This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BALLET STARS GALA IN ST.PETERSBURG

On the 2 of January, there was a very interesting and important gala-performance at the Mussorsky Theatre of Opera and Ballet ( Maly Theatre ), where taked part famouses russian and foreigners stars:

- Ulyana Lopatkina, Farukh Ruzimatov, Natalia Sologub, Irina Zhelonkina, Alexandra Iosifidi, Anton Korsakov ( Mariinsky Ballet Theatre of Saint Petersburg ).

- Maria Alexandrova, Dmitry Gudanov ( Bolshoi Ballet Theatre of Moscow ).

- Roberta Marquez, Vjacheslav Samodurov ( Royal Ballet of London ).

- Irina Badaeva, Fethon Miozzi ( Ballet stars of Saint Petersburg - former Kirov ).

- Stanislav Feco ( National Ballet Theatre of Prague ) . Corps de ballet of the Mariinsky Theatre.

FIRST PART:

- Adagio from " Swan Lake" - P.I. Tchaikovsky - L. Ivanov ( Natalia Sologub - Stanislav Feco and the corps de ballet ).

Natalia Sologub in the role of Odette, was very accurated but not enought languishing and touching. I have seen her many times in several ballets ( Manon , Giselle , Cinderella ) and she was really better than like a " swan ". The corps de ballets of the Mariinsky Ballet was absolutly beautiful.

- Pas de deux from "Harlequinade " - R.Drigo - M. Petipa ( Irina Zhelonkina - Anton Korsakov ).

Both of this Mariinsky soloists, danced with a superb tecnique but without the right cheerfulness that is so important for this pas de deux. They danced boring and with indifference for each other. It is really a big pity because I think they have a good potential like actors also.

- A scene from " The Vision Ball " - F. Chopin - D. Bryantsev ( Irina Badaeva - Fethon Miozzi ).

I have seen this couple a day before, also during a gala-performance on the Hermitage Theatre where they danced with a brillant and awesome tecnique the pas de deux from " Nutcracker " and the " Venice Carnaval ".The audience was enchanted of them.

In this gala they show us a very interesting duet where they were distinguished by a great artistic sensibility and a touching romantic temperament.

- " The Crane " - a japanese folk song - A. Ratmansky ( Dmitry Gudanov )

Very interesting choreography by A. Ratmansky where the Bolshoi star D. Gudanov danced with a nice plasticity and an attentive musicality.

- " Classical pas de deux " - D. F. Auber - V. Gzovsky ( Roberta Marquez - Vyacheslav Samodurov )

It seems this couple was very worried about the tecnical difficulties and they forgot to keep the nobile style of this piece. Both of them were not be able to joy the audience maybe because they were really very far from the real character and the style of this pas de deux.

- " To the Poet's Death " - G. Malher - M. Bejart ( Farukh Ruzimatov )

A really impressive interpretation of this wonderful dancer ! He was intense and never boring in this difficult solo of M. Bejart. It was a real big emotion to see once more Ruzimatov in one of his best and dazzling pieces.

SECOND PART:

- A scene from " Sheherazade " -N. R. Korsakov - M. Fokine ( Alexandra Iosifidi - Stanislav Feco ).

This so nice exerpt was not very impressive with this couple. Alexandra Iosifidi was quite accurated in tecnique and manner but she was not enough charming and sexual, maybe because she was not helped by her partner ( Stanislav Feco ). He was really terrible ! He is absolutly not nice and hipnotic like " gold slave ". The audience was even laughing when he danced.

- " Walts "- M. Moshkovsky - V. Vainonen ( but it was " Spring Waters " - S. Rakhmaninov - A. Messerer ) - Roberta Marquez-Vyacheslav Samodurov -

As well as in " Classical pas de deux " this couple danced this so impressive duet, very weak and nervously and without any expression. Besides, on the last " lift" ( the most impressive of all ) , Samodurov useless tried to lift Marquez about three times but without any result.

- Pas de deux from "The Pharaon's Daughter " - C. Pugni - P. Lacotte ( Maria Alexandrova - Dmitry Gudanov ).

