This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suzanne Farrell to receive Capezio Award

You're right, perky, especially since there has not been a dance honor since Baryshnikov's in 2000. (I'm categorizing Chita Rivera as a Broadway performer)

I would have thought Ms. Farrell's extroardinarily generous teaching schedule and company directorship in addition to her dancing would have sealed this by now.

Perhaps if her Don Q makes the splash it should we'll see her up in the balcony along with ...let's see.... the way things have been going... Adam Sandler, David Letterman, Dolly Parton...and Burt Reynolds!

As the KC Honors continue to poop out (or should I say "pop" out?) I find myself no longer wondering whether Ms. Farrell is worthy of one, but instead: are they are worthy of her?

Suzanne won the Dance Magazine Award in 1976.

As for the Kennedy Center Honors, I don't know who gets to vote, but I'm guessing that her chances may have been diminished because of her official connections to the Kennedy Center -- the summer intensive and the Suzanne Farrell Ballet. Nevertheless, I share the hope that her revival of Balanchine's Don Q in June will result in seating her among Watermill's distinguished company.

Hey there,

Sadly, I have never had the opportunity to see Ms. Farrell perform. Not even on film. I have seen several photographs of her and she was simply beautiful. I hope to pick up "Elusive Muse" very soon. The image of Don Q with Mr. Balanchine is one of my favorite things. I may add, I am a photographer. You know a performer had an impact when simple snap shots make you a believer. I can't wait to see her in motion. Congrats Ms. Farrell and thanks.

If all of "Elusive Muse" is like the first half-hour (all I've been able to see so far), it's got lots of tasty clips of her dancing, 32tendu, but I wanted to remind you of what you may already know, that you can have more of a gorge on it in the two "Choreography by Balanchine" DVDs recently released; on the first one, she dances all of "Tzigane" and the pas de deux from "Diamonds", and on the second, she dances in "Chaconne", all with Martins.

(Not long ago, I watched the VHS video with the "Jewels" excerpts and "Stravinsky Violin Concerto" with a cultured friend, an amateur classical musician with just a little contact with ballet - some lessons when she was young, a couple of visits to performances, including one in Russia - who had worked as a graphic designer, and so had a keen eye, and when the tape was finished, her first question was, "Who were the ones who danced in the white costumes?" I started to say, "Suzanne Farrell and ..." "Oh, that's Suzanne Farrell! She was really..." Yes, indeed. Adequate words are hard to find.)

But part of the fun of "Elusive Muse" is that we get glimpses of her earlier in her career, and even in her childhood.

Sure, video isn't the same as seeing her on stage, but if you watch enough good video, I think you adapt to it some, and you notice what's different about her, like my friend, who had obviously heard of Farrell, did.

Thanks Jack,

I'll be sure to request those videos from the library.

This weekend I was looking through a friends Karinska Costume book and there are some great images of Ms. Farrell there. Some that stand out in my mind are Don Q, Bugaku, and Jewels. Can't wait to see the video/dvd's you suggested.

Take care,