This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mathieu Ganio in Tokyo (...and so is Legris)

Mathieu is currently guesting with Tokyo Ballet, dancing James in La Sylphide (choreography: Lacotte). His partners are Tokyo Ballet's very own, Yukari Saito and Mika Yoshioka. Manuel Legris is also there to support Ganio (and perhaps restaging the ballet too) - it's said that his name is credited in the programme as the coach.

I've read some favourable reviews in Japanese ballet-fans' sites. A good thing as Ganio's debut appearance in the country last summer didn't earn much credit for him!

http://www.nbs.or.jp/stages/sylphide/index.html

Thanks for the information, Naoko ! Will you have an opportunity to see Mathieu Ganio as James ? And do you know in which role(s) he appeared last summer ?

It's interesting to see that Legris is involved in coaching now.

The picture on the web site you linked is a bit surprising, as the costume doesn't look like that of James (no kilt...)

Thanks for the information, Naoko ! Will you have an opportunity to see Mathieu Ganio as James ? And do you know in which role(s) he appeared last summer ?.......  The picture on the web site you linked is a bit surprising, as the costume doesn't look like that of James (no kilt...)

No, unfortunately not - I'm in London and won't be able to see Mathieu in this performance with Tokyo Ballet. As for the appearance last summer - Mathieu danced in the following roles:

* Esmeralda PdD with Dupont

* Who Cares? with Abbagnato (in the 1st PdD)

* Sleeping Beauty PdD with Ould-Braham

* Allez Waltz

As I wrote back then in the thread: Legris gala in Tokyo, he did struggle, apparently exhausted from the sudden increases in workload immediately before the Tokyo gala. That caused open scepticism about his rapid asension to an etoile-dom among certain Japanese ballet-goers, who have eagle-eyes on quality of dancing, getting accustomed to seeing great and the greatest dancers from all over the world, and expect nothing but the best from a POB's etoile. (As for me, I never doubted the justification of his promotion, of course :angry2: )

The picture with no kilt in sight - it's odd, indeed, but don't worry - it's been confirmed by my contact that he did wore kilt in the real performances! I guess it's only that the impresario couldn't get hold of an appropriate picture in good time so put on anything's available to them instead!

Oh and there's one more thing that makes us green with envy - the Japanese national broadcaster NHK will show POB's La Sylphide with Dupont and Ganio taken last summer on a terrestrial TV (I think in its entirety), in March. Commercial DVD itself from TDK will be released later this month (on the 23rd) in the country. What about on French television's front - and do you know when commercial DVD becomes available in Europe?

Naoko, this sylphide hasn't been broadcasted yet here, at least not on the state TV (Maybe on Mezzo, but I'm not sure. Do you know it, Estelle ?).

As for the DVD, I think it will be released by the POB but I don't know when. I think the japonese version you mentionned will be the first one that will be available in Europe :angry2:

Thanks for the information, Naoko ! Will you have an opportunity to see Mathieu Ganio as James ? And do you know in which role(s) he appeared last summer ?.......  The picture on the web site you linked is a bit surprising, as the costume doesn't look like that of James (no kilt...)

As for the appearance last summer - Mathieu danced in the following roles:

* Esmeralda PdD with Dupont

* Who Cares? with Abbagnato (in the 1st PdD)

* Sleeping Beauty PdD with Ould-Braham

* Allez Waltz

As I wrote back then in the thread: Legris gala in Tokyo, he did struggle, apparently exhausted from the sudden increases in workload immediately before the Tokyo gala. That caused open scepticism about his rapid asension to an etoile-dom among certain Japanese ballet-goers, who have eagle-eyes on quality of dancing, getting accustomed to seeing great and the greatest dancers from all over the world, and expect nothing but the best from a POB's etoile.

Thanks for the explanation. You hadn't mentioned that in your posts about the Legris gala in Tokyo (by the way, for the people interested in re-reading it, here's a link:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...topic=17401&hl= )

so I didn't know about the reaction of some Japanese ballet-goers.

Oh and there's one more thing that makes us green with envy - the Japanese national broadcaster NHK will show POB's La Sylphide with Dupont and Ganio taken last summer on a terrestrial TV (I think in its entirety), in March.  Commercial DVD itself from TDK will be released later this month (on the 23rd) in the country.  What about on French television's front - and do you know when commercial DVD becomes available in Europe?

Oh, the Japanese audience really is lucky ! I haven't heard of any "Sylphide" being shown on TV in France, alas...

...Commercial DVD itself from TDK will be released later this month (on the 23rd) in the country.  What about on French television's front - and do you know when commercial DVD becomes available in Europe?

