This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Royal Ballet School-ABT Studio Co. exchangeRoyal Ballet School to perform in NY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:06 PM

ABT STUDIO COMPANY AND THE ROYAL BALLET SCHOOL EXCHANGE PLACES FOR PERFORMANCES, MASTER CLASSES AND SEMINARS

The Royal Ballet School to Perform at NYUís Skirball Center, February 18-19

ABT Studio Company to Appear at Covent Gardenís Linbury Theatre, April 1-2

1/14/2005 - In February and April, the ABT Studio Company and The Royal Ballet School will travel to each otherís respective homes for performances, master classes and training sessions with senior coaching staff. The two companies last participated in this unique exchange in 2003.

The graduate students of The Royal Ballet School, along with director Gailene Stock, will come to New York for performances at NYUís Jack H. Skirball Center for the Performing Arts February 18 and 19. The RBS repertory will include Sir Frederick Ashtonís Monotones II, Kirk Petersonís The Eyes That Gently Touch, Robert Hillís Piano Concerto No. 2, and Paul Boydís Uneven Ground, as well as excerpts from Ashtonís La Fille mal gardťe and Marius Petipaís Raymonda.

While in New York, the RBS will hold auditions for students ages 14 through 18 who wish to attend the Upper School in London in 2005-2006. Auditions will be held on Saturday, February 19 at The Ailey Studios at 405 West 55th Street. On Sunday, February 20, Ms. Stock and the RBS senior coaching staff will conduct a master class for students ages 10 through 18, also at Ailey Studios.

On April 1 and 2, the ABT Studio Company will perform at Londonís Linbury Theatre at Covent Garden. Performances will include Arthur Saint-Leonís La Vivandiere, Anton Dolinís Variations for Four, Brian Reederís Tea and Temptation, Stephen Millsí Hush, and the pas de deux from Milk Pool by Laura Gorenstein Miller.

Performances by The Royal Ballet School at the Skirball Center are at 8:00 P.M. on Friday, February 18 and at 2:00 P.M. and 8:00 P.M. on Saturday, February 19. Tickets priced at $32, $22 for ABT members and $12 for students are available by calling 212-992-8484 or at www.skirballcenter.nyu.edu. The Skirball Center is located at 566 LaGuardia Place at Washington Square South in New York City.

For more information on performances with the Royal Ballet School and the ABT Studio Company, please call the ABT Education Department at 212-477-3030, ext. 3206.

#2 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:07 PM

We in New York are always yearning for more Ashton, so it's nice the Royal Ballet School is going to perform Monotones II and an excerpt from La Fille mal gardee.

#3 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:34 AM

We in New York are always yearning for more Ashton, so it's nice the Royal Ballet School is going to perform Monotones II and an excerpt from La Fille mal gardee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'd love to see Monotones II as well, and I'm in London. Believe it or not, this has become something of a rare event on the main stage - it's been a number of years since it was featured. (BRB are touring it this spring, though I think). Certainly sounds more intersting than some of the rest of the programme.

The Eyes That Gently Touch featured in last year's RB school performance - not a particularly interesting work. That performance also had a work from Robert Hill, which might be the same was this one - if the costuming is very dark and the stage is so gloomy you can barely see them, then that's the one.

#4 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:31 AM

I'm looking forward to La Vivandiere. Can someone tell me what to expect from the rest of the ABTII program please? :)

#5 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

Variations for Four is a bravura showcase for four men, and Tea and Temptation is a heavily costumed sex farce.

I can't tell you about the other two pieces. I recently saw the ABT Studio dancers in La Viv, and overall they did a most commendable job.

There is some remarkable talent in this year's crew. I would advise you to keep your eye peeled for Hee Seo, La Viv's lead female at the performance I saw. She is a lovely dancer with a beautiful plie and abundant charm.

While you're watching our young pre-professionals (give or take a few hours), I'll be watching yours!

--Carley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):