• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

This is a curious situation for Americans because, in our country, the reverse is true (opera costs much more than ballet...$250/ticket for a standard orchestra seat at the Met, for opera).

A bit off topic but worth mentioning, I think, lest someone might be discouraged by this from attending the MET opera. Here are the actual MET prices:

Location M-Th Fri SatM&E
Prime Orch: 170 200 215
Orch Bal 110 135 145
Orch Rear 95 100 115
New productions are higher priced for the first season.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:38 AM

My ticket for Carmen on October 30 was exactly $250 including tax & s/h. It's an old production (the Zefirelli) but because the opera was Carmen &, perhaps, because the conductor was Domingo, the prices were such. It wasn't even a center-orch seat but in the right-orch block. Excellent show. My husband & I aren't complaining...but it was incredibly pricey for an older production.

#18 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:14 PM

My ticket for Carmen on October 30 was exactly $250 including tax & s/h. It's an old production (the Zefirelli) but because the opera was Carmen &, perhaps, because the conductor was Domingo, the prices were such. It wasn't even a center-orch seat but in the right-orch block. Excellent show. My husband & I aren't complaining...but it was incredibly pricey for an older production.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just looked up the Oct 30 performance in the Met brochure & the top ticket price was $215. As tax is included, this must mean you paid $35 per ticket shipping & handling. That is, indeed, outrageous. Were they ordered from the Met? Could they have been left at the box office for that evening's pick-up for less, do you know?

As far as "prime", the side sections, first 6 or 8 seats off the aisle are considered still prime. Personally, I prefer them to the center of a row in the middle section as there are generally fewer heads in front.

As far as charging more for an individual artist, no company can do this as it would mean a statistical nightmare should that artist cancel.

If they don't charge more for a great conductor like Levine, de Billy, Thielemann, they certainly can't charge more for Placido. Great singer & musician though he is, he has yet to become a great conductor.

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:57 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as charging more for an individual artist, no company can do this as it would mean a statistical nightmare should that artist cancel.

If they don't charge more for a great conductor like Levine, de Billy, Thielemann, they certainly can't charge more for Placido. Great singer & musician though he is, he has yet to become a great conductor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They used to do this by having gala openings for productions, which were fundraisers in their own right. But that's a one-time event per production.

#20 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:37 AM

Oh never fear, hockeyfan. They still do that, too!

I did some online research on various ticket pricing & think this may deserve its own topic (epecially as we/I've wandered far afield from your original questions & all the helpful answers) but where to put it? As it involves opera & sports as well as ballet, it doesn't really belong in Anything Goes.

Any suggestions?

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:43 AM

I just looked up the Oct 30 performance in the Met brochure & the top ticket price was $215. As tax is included, this must mean you paid $35 per ticket shipping & handling. That is, indeed, outrageous. Were they ordered from the Met?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. There was sh/h plus some sort of internet fee. I ordered through the Met's own website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):