This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A new étoile for the POB (W. Romoli)

I just watched the DVD "Dancer's Dream: Raymonda" (which was wonderful, btw), and Romoli was one of the three Abderamans. I thought he was the best -- he had a wonderfully sensuous, pantherine way of moving that contrasted nicely with the upright classical Jeans de Brienne.

But from what I gather from this thread, étoiles are traditionally the Jeans of the ballet world -- that is, danseurs nobles. Is that the case?

Mr Romoli is not of course the archetype of the "danseur noble", but at the same time he is absolutely not a "danseur de demi-caractère". Anyway, this traditional classification no longer exists at the POB. The "étoiles" are supposed to dance anything, contemporary or classical works. As far as I am concerned, I think it is an an illusion and it is the best way to have dancers without a real artistic personality. Mr Romoli has found his way because he is a very intelligent person, he can't be confounded with anyone else, and he is the best in what he does, really a major artist. That's why, although he is not a prince Siegfried, I think he deserves more than others his title.

Not too long ago, etoiles were danseurs nobles AND demi-caractere AND caractere. And I think that's the way things should be. When only the Prince gets to be an etoile, then the tendency is to cast everyone as the Prince, for one thing. And more importantly, in classical ballet, each genre has a place and an importance and I think that should be recognized. Chauvire, one of the greatest of the etoiles, was demicaractere.