A big example of tecnique and expression from this wonderfull interpreters. Both of them are very strong and accurated and they show us the most beautiful tradition of russian ballet style.

- Grand Pas from " Don Quixote " - L Minkus - A. Gorsky ( Marianna Yakovleva - Anton Korsakov and the corps de ballet ).

A new name : Marianna Yakovleva. She was graduated the last year from the Vaganova Ballet Academy and now she is in the corps de ballet of the Mariinsky Theatre. She dance well even if sometimes frightened. Korsakov showed a wonderfull tecnique but always without any passion. Very good was Tatyana Nekipelova in the Solo-variation. The corps de ballet was brillant but in terrible costumes !

-" The Dying Swan " - C. Saint-Saens - M. Fokine ( Ulyana Lopatkina ).

A really magic moment with this so beautiful star ! She was splendid and unique with her long and soft arms. She looked like a real swan ! The audience was in a frenzy.

Thank you for the thorough, exciting review, ballet lover! I wish that I could have been there.

Other (Russian) fora make particular note of Maria Yakovleva, the 18-yr-old recent graduate of the Vaganova Academy who danced Don Q with Korsakov. My understanding is that she was a last-minute addition to this program, as Korsakov was originally listed without a partner. What a feather in her cap!

Yakovleva, Yesina, Bolshakova and on and on. The class of 2004 was a bright one.

Also - I had been wondering if Irina Badeeva & Feton Miozzi were still around. To be honest, I have seen this virtuoso couple only in galas or competitions; never in the regular 'rep' of the Kirov-Mariinsky, although they were listed in gala programs as Mariinsky dancers for three years. They certainly can light up a stage! Does anybody know if they are affiliated with any other troupe now...or are they strictly 'free lancers'?

- Natalia

Thank you very much for your answer and your enthusiasm for our rewiev Natalia.

Fethon Miozzi and Irina Badaeva are " free lancers" now, for several years, and they are one of the most requested guest-couple especially in Russia. They are very often in tour worldwide and they dance in many companies all the classical repertory. We have seen them also in "Giselle ", "Swan Lake" and " Sleeping Beauty" with different troupes. They were really beautiful !

Thank you for the info on Badeeva/Miozzi, Ballet Lovers! I've corrected the typo, thalictum -- thanks!

Further observations on the Jan. 2 programme:

Farouk Ruzimatov's 'Death of the Poet' is becoming his signature piece for all galas...much like 'Dying Swan' is to Lopatkina and was, in the past, for Plisetskaya. We can always count on this miniature Bejart gem from Farouk! :)

You mentioned that Zhelonkina & Korsakov were 'boring & indifferent to each other' in the 'Harlequinade' pdd...interesting observation, as I've found them to be a charismatic couple. (wink!) They must have been tired that day.

I think Ruzimatov is a very talent and intelligent dancer so he knows that sometimes is better to dance something near his big professionality and deep expression and not something stricly tecnical, especially near so young and tecnique dancers like Korsakov,Gudanov or Miozzi.

" The dying swan " is a piece "obligatory" for any top-ballerina so for Lopatkina too. It is a very touching and impressive solo and every "prima" is sure of big success everytime. That is why many stars dance it in gala.

I don't know if Korsakov and Zhelonkina were tired but everytime I have seen them in other occasions too, they danced with an amazing tecnique but without "heart "( especially Korsakov ) that is so important in the classical ballet. Of course in any case, they are top dancers.

I see what you mean, balletlover. Zhelonkina & Korsakov are best known as classical technicians. Fair enough.

I was trying to make a 'joke' (which failed) about the your initial comment that Zhelonkina & Korsakov seemed 'indifferent to each other' because of their real-life professional collegiality. You can ignore my silliness!

Ballet Lovers, thanks a lot for the interesting review.

Just to understand. Are you sure about The Spring Waters danced by Marquez and Samodurov? Somewhere it was announced as The Voices of Spring. If so this is a famous Strauss waltz staged by Ashton for the Prince Orlovsky’s ball in Die Fledermause. What is quite natural to dance by a couple from Covent Garden. It would be so kind of you to clarify the point.