This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kenneth Greve in London

and some qoutes:

Dancers: Greve, Yanowsky

"Greve clearly loved dancing with Yanowsky, and he was her charismatic equal. With his perfect manners, deft jumps and guilelessly open torso he was a textbook Prince...Not only will Yanowsky fight to have Greve back in London, so should everyone watching them."

Swan Lake 31/12/04

Royal Ballet (RB) UK, London, Covent Garden

Reviewer: Martha Ballet.co Postings Review Homepage

Dancers: Greve, Yanowsky

"Kenneth Greve - what a Prince! Like his fellow Dane Johan Kobborg, he seemed to invest every gesture with purpose and meaning and I liked his interactions with all the dancers onstage."

Yes Swan Lake would be the great and right ballet to perform on the new larger stage. We have great dancers who can shine in the piece. I would also love Manon to make a reapperence, but did time please ad Lindström and Bojesen to the cast. By choosing the right ballets and the right casts RDB can really use it strenghs instead of demonstating weaknesses. We have to many examples of the later strategy (not least in the Schaufuss Annus Horribules). When you have a Giselle , do Giselle (Schandorff/Bojesen), when you have the cast for a Midsummer Nights dream, do not do Romeo & Juliet. etc. with Schandorff, Lindström, Bojesen, Greve, Greve, Blangstrup, Cavallo and Bowman you have dancers whose strenght are Russian classical ballet, so use it. With Thomas Lund you have a great dancer with special needs and distinct talent. Perhabs it would be great to show him and Bojesen in La Fille Mal Gardee. Bojesen would also be a great Cinderella. Maybee they should guest to in London

Effy,

I was lucky enought to see the RDB many times when I had a client in Copenhagen a few years ago during the Aage years. Although there seemed to be a lot of conflict in the company at that time, I thought the dancing was teriffic. From Helgi's Sleeping Beauty to Martins' Hallajula Junction to some modern pieces (I can't remember the names) the company seemed to have the dancers to do it all.

Do you feel that that's still the case, or has the company focused on more traditional repetoire?

Dancing is usually good to terrific. Castings and choice of ballet less so. A dancer like Kenneth Greve has really grown in to a complete dancer/actor and his parthership with Silja Schandorff is extra ordinary. I caught them last nigth in In the Night and they were formidable. together with Thomas Lund, Gudrun Bojesen, Mads Blangstrup, Gitte Lindström, Marie Pierre Greve and veterans Christina Olsson and Rose Gad (both on maternaty leavy at present) we have a very fine linup of principals. But many roles are given to imported principals Caroline Cavallo, Andrew Bowman and Jean Luc Massot, who are not in my view au pair with the others. Tina Højlund, Diana Cuni, Morten Eggert are also great dancers although in more limited repetoire.

unfortunately there are at present few younger talentsm which may be a problem in a few your when the current linup approached the pension age (40)

I haven't been online for a while, so I only saw the photos of Kenneth Greve in Swan Lake now. So that was why he couldn't come and guest in South Africa (also in Swan Lake), as scheduled! Just looking at the photos makes me green with envy. :P I knew he would be a wonderful Siegfried! Oh well, he'd better come and make up for it this year...

Kenneth Greve got good reviews for his RB Swan Lake by Emma Manning in the magazine Dance Europe, February 2005. She writes "his technique is pure Rolls Royce", which I suppose is a big compliment. :-) There is also a beautiful picture of him and Zenaida.

I think too that Zenaida found a real prince in Kenneth, and it would be wonderful for a danish audience to see what magic can happen between 2 dancers. i also think it is about time Johan Kobborg brought Alina Cojocaru to RDB to show what ballet is really about. So perfect that you just sit and watch the story with amazement. As much as i love the royal danish ballet, it is light years away from being able to present etoiles like Alina Cojocaru, Zenaida Yanowsky, Tamara Rojo just to name a few from the Royal ballet.

Kenneth Greve is coming back to guest in Manon with Zenaida - she, and her fans have been waiting a long time for her to dance Manon, so it's wonderful she's found her Des Grieux as well. :yahoo:

I'm looking forward to principals and soloists from the RDB coming to dance in London at Sadlers Wells as well this summer.

Jorgen, maybe my use of words are not correct, but i have rarely been so excited as when i saw Alina Cojocaru in swan lake, she is faboulous in onegin, despite her age. but the gift of dance she shows in swan lake and don q is stunning.

i dont want to sound as if there is no real ballet in RDB, of course there is, i would just love for everybody to see Alina Cojocaru, i cant wait for the sylphide in london next year!