• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

This is ballet only in its extended sense.  In some circles, it would be quite all right to define "Appalachian Spring" as a ballet.  In ballet circles, it would cause several cases of apoplectic rage.  Martha Graham was a modern dance dancer and choreographer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Graham herself referred to her works as ballets, later in her career. I think this was in part to emphasize the extensive training of the dancers, and the integrity of the works.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:44 AM

Yes, that's quite so, and Graham Technique shares a tremendous amount of commonality with ballet, so I don't find that it's an abuse of the term. Martha announced in 1969 that the "war between ballet and modern" was over, and she did so with good reason. They remain different things, though, with certain differences, and I say "vivent les differences".

#18 johnno

johnno

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Browsing the forum I came upon this old topic and thought I should add a link to it that might extend its life a little.

The original poster's link doesn't work, neither does that in the first reply, so I don't know why the OP started the topic, alas.

Panfilov's troupe danced here a couple of years ago and were well received and the link above is to a review from then. I certainly enjoyed their show when it passed through my home town.

The Big Ballet's own website

#19 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

I can't access the video as I'm in the UK. Is there a link via Youtube or some other medium please?

#20 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

Simon, try this.

On the Big Ballet website, this performance is labeled "a comedy ballet of weighty proportions"...so I don't think that it is intended to be taken seriously as ballet, proper. Does anyone remember the old Red Skelton Show? Features like this were typical of the variety show genre in the 50s and 60s.

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

How does one determine whether or not something is ballet or modern dance. PC gone amuck, where anybody can call itself ballet.

Sure-fire giveaway: If the women are in pointe shoes, it's ballet; if the dancers are barefoot, it's modern.

The first scenes in the promo video show the dancers off point though wearing shoes meant to look, from a distance, like point shoes. However, here is a photo of one of the company's ballerinas (Tatiana Gladkih) on point.
http://www.permian.r...08_09_09_01.htm

This may be "comedy," but I suspect that many who come in order to laugh will find themselves getting hooked as the performance goes on.

There's something quite touching about many of the images. Not the arm-waving Romantic stuff, which looks like a parody of a Trock parody of company of imitation dancers. But, I find the clips of modern numbers, especially the piece with the women all in red, to have a strange kind of loveliness. Maybe it's the loveliness of performers who love what they are doing and give it their all.

The vision of big women being adored and pursued by slim, no-fat, buff, good-looking guys is also refreshing.

#22 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

They're BIG, They're BEAUTIFUL, They're FUN, They're really good sports, but are they ballet dancers?

I commend them for being real troupers and tolerating a floor that could do in a more delicate company. It does look a bit threatening in the splinter department.

Seriously, though, I wanted to add that in some parts of India, the extended dance dramas using classical Indian techniques (for example, Bharata Natyam or Odissi, Kuchipudi, etc) are often referred to as "Ballets."

Just to throw in a red herring.

#23 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Simon, try this.

On the Big Ballet website, this performance is labeled "a comedy ballet of weighty proportions"...so I don't think that it is intended to be taken seriously as ballet, proper. Does anyone remember the old Red Skelton Show? Features like this were typical of the variety show genre in the 50s and 60s.

I don't think it is either, Bonnette, which is just as well. It's possible to be fat and be a good dancer and mover, but in serious ballet? Doubtful.

Thanks for reviving this thread, johnno.

#24 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,866 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Simon, try this.

I don't think it is either, Bonnette, which is just as well. It's possible to be fat and be a good dancer and mover, but in serious ballet? Doubtful.

Thanks for reviving this thread, johnno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):