This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who has the best technique?

chrisk217

Well, only looking at the technique in the way of looking at the "amount" of doing somebody technical things I can say:

Tetsuya Kumakawa

If your looking for the best technique AND form (this means a goodlooking style) then I can offer you:

Mikhail Baryshnikov

From currently performing dancers...I'd say Larissa Lezhnina, Michelle Wiles, and Maxim Belotserkovsky.

Among the recently retired...Elisabeth Platel and Isabelle Guérin. Are Manuel Legris and Laurent Hilaire still dancing? I'd put them on here, and I know you're all sick of this by now, but I just have to say Sizova one more time :D

Oh...and although I never saw her, Pierina Legnani seems to have been quite formidable...wine with your adagio, anyone? :P

The purest technique I can think of was on a comparatively lesser known dancer - Steven Hyde from Winnipeg and ABT. I don't know what it is that David Moroni did there, but all the dancers I knew there were trained to have technique that was as developed as their body would allow. We all used to watch Steven in class whenever we wanted to know how a step was done. He was the best classroom dancer I can recall.

Retired ballerinas: #1 - I. A. Kolpakova, Dame Merle Park, Terekhova, Komleva, Tchyentchikova, Maximova, Makarova, Cynthia Gregory, Carla Fracci (for the Romantic style), Merrill Ashley, Suzanne Farrell, Allegra Kent, Melissa Hayden, Evdokimova, Patricia McBride, G. Kirkland, Chauvire, Shelest, Semenyaka and Haydee.

Recently retired ballerinas: Asylmuratova, Ayupova, Platel.

Retired best supporting soloist: I. Tchyistyakova (may not count here, but I give her honorable mention for being an exemplary dancer).

Ballerinas currently in action: Julie Kent, Ananiashvili, Murphy, Alexandrova, Pavlenko, Tarasova, Rojo, Zanowsky, Lezhnina, and Ferri

Should've made principal by now but hasn't: I. Zhelonkina (another honorable mention).

Man still moving: M. Baryshnikov

Retired men: Vasiliev, Fernando Bujones, David Wall, Sir Anthony Dowell and

Wayne Eagling.

Men currently in action: Jonathan Cope, Roberto Bolle and Tzisarkidze.

Recently retired ballerinas:  . . .  Ayupova  . . .

:) Oh, tell me it isn't so!!!! :beg:

Hi Cabro! I sincerely hope not as well. She's still listed among the Principals on the Maryinsky website, but she's been absent from the stage for a very long

time. In recent years she was treated like a quaint relic from the past vs. the "new" Kirov generation and style. I learned she moved to Helsinki with her family months ago. They may not have updated the roster. If she's retired, she went out very quietly (like Altynai). Disappointing, huh? Can someone confirm whether she's still dancing or not? Thanks!

My list is...........

Retired: Bujones, Barishnikov, Dowell, Cynthia Gregory, Merrill Ashley, Natalia

Markarova, Gesley Kirkland, when she was on her "A" game.( even though she fell a bit too much for me, and her career was shortened considerably by various problems) Peter Martins. He did the best James(?) in La Sylphide I ever saw...........(underrated???)

Active: C. Acosta, H.Cornejo, A.Corrella, J.M. Correno,Alina Corciecu, Gillian Murphy, Jenni Semogi(NYCB), Tamara Rojo, Laurante Hiliare(POB).

Fine, brilliant, I appreciate a dancer who can at least perform the steps, is it not the most important thing? We want an Odile who does not flounder at fouette 17 and then wobbles about, trying to improvise desperately.

But, and here is the but, is technique so desperately important? What about interpretation of a role? Why all this fuss about technique? If you want to see weird stuff, there is always the Olympic games gymnastics or the circus for that matter.

No, any day, give me an ADEQUATE Technique and I mean people who can hold a balance, jump cleanly and execute a couple of turns without veering off centre.

When I want real weird stuff there are the sports channels on TV.

When I watch ballet, I want a total experience, there must be art and an artistic

interpretation, musicality, acting, sense of period -

when for example older ballets were choreographed, there were no six o'clock

arabesques - so respect that. There is always - in all arts - a bit of poetic licence, but do not abuse it.

I thought we were discussing ART! Sorry to shout, but it seemed appropriate in this case. :(

Fine, brilliant, I appreciate a dancer who can at least perform the steps, is it not the most important thing? We want an Odile who does not flounder at fouette 17 and then wobbles about, trying to improvise desperately.

But, and here is the but, is technique so desperately  important? What about interpretation of a role? Why all this fuss about technique? If you want to see weird stuff, there is always the Olympic games gymnastics or the circus for that matter.

No, any day, give me an ADEQUATE Technique and I mean people who can hold a balance, jump cleanly and execute a couple of turns without veering off centre.

When I watch ballet, I want a total experience, there must be art and an artistic

arabesques - so respect that. There is always - in all arts - a bit of poetic licence, but do not abuse it. 

I thought we were discussing ART! Sorry to shout, but it seemed appropriate in this case. :tiphat:

Pamela,

I couldn't agree more. There are folks for which technique is the primary consideration, but I'm not in that group. what initially drew me to ballet (and opera, theater, and other performing arts) is expression and communication.

More than exceptional technique I want a performer to GIVE me something.

Not to say that I can't be impressed by an ice cold dancer, working in a vacuum, with a very impressive technique, but that is the exception for me rather than the rule. And this feeling of communication is still what keeps me captive.

You can :angry2: at me on this, I'm in agreement with you!

:)

Richard

But, and here is the but, is technique so desperately  important? What about interpretation of a role? Why all this fuss about technique? If you want to see weird stuff, there is always the Olympic games gymnastics or the circus for that matter.

I thought we were discussing ART! Sorry to shout, but it seemed appropriate in this case. :tiphat:

Pamela,

maybe when I asked the question I did not make myself clear. My english is not very good and sometimes that leads to misunderstandings.

When I say technique I don't mean spectacular pyrotechnic leaps or things like that. I am talking more about the ideal clean execution of everything from the simpler step to the most challenging.

I understand technique as a component of beauty and isn't beauty art's main purpose?

In that respect, Leigh Witchel's answer about the "best classroom dancer" was very close to the spirit of my question.

Christine

In reply to Chrisk 217, first of all I must say that nobody, and I do mean nobody, would misinterpret your English. Unfortunately, one gets no inkling from where the poster comes (pity, I think), but you are crystal clear! As for myself, I started learning English at the tender age of ten, now I speak it, read it and write it as well as Swedish, actually I read English better than Swedish.

As for Leigh, yes, he has a point and I agree with him.

Sometimes one sees a young dancer, perfect in every way, turnout is perfect,

adagio pleasing, jumps high and small jumps neat, turns multiple and steady -

yet, this dancer leaves you stone cold - you see a spectacle of classroom exercises - there is no soul.

Maybe, this could be a question of maturity. Some youngsters are extremely self-

conscious and dare not project themselves and shield themselves behind bravura

feats. Never having been shy in the least myself and often regarded shy people as some kind of stuck up idiots, I have now come to the conclusion that shy people often are frightened of what others might say. This also, I think, applies to dance, some dancers adhere strictly to the rule book and dare not show their personality.

Dont get me wrong here, by "showing personality" I do not mean mannerisms.

We are all different, in everyday life, and as dancers, but of course, as a performer, demands are put upon you, demands which you would not find in daily life.