Sorry, if this is slightly off topic, but:

Will the DVD be released in Europe before summer? I will be in Japan in summer for a competition and would like maybe to buy such a dvd, if it won't be released here in europe. Are they selled in a normal DVD shop?

Edited by Daniil
Thanks for the explanation. You hadn't mentioned that in your posts about the Legris gala in Tokyo (by the way, for the people interested in re-reading it, here's a link:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...topic=17401&hl= )

so I didn't know about the reaction of some Japanese ballet-goers.

Sorry Estelle you are right - I DID mention what roles Mathieu danced in back then but not on some reactions from Japanese ballet-goers. I guess somewhat I hesitated to comment as I can't speak for others....

Sorry, if this is slightly off topic, but:

Will the DVD be released in Europe before summer? I will be in Japan in summer for a competition and would like maybe to buy such a dvd, if it won't be released here in europe. Are they selled in a normal DVD shop?

Hi Daniil - no it's not off topic at all! I did search some DVD vendors' websites (Amazon UK & France included) but have been unable to get even a hint of a possible release date..... let's hope they'll release it before long. As for a hunting ground for DVD in Japan - well it really depends on where you are heading to. All big towns have numerous retail shops which sell DVDs in general, but even in a ballet-crazed country as Japan, not many shops stock ballet DVDs aplenty, I guess. If you're really interested, I'd do some research and let you know where to look out for.

And best of luck in the competition!

Hi Daniil - no it's not off topic at all!  I did search some DVD vendors' websites (Amazon UK & France included) but have been unable to get even a hint of a possible release date..... let's hope they'll release it before long.  As for a hunting ground for DVD in Japan - well it really depends on where you are heading to.  All big towns have numerous retail shops which sell DVDs in general, but even in a ballet-crazed country as Japan, not many shops stock ballet DVDs aplenty, I guess.  If you're really interested, I'd do some research and let you know where to look out for.

Well, I will be around Nagoya and Aichi since there will be hold the competition.

:P

Well, I will be around Nagoya and Aichi since there will be hold the competition.
:P

I hope you find lots of good DVD's to bring home from Japan. And I add my best wishes for you in competition. If you have any interest in writing about your experiences during competition, we'd love to hear them (however short or long).

OK here's the search result.......

First of all, please note Nagoya is a major Japanese city of over 2 million population..... so I'd say you'll be in a better position to find ballet DVDs/videos, in general, than in smallish/provincial towns. Yet some local residents have recommended that your best bet might be the shop called Chacott, a country's leading ballet-goods retailer. There seems to be two branches in downtown Nagoya, both are located in a convenient position from Aichi Geijutsu Gekijo, which I'd presume will be the venue for the competition you're taking part. They have the website in English version, so if you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.chacott-jp.com/e/index.html

Best thing, I should think, is ask people around once you're there - your fellow Japanese contestants, general public......I guess they'll be happy to help.

Wow - at last! Thanks for the info., cygneblanc and Sophia.

Actually, having recently acquired a copied dvd of the televised version (that went on-air in Japan in early March - presumably the same version as the commercial dvd), I've been deprived of my sleep - just can't stop watching it over and over again! The more I see it, the more I love it....

The three leads are Dupont/Ganio/Hurel. If my memory serves, all three made "debut in the role" when this was shot? Amazing, just amazing....

Oh and someone kindly sent me this - Mathieu Ganio is featured in the current issue of a Japanese weekly magazine, "AERA"; his photo adorns the cover.

http://www3.asahi.com/opendoors/zasshi/aera/

Sophia,

Welcome here :wink: . I don't wish to offend you but I just want to make it clear to others that I refuse to read the forum you mentionned and the info was given to me by a british journalist who got an ad from TDK.

And as far I'm concerned, I don't think it's a good idea to refer to some french forums here, whatever they are ..

[ADMIN BEANIE ON]

To clarify our policy, while we encourage and appreciate our foreign posters who are kind enough to post to us in English, we are an English-only board.

There are circumstances in which it is appropriate to link to a non-English site. These are:

1. To cite an original source for news or critical viewpoints that are posted on Ballet Talk in English summary. Examples of original sources are newspapers, magazines, critical sites, critics' blogs, official websites.

2. To share photos from original sources for which knowledge of a foreign language isn't necessary.

[ADMIN BEANIE OFF]

Well, I think I have to accept the rules... But, I have just read the rules concerning the links to other websites, and what you say here seems to me a bit contradictory with the general rules of this website. This story of language does not convince me at all. Anyway, let's stop here. That does not matter.

Cygneblanc, what you say makes me very sad.

Thanks hockeyfan228 for clarifications about the policy.

....but I'm not too certain about a rationality of the links I inserted in my recent posts - all Japanese-only websites. In these cases, should brief translations be accompanied??