• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

What happens to Hillarion after his encounter with the wilis? When he is pushed backstage by the 2 wilis it's not clear whether:

a) he is released

b) his dance-torture will continue backstage until death by offstage wilis

c) his pursuit by the wilis is accidentally cut short when the wilis find Albrecht and Giselle loitering backstage

d) nobody knows

Can anyone familliar with the libretto shed light on this?

:beg: in advance!

#2 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:29 AM

He is pushed into the lake and drowns. Or if the Trockaderos are doing it, he falls into the orchestra pit!

#3 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:59 AM

What happens to Hillarion after his encounter with the wilis?

Cute, chrisk217! :rolleyes:
When you are watching Act II Giselle, there is no "backstage" -- at least not if the company dancing it has successfully transported you into another world! The Wilis, as cargill said, propel poor Hilarion to his death in the lake. The Wilis are in a forest glade (conveniently located next to a lake), turned eerie at night by their ghostly presence.

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:48 PM

Wilis are spirits of women who have been betrayed by their lovers before their wedding day. They are not gentle sprits, but vengeful ones. Their very unearthliness, with no room for compassion for their unfortunate male victims makes them even more interesting.

The most chilling Wilis I have seen are portrayed by the Kirov/Maryinsky Ballet. Their turning, one by one, to swifty consign Hilarion to the lake is guaranteed to make one shudder. Myrthe, their queen, is implacable when Giselle pleads for the life of her love, Albrecht....when this role is done appropriately it is immensely powerful and a great vehicle for a strong and dramatic dancer.

#5 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:33 PM

Myrthe, their queen, is implacable when Giselle pleads for the life of her love, Albrecht....when this role is done appropriately it is immensely powerful and a great vehicle for a strong and dramatic dancer.

This post of yours, Juliet, led me to do a search until I found a 3 year old thread on great Myrthas. I picked it up with a new post and hope others will continue to contribute to it. It's a very interesting subject.
Here's the link:
Great Myrthas

#6 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:49 PM

Yes, I remember this thread--we got quite involved!!!

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

In Gautier's description of the libretto, he says, "Good riddance, Hilarion. May the fishes eat your eyes." Makes Myrtha sound sort of like The Godmother.

#8 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:04 PM

What happens to Hillarion after his encounter with the wilis?

Cute, chrisk217! :rolleyes:
When you are watching Act II Giselle, there is no "backstage" -- at least not if the company dancing it has successfully transported you into another world! The Wilis, as cargill said, propel poor Hilarion to his death in the lake. The Wilis are in a forest glade (conveniently located next to a lake), turned eerie at night by their ghostly presence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just thought that the lake was background decoration! (and I have a tape of ABT/Fracci/Bruyn that very clearly shows H. rolling on a slope and then a shot of willis reflected in the lake!!!) Thanks everyone :blink:

:angry2: Perhaps, in one of the future egregious attempts to make Giselle accessible to a modern audience, there will be sound effects for the imagination-challenged like myself: a big "Splash" in the lake and then gurgles as Hillarion sinks... One shudders at the thought... :D

#9 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:46 AM

:angry2: Now there's a thought! In a "rethinking" of Giselle, maybe myrtha and the wilis could be seen giving him cement overshoes??

In Gautier's description of the libretto, he says, "Good riddance, Hilarion.  May the fishes eat your eyes."  Makes Myrtha sound sort of like The Godmother.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#10 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:02 AM

:shhh: Shhh...we don't want to give anyone any ideas... :angry2:

#11 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:13 AM

When you think of it, it's already there. She makes both Hilarion and Albrecht "offers they can't refuse"! :angry2:

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:29 AM

so in act one, albrecht could be a dashing young 'made man' who hits the village up for protection money?
(stop me...)

When you think of it, it's already there.  She makes both Hilarion and Albrecht "offers they can't refuse"!    :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#13 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:57 AM

And then the local consigliere shows up in his armored Cadillac....

#14 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:10 AM

and albert's (he has to be albert) moll with the platinum hair and floor length fur coat gives giselle a ten carat tennis bracelet?

#15 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:44 AM

Yep, after the Mafia Rigoletto the Mafia Giselle...
Giselle caught up in a mob war...

Hillarion: He's lying Giselle ... Look at his Thomson machinegun, look at the blonde...
Giselle: Oh!
Albrecht: That's my family Giselle, it's not me.
Giselle: I know it was you Albrechto. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!

Then Hillarion goes off to sleep with the fishes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):