This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The GatesAny site specific choreography?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:59 AM

The Gates are only "beautiful" because the park is beautiful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, just like nail soup!

One of my favorite New Yorker cartoons shows a couple of people on one of the pedestrian bridges looking out over the park, and if I'm remembering this correctly, the caption is "Hail to Thee, Frederick Law Olmstead!"

#32 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:08 PM

I don't think anyone has posted this yet (apologies if I missed it) but Tom Phillips wrote about this on DanceView Times today, as a dance event.

Invitation to the Dance

----------------

I've read this thread with great interest -- I think it's the kind of discussion Christo would like to happen. Whatever your opinion, people are talking about it, and for the artist, that's good. And maybe people will look at the park differently? (Or maybe not.)

In one of the TV interviews leading up to The Unwrapping, Jeanne-Claude told a story of two reactions to another project they'd done, this one in Hot Pink. "It's horrible! It looks just like a big bottle of Pepto-Bismol," complained one person. "It's beautiful! It looks just like a big bottle of Pepto-Bismol," exulted another.

#33 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

from the Tom Phillips article:
..."With the wind at your back on a blustery day, the saffron fabrics feel like sails straining ahead, pulling you forward. Going into the wind they can be the wings of a mother hen, gathering in her chicks."

The above reflects another effect my friend mentioned, since she walked through the gates on a blustery day. When walking with the wind, she felt blown through the gates, hastened along by the flapping drapes; when walking against it, it was like an invitation to enter the orange world.

Now I wish I had been able to stay in New York longer!

#34 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

Just one more comment about the color, I promise :rolleyes:

I went to my local Macy' s this morning and walked through the new Spring line of clothes---suits, coats, jackets, sweaters, blouses, pants were all aglow in Saffron? Pumpkin? Orange?---only the color was variously identified as Coral--Pimento--and Fire. :wub: Cristo may be able to recoup some of his money by turning the shades into dresses.

In a more restrained tone: I would not want to see the gates in MY park. The Park I walk in almost every day (I recall reading somewhere that it was designed by Olmstead) is b eautiful and serene, especially now with the frozen ponds and white snowy hilltops and and the black branches of the trees. The Gates are an intrusion of public space---and the Park should not be violated for someone's artistic interest. Buy your own Park.

#35 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:54 PM

Have you touched the fabric, atm? I wouldn't wear that! Stiff, heavy, and unquestionably synthetic (nylon, to be precise).

#36 Guest_nycdog_*

Guest_nycdog_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:32 PM

With the 5 inch snowfall in the park last night the Gates were like orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream today!

Regarding the color did you notice that Jean-Claude has orange hair a similar color? I happened to see her and Christo in the park on 10 February just before they got in a Limo, when I saw her hair I thought she was possibly the inspiration for the Gate color. She has had that color for a long time apparently.

#37 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:25 PM

One of my favorite New Yorker cartoons shows a couple of people on one of the pedestrian bridges looking out over the park, and if I'm remembering this correctly, the caption is "Hail to Thee, Frederick Law Olmstead!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that made me think, thank you. Olmsted and Christo both transformed the space, but I wonder if we can't roughly measure the relative value of their transformations by comparing how long Olmsted's work has continued to delight with how long even the most enraptured Christo fans would want the Gates to remain.

#38 BalletGirl

BalletGirl

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

One man asked me my thoughts on The Gates and I replied, "Well, I guess they are a little disappointing." His response was, "Well in my opinion, The Gates look like an out-of-control marketing strategy by Home Depot!"

#39 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:07 AM

I think the desire to express onesself through art has been proven universal among humans and even been shown to exist in non-human beings.  (Unfortunately, the link in that post does not bring up any examples just now.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But this link does. It also lets you see the each artist's individual style.

#40 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:38 AM

I went on a cold, rather desolate day. This installation is not offensive nor is it inspiring. I thought it might look better in Summer.

#41 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:43 PM

Definitely not saffron! Anyway, I thought the concept more enchanting than the actual execution -- though the effect is more charming when the wind blows.

And here's a link to an installation on a slightly different scale:

http://www.not-rocke...e.com/gates.htm :yahoo:

#42 Guest_nycdog_*

Guest_nycdog_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:00 PM

That's great Kathleen! Mini-Gates! I wonder WHO it was that actually engineered the Gates and decided they needed 7500 "weighing 5,290 US Tons of steel (4,799 Metric Tons) (10,580,000 pounds) (equal to 2/3 the steel in the Eiffel Tower)."

#43 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:09 PM

...Cristo may be able to recoup some of his money by turning the shades into dresses.

That was only one of the ideas offered up in Canada's Globe and Mail a few days ago. From bed sheets for the poor :ermm: and emergency clothing for disaster relief :thanks: to dew collectors :wacko:, life jackets for Third World countries :wub:, and ground cover for Yankee Stadium :yucky:, there is no end to people's (questionable) creativity as they imagine the post-exhibit uses of the cooked buttery sweet potato {Notice I did not say saffron! :wink: } coloured swaths of fabric!

Recycling ideas for Christo's Gates :rofl:

#44 lampwick

lampwick

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:11 PM

I'd call the color Saffron. They're identical to a Tibetan Monk's robe. If the fabric had more "flow", this might come across more. I think the choice of fabric wasn't quite right.

#45 Anthony_NYC

Anthony_NYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

She said that viewing it from different aspects lets you see either a wall of saffron? pumpkin? tangerine? (definately not terra cotta, peach, canteloupe, salmon, coral or shrimp)

Lol. For goodness' sake, people--they're ORANGE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):