This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kernesse in brugges

paul

A ddivertissement was interpolated in the late 19th century (choreography by Carey, I believe; I forget whether it's Edouard or Gustav) that became part of the "traditional production." Dinna Bjorn rechoreographed it in 2000. It was not successful. Lloyd Riggins will be staging a new Kermesse this season. I don't know whether he'll go back to the old version or make another one himself.

I just saw the new Kermesse tonight. The Divertissement is closer in style to the pre-2000 one but not quite the same. It's certainly not the 2000 Bjorn version with harpsichord music.

The one tonight has a subtitle Psyche. Very anachreonic/mythological in filmy white toga-like garments. The male soloist in this section was SPECTACULAR - Andrew Bowman.

Does the subtitle "Psyche" ring a bell, Alexandra?

No mention in the programme notes about any choreographer besides Bournonville. So it's by Bournonville, we assume?

I'll get to reviewing the new 'Kermesse' & 'Ventana' productions tomorrow. Not totally felicitous.....sometimes downright bizarre..... Hint: 'Ventana' is now set in the Prado Museum! This is not a joke. Another hint: 'Kermesse' appears, at first, to be set in Santa Fe, New Mexico (or similar sunny desert town with adobe houses).

NN

Psyche rings no bells, and I haven't read or heard who choreographed the new divertissement. The divertissement in the 1979 Festival production was a post-Bournonville interpolation in Bournonville style by Carey.

I'll await your report with interest, Natalia!