This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

James - Have you tried any of the on-line "bookstores" such as www.amazon.com? Tales of Hoffman is surely available there. You might try some of the auction-type websites, such as www.ebay.com, for the out-of-print rarities. Amazon also has a department for rarities.

Here's another Shearer film. Have you heard of the ca-1960 Hollywood film 'Black Tights'? It features four different one-act ballets by Roland Petit/Les Ballets de Paris. Among these is 'Cyrano de Bergerac' starring Moira Shearer as Roxane. The other ballets in the film include 'Carmen' (Zizi Jeanmaire), 'The Diamond Cruncher (again, Zizi), and 'A Merry Mourning' (Hollywood actress/dancer Cyd Charisse on pointe). Roland Petit is the male star, as well as choreographer, of all four ballets. Choreographer's privilege, I suppose. wink.gif

There is also a film (sorry, I have forgotten the name) with three separate stories, one of which stars Shearer with James Mason. She is a dancer with a heart condition who, despite dire warnings, dances one last time and dies. One of the other stories in the film stars Leslie Caron, but in a non-dancing role.

The three part movie is "Story of Three Loves" -- Ashton did something for her, for the same music he used for "Rhapsody."

James, prepare to be weirded out by "Peeping Tom." Moira does a spirited little unclassical dance, and then she gets offed, very early on in the movie. I can't remember if he hits her on the head, or if she's the one who gets throttled with the tripod.....

I purchased "Tales of Hoffmann" from moviesunlimited.com. Couldn't find it on Amazon at the time.