This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Did Petipa do a Nutcracker?

I am pretty sure he didn't, but I may stand corrected. In a recent performance (of Nutcracker) program, it was noted that the Grand Pas De Deux was choreographed by Marius Petipa. Did he in fact choreograph a Nutcracker or even just the pas de deux??? The only version I have from Kirov is Vanomin's version (in which case the male variation is the same as I saw the other night.) But, I don't think I have seen a full length or rather any version of Nut... that credits Petipa. :unsure:

The only thing that Petipa was responsible for was the choreographic script, which was what he gave to Tchaikovsky. He may have had some idea of what he wanted to do, but the actual work was done by Lev Ivanov. He may even have had some afterthoughts after the work opened, which might account for the "doublets" in the Stepanov notations. There are places where there are two different dances to the same music. It's a little like Victor Borge's "explanation" of a "Mozart opera". "Nobody knows why this happens, except Mozart, and he is dead!"