This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2005-6 Subscription Season (Teaser)

I just received the early renewal mailing for PNB's 2005-6 season. It includes an insert with a very nice photo of Peter Boal leaning against one of the support pillars for the metal screen "canvases" that span McCaw Hall and the Phelps Center (PNB studios and offices), looking suitably Pacific Northwestern in a medium blue shirt over a tan t-shirt and faded jeans, with a black overcoat the concession to "real" city life. There's a nice blurb from Francia Russell and Kent Stowell about Boal, and a nice blurb from Boal about the Company. All of this appears on the PNB website as well.

Along with the following little teasers for next season:

Jewels (George Balanchine)*

In the Night (Jerome Robbins)*

Red Angels (Ulysses Dove)*

Jardí Tancat (Nacho Duato)

Nine Sinatra Songs (Twyla Tharp)*

Hail to the Conquering Hero (Kent Stowell)

Kiss (Susan Marshall)*

The Sleeping Beauty (Ronald Hynd)

...and much more**

*PNB Premiere

**Full 2005-06 Season TBA February 2005

I haven't seen Susan Marshall's choreography since the mid-90's, when On the Boards was still on Capitol Hill and an old co-worker/friend was in her Company.

But JEWELS -- :wink:

*PNB Premiere

**Full 2005-06 Season TBA February 2005

I agree -- Jewels will make many, many people very. very happy.

Some other interesting choices -- I'm even more curious to see the whole line-up.

And, maybe I'm hallucinating, but isn't Kiss the aerial dance?

Yes, I believe it is the aerial dance.  !

I looked it up after I posted (yes I know I could have done that first) and it is indeed performed by two dancers in harnesses -- the Lilac Fairy in PNB's production of Sleeping Beauty flys as well, so perhaps they will get a volume discount from Flying by Foy for the season...

Tangentially, Seattle has had several aerial choreographers, including Robert Davidson's Airborne Meister Eckart, a stunningly beautiful work about the German mystic from the 1980's.