Toughest Evening-Length Ballet for Ballerina

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of the following evening-length ballets do you think is the most taxing FOR THE BALLERINA? (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following evening-length ballets do you think is the most taxing FOR THE BALLERINA?

1. La Bayadere (2 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. Don Quixote (3 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

3. Giselle (5 votes [8.62%])

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

4. Raymonda (11 votes [18.97%])

Percentage of vote: 18.97%

5. The Sleeping Beauty (15 votes [25.86%])

Percentage of vote: 25.86%

6. Swan Lake (22 votes [37.93%])

Percentage of vote: 37.93%

Vote

#1 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:21 PM

Okay, everyone loves a poll. :) We've had a lot of suggestions on the thread Toughest Ballets -- In Respect to Stamina started by fandeballet. Now we can add up the numbers.

You only get one choice here. :)

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

Before I vote, are we talking ballerina, premier danseur or corps? I don't want to vote for a candidate and then find out I was considering the wrong qualifications.

#3 Dale

Dale

Sapphire Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:03 PM

It says for the "ballerina" -- so I take that to be the lead female dancer. I voted for Raymonda but I have read dancers saying it is Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty and I was tempted to vote for either of those. My reasoning is that the ballerina in Raymonda hardly stops dancing. She's in every scene. The other variations aren't too long, so she doesn't have much of a break for a rest. In the others, while the lead ballerina's role is taxing, there's larger sections where she doesn't dance.

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

Overlooked the headline. Sorry.

At last year's Works & Process on Raymonda, Kolpakova noted that while R. had five variations, it was not a terribly fatiguing role. I take her at her word. Kitri demands a lot of exertion, and Aurora needs a sustained level of energy. Odette spends practically the whole ballet on her left leg.

I'm still not ready to vote.

#5 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:29 AM

I think that the whole thing about marathons vs sprints that came up on the other thread applies here too. Giselle and Raymonda are marathons, to me. And Don Q is a sprint. Bayadere is split between Nikiya and Gamzatti. That leaves Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake, which I'd say are "sprintathons." :) I picked Swan Lake because of the fact that it's like two ballets in one, and to be a good Odette and a good Odile take very different characteristics, and the ballet requires that the ballerina do justice to both, or else it doesn't work.

#6 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:35 AM

By ballerina, I meant the lead female.......Odette/Odile, Nikiya, Giselle, etc.

#7 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:06 PM

I chose Giselle---because of the anxiety a ballerina must feel over the interpretation. Fireworks wont help her out of this one.

#8 Daniil

Daniil

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:53 AM

Of course the Sleeping Beauty in the original soviet version!!! Look at how many variations she has just in the first act...

#9 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

I voted for Sleeping Beauty, which is tough because the dancer must be three different types--Swan Lake only has two!

#10 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

I voted for Giselle. It looks easier than Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty, but the choreography demands more stamina.

#11 Pointe1432

Pointe1432

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:59 PM

I'm with BalletNut, I voted for Swan Lake...

And while we're at it let's give a round of applause to the corps de ballet as well, I never truly appreciated how long they were onstage for in Act II until I did it myself. By the time that beautiful adagio starts and Odette is slowly kneeling to the floor, all I wanted to do was bribe the conductor to have the orchestra play it just alittle bit faster next time.

:beg:

#12 l321385

l321385

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

I voted for Swan Lake, because it takes a good dancer to be able to dance "good" and "evil" parts. In one, she has to be graceful swan like, the other she need to be more "bam" with the 32 fouttes.

I was torn between Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):