• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:42 AM

Greetings from Groningen! Joffrey receiving standing ovations.

Saw Royal Ballet - Le Spectre, Kirov - Les Noces, La Valse and Firebird last night (also a local dancer in a modern version of L'Apres Midi).

First time seeing Fokine version of Firebird and really loved it.
I'm wondering if the scenery and costumes for the Kirov are true to the original or re-done based on the original designs. I loved them but they look reimagined to me. No matter, it was a perfect fairy tale.

#2 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:27 AM

They are basically a reconstruction of the Bakst originals. The Firebird herself wears a substantially different costume though.

Personally I prefer the Goncharova designs used by the Royal Ballet, but both are beautiful.

#3 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:11 AM

glebb, did the Firebird re-appear at the end to bless the wedding? I really miss her fly-by in the current NYCB version...

#4 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:40 AM

the Firebird character does not re-appear for the final tableau of Fokine's staging: both this character and that of Kastchei 'have vanished' in cyril beaumont's words about the final tableau of fokine's staging in his 'complete book of ballets.'
this is true for both the staging as it was performed in the original golovine settings and in the later ones by goncharova.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:13 AM

the Firebird character does not re-appear for the final tableau of Fokine's staging: both this character and that of Kastchei 'have vanished' in cyril beaumont's words about the final tableau of fokine's staging in his 'complete book of ballets.'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This (and the fact that Pacific Northwest Ballet is doing Kent Stowell's version of the ballet next week) reminded me of something I'd love to see people discuss.

I've always felt that Firebird, in whatever manifestation, had a fundamental problem at the end of the ballet, finishing as it does with a fairly sedate processional and often a lenthy pose (like a photo opportunity). I love that part of the score, and I suppose I could just listen with my eyes shut (or think of it as a costume parade), but it's so non-kinetic, after such varied activity, that it just seems to wither away. I know that on one level it's the score that dictates this ending, but it just doesn't seem successful. Am I hallucinating, or does anyone else have the same feeling?

#6 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

I never gave it much thought before (although I did experience the same perplexity at the stillness of the tableau), but this discussion prompts me to wonder whether Fokine and those successors who followed his model saw it as a means to differentiate the mundane (human, ritualistic) from the fantastic (the encounters with the bird, Katschei, the monsters).

And glebb, congrats to the Joffrey!

#7 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

Funny thing is that in the Kirov version some Firebirds re-appear at the end, while others just don't. It really depends of the cast.

When you talk about "non-kinetic", sandik, you really ought to see the new version of the Dutch National Ballet. I'm sure glebb will also share us his impressions about that one. Don't miss it glebb! :wink:

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:47 PM

There have been several productions (Dance Theater of Harlem off the top of my head) where the Firebird reappears (and in the DTH version she's hoisted up above the crowds, so there's even a special effect!), but it still seems so anti-climactic, especially after all that's gone before.

I don't know much about the Dutch NB production -- someone please do describe, or point us in the direction of some information!

#9 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:34 AM

I don't know much about the Dutch NB production -- someone please do describe, or point us in the direction of some information!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reviewed it some weeks ago for Danceview Times, Sandik:
A tribute to Diaghilev...

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:56 AM

There was some fiddling with the Fokine production immediately after its premiere. First, there is that section of the introduction that always sounded like "clop-clop" to me. There's a good reason for that sound. In the very first performance, the Spirit of Light and the Spirit of Darkness (both horsemen in Russian mythology) rode back and forth across the apron of the stage. The only problem on opening night was that one of the horses went "clop-clop-plop" right on center stage and they couldn't get rid of it until the monsters came on, so here were Ivan and the Firebird and the Princesses all looking down until then, trying to avoid the "land mine".

And there's a reason why the introduction theme is quoted in the finale; the Firebird was supposed to reappear, bless the marriage, and then fly off to the sound of the "bell-ringing" effect in the brasses. Karsavina did this, but Flying by Foy hadn't been invented yet, and she hung up about some twenty feet up, twisting slowly, slowly in the wind, trying to make the best of a Bad Situation.

Both of these specialties didn't make it to the second performance of the ballet.

#11 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:20 AM

Mel, thank you for clarifying the Firebird's final appearance (or non-appearance, as the case may be)...it certainly makes sense for her to sweep thru, both musically and in terms of the story. I would leave out the flying apparatus, but surely a few jetees and a final arabesque are called for. I seem to recall a performance that ended with the Firebird center-stage in a sort of Lilac Fairy pose as the court paid hommage to her. It was really attractive and brought everything full-circle. After all, it's her ballet...

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reviewed it some weeks ago for Danceview Times, Sandik:
A tribute to Diaghilev...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I missed this one (scampers off to read)

#13 Herman Stevens

Herman Stevens

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

I saw that Firebird, too, Glebb. It was better than the awful Les Noces on the same program, but it was definitely below par IMO. I also doubt it was 100% original Fokine.

Some time ago btw I opened a topic for the Diaghilev Festival here:

http://ballettalk.in...t=0#entry149492

#14 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:48 AM

I saw that Firebird, too, Glebb. It was better than the awful Les Noces on the same program, but it was definitely below par IMO. I also doubt it was 100% original Fokine.

Some time ago btw I opened a topic for the Diaghilev Festival here:

http://ballettalk.in...t=0#entry149492

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you Herman Stevens. Les Noces was sadly under rehearsed.
There were many things in La Valse and Firebird that I would have worked on as well, but having never seen the Fokine version (and I agree that it must not have been 100 per cent Fokine - I doubt Tata wore silver nail polish too), it was still so good for me to see.

PS I'm sorry I missed meeting you!

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Time to resurrect Firebird thanks to the current Diaghilev-Fokine triple bill at the Kennedy Center (January 2012)! It's been a while since we discussed various versions here, in the context of seeing the current Kirov-Mariinsky version, which dates to 1994, when the choreographer's grand-daughter, Isabel, and Andris Liepa, staged this and Scheherazade on the company, reviving the original stage settings (somewhat abridged).

I remember being 'wowed' by these decors when I witnessed the May 1994 premiere of the revival in St-P. Since then, I have grown to know and love the ca-1920 Nathalie Goncharova-designed version...especially the majesty of the final tableau. Maybe viewing this week's performances at the Kennedy Center will sway me 'Back to Bakst'? Posted Image

Of course, the greatest fun will come in comparing both Fokine bersions (Bakst & Goncharova designs) to the yet-to-be-premiered Ratmansky edition, later this spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):