This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ossie Davis' death at the age of 87 was just announced. I will remember this great actor's magnificent voice mostly for its urgent and tireless advocacy for social justice.

I am grateful, too, that he lived to receive (with Ruby Dee) the Kennedy Center Honor two months ago. My condolences go out to Ms. Dee.

From the article in the Washington Post today,

"When World War II was over, there was a strong feeling in the country that racism had to be attacked," he told The Washington Post. "The artistic community seemed to be leading the way. It wasn't just stories for dramatic purpose, and it wasn't just white folks doing good. It was a series of serious statements made by Americans of what kind of world we have from here on in."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...6-2005Feb4.html

We've lost such a great voice, both for theater and for social justice. My sympathy to his widow, Ruby Dee.

Ossie Davis' death at the age of 87 was just announced.  I will remember this great actor's magnificent voice mostly for its urgent and tireless advocacy for social justice.

I am grateful, too, that he lived to receive (with Ruby Dee) the Kennedy Center Honor two months ago.  My condolences go out to Ms. Dee.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Ruby Dee is my Sorority sister; my condolences

to her and her family.