This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This isn't exactly a recent performance, but an upcoming one.

My daughter has been invited to a performance of the St. Petersburg Ballet in "Romeo & Juliet". (Birthday parties sure have changed since my day, when a movie or bowling was the best to be expected.)

Anyone know anything about this company or this production?

I haven't seen them, but here is some info from their web site:

"St.Petersburg Ballet Theatre of Konstantin Tachkine, established in 1994, develops traditions of classical Russian ballet. The troupe consists of 80 professional ballet actors - graduates from Vaganova Academy and other merited ballet schools in Russia. The teachers - ex soloists and actors of Mariinsky Theatre:

Juri Gumba

Lubov Kunakova

Svetlana Efremova

Irina Kovaleva

Margarita Alfimova

During its creative activity Tachkine Ballet Theatre performed tours in Great Britain, Germany, USA, Ireland, Belgium, Holland, Spain, United Arab Emirates, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the actors have repeatedly become prize-winners of prestigious international competitions of ballet actors, including Arabesk-2002 and Varna-2002."

Web site:

http://www.spbt.ru/about_en.php

The star of the company is Irina Kolesknikova:

http://www.ballerinagallery.com/kolesnikova.htm

I don't think that is the same one. Romeo & Juliet is not listed in their repertoire, and that company is currently on tour in the UK.

Edited to add: this one seems to be the St. Petersburg State Ballet Theatre.

Edited by Treefrog

This seems to be the correct web page.

It took a fair bit of searching. Most hits on Google were theater listings. Apparently the company is making a swing around the US mid-west -- mostly single-night engagements on college campuses. I did not uncover any reviews. I gather it's kind of a minor company using the St. Petersburg name to appear to be something more major?

Hmmm . . . the St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre will be performing in my neck of the woods (George Mason University, Fairfax VA) on April 16 and 17, dancing Romeo & Juliet (choreographed by Vikuov, first name not given) and "Russian Seasons," which includes Chopiniana, "Petukhov's interpretation of Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien," and Scheherazade. Irina Kolesnikova is their prima. Could this be the same company?

My daughter has been invited to a performance of the St. Petersburg Ballet in "Romeo & Juliet". (Birthday parties sure have changed since my day, when a movie or bowling was the best to be expected.)

How old is your daughter? I don't think I'd recommend it for anyone under 10... or maybe under 12... I'm not sure I'd recommend any Romeo & Juliet to someone under 12, actually.

It played the University of Connecticut on Wednesday, March 30th, 2005 - here's my review: St. Petersburg Ballet: Petukov's Romeo & Juliet (...like a bad dream...)

Programme lists it as:

St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre, Leonid Yakobson, Artistic Director... this slightly above the CAMI credit.

Although Yuri Petukhov is listed as artistic director for Romeo & Juliet (on a seperate line from his choreographer/librettist credit.

In Robert Johnson's article for the Star Ledger Troupe puts a new face on Russian ballet, he has Petukhov down as having directed the troupe since 2001.

I wonder, was it founded by Yakobson?

Excuse me for answering my own question, but:

Formed in 1966 under the original title "Theatre of Ballet," this relatively new dance troupe is a creation of the famous artist of the old Kirov Ballet Professor Peter Gusev, under the management of the People's Artist of Russia program. Gusev graduated from the Petrograd Choreographic Academy in 1922 and was an artist with the Leningrad Opera and Ballet Theatre until 1935. Gusev had proven himself as a brilliant choreographer before creating the St. Petersburg Ballet. Among his other ballet experiences, he directed the Kirov Ballet (1940-1950), organized the Ballet Theatre in Beijing and the ballet schools in Shanghai and Guanchjou (1958-1960) and worked as a ballet master in the Maly Opera and Ballet Theatre (1960-1966).

In 1969, the prominent choreographer and Honored Artist of Russia Leonid Jacobson occupied the post of Artistic Director and Manager.

Fairfield University News Release

This is the same troupe that toured the USA a couple of times during the mid-1990s, with Galina Mezentseva as guest artist. At that time, Askold Makarov -- Jacobsen's successor -- was the AD. After Makarov died, Petukhov took over.

The Encyclopaedia of St. Petersburg Ballet considers this one of the top five professional troupes of the city, along with the Kirov-Mariinsky, the Maly-Moussorgsky, the Conservatory Ballet and the Eifman Company. The Tkatchine troupe & others are not considered on quite the same level as the Big Five.

- Natalia

If it is a 'real' company and not a 'pick-up' company, shouldn't we have a forum for it?  I think this "recent performances" forum is really meant for things likes "stars of..." and pick-up company tours...

The forum "Other European Companies" is one of the places where we post on companies for which we don't have/haven't had critical mass. Recent Performances is a perfectly viable place for posting on performances as well.