• 450 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:11 AM

Yes, the picture is the one you posted. Thanks for the infos :innocent:

#17 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:15 AM

Estelle, thanks for the incredible reviews -- a great tribute to the dancers, company, and choice of choreographers.  I was interested by Jenny Gilbert's statement that the SFB is America's "most stylish" ballet company.    :blink:  :blink:  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As Leigh says, SFB are well known in the UK. SFB have visited the UK five times in almost as many years, bringing a very generous selection of work, nicely chosen to show the strengths of the company. They have made a very positive impression, and I hope they will be coming back. They gave the impression of a very cohesive company with a very succesful AD. Other US companies have visited, but not to the same extent - ABT not for, what, maybe 20 years or so. NYCB came to the Edinburgh Festival a few years back - the second time was an all Diamond project bill.

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

Any more reviews of the later programs?

Wonder how Lorena went over in Don Q..... I think she's a knockout in the role, myself, a real successor to Plisetskaya and Terekhova....

#19 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:41 AM

Well, Paul, I saw the final dress rehearseal, so I will stay general:

I was expecting much more than what I saw. I have loved everything I have seen from the SFB until now, especially their Othello the last time they came in Paris.

Firstly, I just would like to say that I have some mixed impressions because of the surroundings.

There is just a very small outdoor stage which don't allow ellaborate sceneries, the weather was quite cold for the season the last few weeks, and the version of DQ that the SFB gave to Paris has had to be shortened for the Paris' performances because the show is beginning at 9.30 PM and has to be finished at 00.00 AM due to public transportation.

So I don't wish to speak too much of a production that I couln't see under its usual settings.

As far I'm concerned, it's appearing that DQ is a too big production for such a small stage. It is just a waste. THis compagny deserved a much better stage and a real theater!

It is very difficult to put some names on the faces of the dancers, since they didn't give us the casting that wasn't announced either.

I was amazed by the excellent work of the corps de ballet. It has a very good discipline, which lacks cruently to the POB now. There are some wonderful individualities, too although I can't name the dancers. I feel sorry for them.

I think Nicolas Blanc danced Basilio, Tina LeBlanc (but I'm almost sure at 50% I'm wrong) Kitri and Muriel Maffre the Queen of the Dryads.

I'm under the impression this production has an american tone we don't find in the NUreev's production I'm used to but that doesn't mean it is bad. It is just different and some moments are really funny.

#20 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

Thank you for the review, cygneblanc. :lol:

If it was LeBlanc you saw, and Maffre as the Dryad Queen, they must have been rather interesting to see dancing next to each other in the dream scene, given the considerable height difference.

It's too bad you didn't get to see it in a proper theatrical setting, without the time constraints, but thanks for keeping us updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):