This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Guillaume Cote & Burnise Silvius in the Star

Here's an article from SABT website as to Burnise's status these days. Guess we won't be seeing her in TO anymore.

Burnise Silvius back with SABT on full-time basis

Burnise Silvius & Michael Revie in THE SLEEPING BEAUTY SOUTH AFRICAN ballerina Burnise Silvius will not be returning to Toronto at the end of The South African Ballet Theatre's season of the FNB Sleeping Beauty now on at the Johannesburg Civic Theatre.

Miss Silvius, who was to have rejoined the National Ballet of Canada at the end of September, today announced her decision to devote her career fully to ballet in South Africa and to her home company, The South African Ballet Theatre. She has been released from her contract with the National Ballet of Canada at her own request.

Miss Silvius' association with the National Ballet of Canada started in 2003 when she danced with the company for the 2003-2004 season, and she subsequently filled a 10-month contract with NBC during the 2004-2005 season. Between her contract periods in Canada she returned to South Africa for engagements with SABT.

Commenting on her decision, Miss Silvius said that discussions with NBC artistic director Karen Kain had been amicable and that Miss Kain had been supportive in the difficult process of making a major career decision. "I deeply value everything I gained working with the National Ballet of Canada but at this stage in my career the work environment at SABT is what I need and want," said Miss Silvius. "And after having danced outside South Africa for extended periods since 2000 I now feel the need to be near my family as a very powerful magnet drawing me home."

Pretoria-born Burnise Silvius joined The State Theatre Ballet (then PACT Ballet) in 1994 and achieved principal dancer status in 1999. After the closure of The State Theatre Ballet in 2000 she was invited to dance with the Hong Kong Ballet in Hong Kong and on tour in Europe. In 2001 she returned to South Africa to join the newly formed South African Ballet Theatre as a principal dancer.

Burnise Silvius danced Princess Aurora opposite recently-appointed British principal dancer Michael Revie in his SA début as Prince Florimund in the FNB Sleeping Beauty at the Johannesburg Civic Theatre on Saturday afternoon (10 September at 15:00). Silvius and Revie dance again on 14, 16 and 17 September at 20:00. She also joins the company on tour to Knysna following the Sleeping Beauty season.

[Media Release 012 / 2005 Issued on 14 September 2005]

We're very pleased to welcome her back to South Africa. She has clearly benefitted from her experience with the National Ballet of Canada and is techniquely more secure and polished than previously. Her partnership with ex-Birmingham ballet principal Michael Revie in Sleeping Beauty was, by the way, very successful and we hope to continue seeing them together.