This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Fedotov Swan Lake CDs

Does anyone have a copy of the Fedatov Swan Lake on CD that they would be willing to sell (highly unlikely) [snip] it? It is out of print and it seems more likely I'll strike oil before I find a copy of it.

Thanks in advance.

jllaney@yahoo.com

Edited by hockeyfan228

After hunting and digging and all that kinda stuff online, I emailed a guy that used to work for JVC classics (it was a few months ago when I contacted him, i dont remember the specifics of his job or where I found out about him). He remembers when the Swan lake cd was discontinued, and told me that all copies that had not been shipped to stores wrere destroyed. The masters were sent to Japan and put on to some kind of micro-film or something like that. I guess theyll just sit that way and rot till kingdom-come :) .

Perhaps theyll be re-released again. Hey - If anyone would like to help me, I would like to do some digging around to find out just who is in charge of deciding what gets discontinued, and put back into print, etc. for JVC classics, the label the hollowed Fedotov "Swan Lake" recordings were released on. Perhaps we could get a petition together! HA!

I think a few of us could dig around online to find out whos in charge @ JVC classics of desisions concerning discontinuing cds etc., and constantly email to get results! Im getting real sick of GOOD ballet music recordings going out of print all the time. Such a tragedy!

Just a note - the Bonynge recording of the complete La Bayadere was put out of print for a while but then re-released a few years later, so maybe this will hapen to our dear Swan Lake recording.

This recording of Swan lake is to special to not be available. So what does anyone think??

I agree! I am just trying to find it in Poland and maybe will get it, but it's hard to tell at this point. I'll gladly share a copy if I'll get one!

I'm afraid that the Bonynge example is not quite valid here because Bonyng was recording for Decca which re-releases their CDs from time to time. Here the case is a bit different because it's not a major company and it is probably too expensive to keep it in print if it's such a well kept secret. It's a great pity but that's how it works.

Best,

I.

Millions of people all over the world go see performances of Swan Lake each year but apparently conductors and record producers are not among them. Only one conductor(Fedetov) bothered to record the moden version and then I hear the remaining CDs were DESROYED!!!!!!!

Gasp......

I shake my head in amazement that to get Odile's Black Swan Variation I have to pull it off of a DVD. This is Swan Lake we're talking about. How can this not be available?

It must be a conspiracy.

Anyway, thanks for trying and keep us all posted if anyone finds a copy of it.

And to respond to Ariodante: I have the SB CDs and I adore them. There was a good post on them about two months back and there were several comments. To me, what's striking about these Cds are the intangibles. The tempos, the texture, all of the things that lend themselves to dancing are very good. You can't listen to the Rose adagio without it bringing a smile to your face. Or I can't anyway. :smilie_mondieu:

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I've ordered the SB under Fedotov and I'm looking forward to hearing it!

As to the Russian company, I wrote to them asking whether it's the same recording as the one on JVC and if not, when it was made. I will keep you posted about it.

Best,

Iza

Ariodante -

The Sleeping Beauty CDs is perhaps the BEST recording you can ever get. It is even better than Gergievs recording, which is to symphonic. The brass section over powers the rest of the orchestra in some passages, not to mention that he conducts way to fast. It is DEFINATLY not worth 50 bucks.

When I heard it I was so happy (I listen to it ALL the time) that there was a recording available with the proper tempi and feeling that only a ballet conductor could give the Tchaikovsky masterpiece. All of the instruments are recorded wondefully - sometimes digital recordings make classical music TO clear, if you get what I mean. I think Analog (ADD) sounds WAY better for classical music. The instruments "balance" better.

This recording has all the additions and changes from the 1890 version, with the exception of Auroras act II variation, which is not the gold fairy variation from act III (which replaced the one Tchaikovsky composed in 1890) but the original one Tchaikovsy wrote, restored in the Sergeyev revival I believe.

Hey Anthony NYC - Where did you find this recording???? It is definalty the sacred Swan Lake of Fedotov!!!!! :yahoo: I thinks this is the answer to our prayers for this recording!!!!

Solor, I hope my SB under Fedotov comes soon - I can't wait!

I'm still wating for an answer from the Fedotov Cd company - I just want to be sure that it is the same recording. I know it may be enough that Fedotov is conducting it but what if it is some "terribly live" recording that will be hard to listen to?

I also came across a recording of SL by Svetlanov that also seems to be some sort of performance score, with the Black Swan pdd played in the 3rd act. How does it compare with Fedotov in terms of arrangement of the numbers?

Thanks,

Iza

Dear Fedotov fans, here is the message I got from the Russian company:

<<We don't actually know if the recording you are asking about is the

same one as on our CD or not. We have released the CD with the

cooperation with Victor Fedotov's widow and received the phonogram

from her. The exact date of recording is unfortunately unknown to us.

With the very best regards

Maria Parshina>>

She confirmed that it is a studio recording.

Best,

I.

Edited by Ariodante

Wait, is this the recording with the additional, obscure music in the 4th act. The waltz of the swans and the pas de deux, I mean. ????

I used to have it, then someone snagged it and has not returned iT!

Would love to get another copy!

:)

broadly, the 'version' of SWAN LAKE being discussed here is the 1895 version arranged for the Peitpa/Ivanov staging at the Maryinsky, which remains give or take tinkerings here and there the 'standard' 'text' of SWAN LAKE even as the most frequently recorded version is the 1877 'original' version as written at that time by P.I.Tcaikovsky, which is hardly ever staged in the strict '77 arrangement of the score.

the initially JVC-released SWAN LAKE (conducted by Victor Fedetov, famed Kirov Ballet conductor) was marketed as "THE SWAN LAKE (Complete), Petipa/Ivanov/Drigo Edition, 1895."

