This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Firebird/Kirov

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Time to resurrect Firebird thanks to the current Diaghilev-Fokine triple bill at the Kennedy Center (January 2012)! It's been a while since we discussed various versions here, in the context of seeing the current Kirov-Mariinsky version, which dates to 1994, when the choreographer's grand-daughter, Isabel, and Andris Liepa, staged this and Scheherazade on the company, reviving the original stage settings (somewhat abridged).

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I do find Nina Ananiashvili's Firebird interpretation from the Liepa staging to be the best I've come across. In fact, all the Mariinsky soloists have taken to mimicking her performance in the latest productions of The Firebird. Kondaurova is closest in feel, but she's not the actor that Ananiashvili was.

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

The comments about the Balanchine Firebird made me look to see if we'd discussed different versions of the ballet in the past, so I'm bringing back this thread.

In the recent past several of the participants here had plenty to say about the Ratmansky version, but it seemed to get caught up in other aspect of ABT threads -- can we take a census of current productions?  Who is still doing the Firebird (or perhaps I should say "a Firebird" since we've had several different ballets created with that score), and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

#18 MadameP

MadameP

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

Mariinsky of course still dance it - it is so magical, and I love the lighting, scenery, costumes, music - everything about it as well as the choreography of course!   It is just like one of the lacquer boxes in the Russian Museum come to life!  

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

I do love the original production (as I understand it from Royal Ballet and ABT performances) but it seems to be one of those works that has been re-made or remodeled several times.  We've all been thinking about Geoffrey Holder lately -- I think that his designs for the John Taras staging at DTH were some of the most distinctive I've seen for the ballet.  I'm heading for a contemporary ballet production this weekend with Ballet Bellvue -- who else has taken a turn with this work?

#20 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

To begin a list of the non-Fokine versions...

American Ballet Theatre, with choreography by Alexei Ratmansky

English National Ballet, with choreography by George Williamson
SFB, with choreography by Yuri Possokhov

Australian Ballet, with choreography by Graeme Murphy

And various smaller companies:

Houston Ballet, with choreography by James Kudelka
Austin Ballet, with choreography by Stephen Mills

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

Kent Stowell made one for Pacific Northwest Ballet, with designs by Ming Cho Lee.  It was fairly traditional (setting, story) but choreographically much more neoclassical.

#22 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

Glen Tetley, for Royal Danish Ballet

The Kudelka version was created on the National Ballet of Canada

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

Maurice Béjart made his version when his company was based in Brussels, although it was first performed by the Paris Opera Ballet, which still dances it. The Firebird is a man. (Surprise!)

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

The Ailey company also dances the Bejart version, and do an amazing job, as you might imagine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):