This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opera Opening Galla

Well we now oficially have a big new opera house in Copenhagen and I am pleased to tell that the ballet performed beutifully in an otherwise not totally satifactory evening. The ballet portions were a new Martins pas de deux for Schandorff and Hubbe, a piece de occation to Jakob Gades welknown Tango Jalousi. Well danced by Schandorff, wellacted by Hubbe (who has aged considerably in body and movement range since last seen in copenhagen) and badly chrorographed by Peter Martins. Judge by thin non-ballet it look like he had learned absolutely nothing from working 20 yeras with Balanchine. It would definately have prefered Dou Consortante, which I have seen stunningly perform by the couple a few years back. Nex out was 4/5 of Etudes, the opening trio and a few other bits missing. The plan to present a numbe of principals in this ballet had backfired, and only the two ballerina approach with a stunning Gitte Lindstrøm in the Sylph and tour de manege and Cavallo in the solo (her fouettes was not up to her usual standard) surviewed the double cadting. On the male it was the Kenneth Greve show, save one solo danced by Tim Matikias and parallel dancing by andrew Bowman, he danced every pas de deux and solo in the ballet with great style, technique and panache. he is so good when he is on. the corps was outstanding and I am pleased to have the television documenation of this fine performance. After the break, Thomas Lund and Gudrun Bojesen danced Genzano pas de deux followed by Gudrun playing a saxophone solo . Finally we got the Rooster dance from Maskerade, the Cullberg version with Morten Eggert, and a corps of female chicken. This awfull has over the years reach a cult status and is often performed at charity galas and so on. Unfortunately the television covered the event like it was a sporting event with Kølpin revieng the ballet, during the dancing, interviews with opera singers during thebstart of the Martins ballet and odd camera shoots. One would not have been surprices itthey had include slow motion retakes and an scoreboard

I just read the review in Berlingske Tidende. Erik Aschengreen is pleased about the larger stage and ads that as Kenneth Greve can look a bit too tall on the old stage, the new Opera house is a welcome addition. (only a 4. billion DKK investment) This is not the first time Aschengreen had comments about Greve looks. He once wrote that his eyes was too deeply set. As Kenneth Greve is one of the most handsome guys you can find on any stage and a brilliant dancer as well, this seem petty and unintentianaly funny