This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tall vs. short ballerinos

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

I do agree with you that tall dancers (of both sexes) tend to be technically a bit less dazzling than their shorter colleagues.

i think the one exception that really sticks out in my mind is Nicholas Le Riche. He seems quite tall (and big all the way around) and leaps like a tiddlywink! And how tall is Desmond Richardson? he also seems of above-average height.

-goro-

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,843 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

An interview with Fabrice Calmels in which he discusses his height.

Yet as demanding as his career is, it's also been very worthwhile. "When I look back, I really appreciate that I'm the tallest ballet dancer in the world," he continued. "I'm 6'6" and a half. When everybody thought I wouldn't have a career, I kind of broke those boundaries. I proved that it was possible that a person my height could do ballet. I've danced big ballets such as Othello [and] Apollo from Balanchine. That's a huge achievement."

#18 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Calvin Royal III of the ABT corps is tall, and he just gets better and better all the time. I see a bright future for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):