This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Any recommendations of binoculars?

Hello!!

I'm going to my first ever ballet tomorrow night, the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden for Swan Lake.

I'll be sitting at the amphitheatre, high high high up. Just wondering what kind of magnifying power binoculars would be suitable?

I want to be able to see the dancers but I don't want to magnify in too much that I'll lose the dancers from my view, if you know what I mean....

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? (Need them pretty quick as well as i'm going tomorrow!)

I've been looking at argos's website (for American/International members this shop sells everything - homeware, electrical appliances, toys, etc etc, even jewellery!!) and I found one for 8 times magnification for £4.49 (approx. US$8.50) and another one for 12 times magnification for £12.99 (approx. US$ 24.50), they are both "Compact Roof Prism Binoculars".

Are these ok or should I avoid them?

Cheers,

Fish

Edited to add: I had no idea where to post this so I posted this here. Mods please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate forum. Thanks!

Edited by Chinafish

I've never tried 12x magnification and I suspect it might be a bit high as I think most people at the ROH use between 3x and 10x. 8x works for me at the ROH. From the front of the amphi, it's perfect for watching solos or pdds. From the back of the amphi you can still see facial expressions, costume detail etc. It depends what kind of investment you want to make I guess - as I've said I've never tried 12x but it's definitely too high if you plan to come back and try to sit in different parts of the house.

You didn't mention what model the binos are. The advice I got was that the more you spend, the clearer the view you get, but my friends are as happy with their £8 binos as I am with my £30 ones.

Enjoy the performance! Tell us all about it!

Sylvia

Most of my friends use 7x magnification. Mine are 8x35, and they are perfect (for me) from the back of the New York State Theater and the middle-to-back of the Metropolitan Opera House. I am familiar with ROH, and in my opinion, 7x or 8x would be a good strength.

And I'll echo Silvy's request for a report! I love reading of people's initial experiences with ballet, especially when they are fresh!

--Carley

Thanks guys for a quick response!! GBP4.50 would do it then!! :(

The link is here (I do not mean for this to be an advert, please remove if this is inappropriate):

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...&clickfrom=name

There isn't an actual brand name on the page....

Will definitely post a report when I get back!! I'm seeing Roberto Bolle and Zenaida Yanowsky!! It's gonna be brilliant!! :(

Sorry folks, been a bit busy with other stuff that's been going on...

I couldn't get the 8x binoculars - they were sold out by the time I got to the shop!! :( So I got the 12x instead. Ah well.....

Turns out they don't magnifies it too much! I could see the danders clearly, which was really cool!

As a first time ballet goer I thought the miming was a bit fast and I had to take a bit of time to "digest" the mime. Then I just lost it and then I got the light bulb "bling" when I read the program afterwards.

Yanowsky was BRILLIANT!!!! She doesn't look too skinny which I think is cool (or maybe it was the fact that everyone around her was really skinny so relatively she doesn't look *too* skinny), and she was so strong! The fouettes she did were amazing - I don't think she quite nailed the landing but it was amazing none-the-less.

Right after she did the 32 fouettes from the back of the stage up to the front, and then she did a whole series of changements back to the back - it looked like her legs never get tired!!

I was just too captivated by the dancing that I could not remember the details, hope you guys understand...... :dry:

Cheers,

Fish