In addition to the now 'standard' 3-act arrangement of the score, the JVC release included the following 'Reference Works': Dance of the corps de ballet and dwarves; Russian dance, Scene, and Dance of the Little Swans.

The last act, Act 3 in this version, was recorded on Fedetov's recording as: Interlude, Dance of the Swans, Scene, Scene, Scene, Finale & Apotheosis.

Sp does anyone know, the track listing of the Drigo revival of the Swan lake score?I have it in a book "Tchaikvoskys Ballets" but Id like to know what this disc has track for track, if anyone knows.

Hey dont worry! Yu can get through these people

Swan Lake 1895 Petipa, Ivanov, Drgio - Victor Fedotov

Paying for it is a bit of a pain, but Im gonna get it this week! :angry2:

It is a REAL pain - you can't just pay with a credit card but you have to send them your recent statement and a photocopy of the front and back of your card and some ID. That's really too much! I've never made a bank transfer so I don't know if that's a big trouble. I think I'll wait until this Cd is available through other sites. Solor, if you buy it, let us know how it went.

Iza

:crying:W A R N I N G ! ! !

I would be very, very careful about verifying the legitimacy of these people. The info they request (and the unavailability of conventional means of payment) suggests that you may make yourself vulnerable to identity theft. I understand that this is a dearly coveted item, but identity theft can ruin your life.

:crying:W A R N I N G ! ! !

I would be very, very careful about verifying the legitimacy of these people.  The info they request (and the unavailability of conventional means of payment) suggests that you may make yourself vulnerable to identity theft.  I understand that this is a dearly coveted item, but identity theft can ruin your life.

That's a good point but I've seen a few legit sites which use this kind of method - they refer you to a special site where you can make a paymen t because they are unable to receive payments for some technical reasons. The site they refer you to is a kind of paypal site and a legitimate one. As to their requests about your identity documents and your statement, this is also something that those sites often do. I remember a nice British mail order shop MDT that requires their foreign customers send a xerox copy of their credit card which at the time I wanted to create my account sounded absurd to me (and it still sounds). Still, they are legit. But it is always best to avoid creating too many of those accounts that's why it is best to find a shop where you just pay with a credit card without any intermediaries. This whole process of creating a new account put me off this whole transaction - it is too much trouble.

Best,

I.

It is too bad, indeed, it is so hard to get these Fedotov cd's. However the info these people want sounds prohibitive.

I would have loved to get hold of this music. Only recently I listened, for the first time in fifteen years, to the Previn / LSO recordings of Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty. I couldn't believe these were my reference recordings through the seventies and early eighties. The playing is so sloppy and unidiomatic.

And the Pletnev is really accurate and beautiful, but it's true the music is rushed quite a bit occasionally.

WAIT A SEC - Ariodante -

where does it say that you have to send a copy of your ID and a copy of your bank statement????? I registered with Moneybookers - these are the folks that the site with the Swan lake CD uses for payment. And after I registered I saw nothing about copies of ID's or bank statements........as far as I know you just make the transfer of funds and then order the CD from the site you wish.

If I missed something please let me know!

I SEE - you only have to give ID and all that when you use a credit card.

Bank transfers are more simple. You just go to your bank, transfer the money to the bank used by Moneybookers, and go to the site with the cd, buy, and they debit the Moneybookers account.

There are two sites that manage payment for the site that is selling the CD:

1. Moneybookers, for which if you select credit card, you must supply fax the info that ariodante described

2. ikobo.com, which is down right now, and may not ask for the same.

When I ordered tickets from the Bolshoi, they used a third-party payment processor. It's fairly standard for foreign transactions off sites from Europe and Russia.

If the processor is legit, then the request for a fax of the credit card is to protect the site from massive credit card fraud, because it shows that the person ordering is in physical possession of the card, and has not purchased a stolen credit card number for $5. I suspect it qualifies the processor for better chargeback protection as a result.

If the processor is not legit, then the processor has possession of the "CVN" code, the 3- digit code on the back of the credit card (Visa/MC/JCB/Discover) which is not printed on the front of the card or on credit card statements. The processor also has a copy of the signature.

If you choose Moneybookers and "bank transfer," you do not give banking details to the site. You are given bank transfer instructions to deposit the money in a Commerzbank account in Frankfurt, using a transaction ID that links the payment to the original order. However, expect the cost of a foreign bank transfer to be at least $30 from the US, making the cost of the CD at least $45.

While I can't say whether or not this is a legitimate company, it certainly has made a big effort to appear as one, capturing IP addresses as backup and banking with one of the world's major banks.

Thanks, Helene, for this useful info! thanks.GIF

Solor, I forgot where it was but it must have been in the credit card payment method. I don't know about bank transfers - I never use them because I heard money transfers abroad can be tricky, although they are generally safe.
I hope they'll make Fedotov SL CD available through other sites where you can just pay with a CC but without those intermediaries. I've just got my Sleeping Beauty and that should keep me busy for a while :-)... I asked many ballet people in Poland about the SL under Fedotov but nobody seems to have it. There used to be a lot of Russian recordings on Polish market but things must have changed over the last few years.

Best,
Iza

Edited by Helene