Basic ballet collection
Posted 20 January 2000 - 01:58 PM
What I'm looking for is a list of about ten videos that meets the following criteria:
1. The videos are of significant works performed well.
2. There are examples of all the most important choreographers, not just Petipa and Balanchine.
3. Most of the outstanding companies and most accomplished dancers are represented.
4. The performances cover as broad a chronological and stylistic range as possible.
5. The videos are all reasonably easy to obtain. Ideally, they should all be in stock at amazon.com .
6. The videos are of dancers dancing, not heads talking about dancing. Also, the camera work and editing should not get in the way of the dancing. (I remember many years ago watching a video of "Serenade" and losing my temper at the editor who constantly jumped from closeup to closeup and thus lost all sense of the geometry of the dance.)
7. None of the videos are of "The Nutcracker."
This is a tall order, I know, but any guidance would be appreciated.
[This message has been edited by Tancos (edited January 31, 2000).]
Posted 21 January 2000 - 12:04 AM
Posted 21 January 2000 - 05:12 AM
I don't know if it's available in the USA, but the tape "Paris dances Diaghilev" is among my favorite videos. It includes four ballets:
Fokine's "Petrouchka" and "Le Spectre de la Rose", Nijinska's "Les Noces" and Nijinski's "Afternoon of a faun", filmed at the Paris Opera around 1990, with many of the best dancers of the company then (Manuel Legris, Charles Jude,
There are several other available tapes of the Paris Opera Ballet ("Romeo and Juliet", "Cinderella", "The Nutcracker", "Swan Lake"...) but I don't like much the choreographies of much of them (I'm not a fan of Nureyev's works in general). The best one is, in my opinion,
"La Bayadere", because it's an opportunity to see three of the brightest dancers of the company (Elisabeth Platel, Isabelle Guerin
and Laurent Hilaire) and also a very good corps de ballet.
Posted 21 January 2000 - 06:50 AM
The best way to buy it is by clicking the "amazon.com" banner at the top of this page so that a very small part of your purchase price will be paid to Balletalert.
Posted 21 January 2000 - 01:43 PM
Posted 31 January 2000 - 02:49 PM
Posted 03 February 2000 - 08:56 AM
Posted 03 February 2000 - 08:12 PM
I would also recommend the Paris Dances Diaghilev, POB Seven Ballets (I prefer this over the Six Ballets offering), any Kirov Swan Lake ( although many hate the Vinogradov production, I maintain that the dancing is lovely), the Margot Fonteyn video (commemorative one which she oversaw)...
And, I am very sorry to vehemently disagree, but the Royal Ballet Bayadere and Sleeping Beauty productions are NOT mediocre! (my shrieks of outrage can be heard echoing through the ice and snow along the eastern seaboard...)
Back to my sewing, but I simply could not let this pass...
What a delightful way to spend the winter: looking for new ballet videos to arrive in the mail!
Posted 03 February 2000 - 08:43 PM
You tell 'em! The RB "Bayadere" is my favorite video (tied with the "Balanchine Celebration" I & II). I'm also quite fond of their "Sleeping Beauty," mainly due to Viviana Durante's performance.
Posted 04 February 2000 - 01:54 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users
Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases: