This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Looking for Nutcracker Source Material

Hello again All-

Mike Whistler here, and I am still doing my research on Tchaikovsky/Petipa's 1892 Nutcracker. I have been trying to find a reliable copy of the source story, the ETA Hoffman The Nutcracker Prince. Apparently, the version of this story which was most popular in Tsarist Russia (and the version presented to Tchaikovsky and Petipa for adaptation) was a version adapted by Alexandre Dumas Pere. It is (of course) out of print, and I have scoured the internet trying to find a version of it to read...any chance a ballet history lover out there might offer some insight? Ideally, I'd love to read the story of find a site which has it posted (there are so many sites devoted to this ballet, I figure someone must have posted this public domain work). Or perhaps someone knows of a publisher who has published a version of this, which I might be able to track down on abebooks or Amazon?

Any help is appreciated: seasons' greetings to all

Mike

On abebooks.com, a bookseller in Boston is selling the following: (identifying information removed). Granted the price is high but there is information there and there must be less expensive copies out there somewhere.

Kinder-Marchen von G.M. Contessa, Friedrich Baron de la Motte Fouque und E.T.A. Hoffmann. Neue Auflage. Mit sechs illuminierten und sechs schwarzen Vignetten nach Zeichnungen von E.T.A. Hoffmann.

HOFFMANN, E.T.A.

Price: US$ 2750.00

Book Description: Berlin G. Reimer 1839. 12mo. (2)ff.280pp. +(6)ff. Second edition. Contains six hand-colored copperplate engravings after Hoffmann, among them the famous drawing of the Nutcracker's battle with the Mouse-King, and a travelling peep-show, or "kukkasten." Also contains six vignettes. This is the second appearance in print of Hoffmann's "Nussknacker und Mausekünig," the basis for Tschaikovsky's "Nutcracker" ballet. In original boards, worn and bumped, with wear and slits along hinges. Internally fine but for light foxing, and small tear to one plate. Small owner's signature on endpaper.

Thanks for the suggestions, all...I'm off to abebooks.com then. Although the $2750.00 version sounds fascinating...maybe I'll take out a mortgage instead and look at this one... :)

Just kidding- and thanks for you r patience on my reply: just returned from Christmas holidays.

Mike