved about Cynthia Gregory was the way she used balances for musical phrasing throughout her dancing (not just in Rose A, but in general). She didn't just balance in just the big "ta da" moments but really used her ability to balance. For me she showed what pointe work was all about. But that's another topic. Thanks for posting her Rose Adagio.

#49 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

OMG! Yes, thank you for posting Cynthia Gregory's "Rose Adagio". I've seen a lot of RAs but this was perfection to me: technique, phrasing, grace, strength, and the ability to convey both the exuberance of youth with an awareness of the 'royalty' (shy dignity, politeness, knowledge of protocol?) of a princess'. I'm sorry I never saw her do it live, but luckily I have many memories of Ms. Gregory in other performances. I don't think I ever found fault with any of them. She was a beautiful dancer, with such strong technique; but she never allowed it to overshadow her artistry. Thanks again for this view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):