This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What's your favorite ballet video?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 05 November 1998 - 09:23 PM

What's your favorite ballet video? Please tell why, as well as what, it is.

alexandra

#2 Guest_Old Board_*

Guest_Old Board_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 05 November 1998 - 09:24 PM

My favorite ballet tape is a tape I made of a 4-part series on A&E called "Ballerina" hosted and narrated by Makarova. Everyone and everything is on it. Some of my favorite sections of it are: 1. My introduction to Sylvia Guillem 2. Makarova rehearsing Giselle; a study in how to take-off and land a lift. Brother!! 3. Death scene from Cranko's Romeo and Juliet with Fracci. As far as a commercial tape....that's really a hard one; there are so many excellent ones. Some are important because of who is dancing; some for the choreography, some for the history. Historically I think I'd choose Ashton's Cinderella with Ashton in it as one of the stepsisters. For just watching dancing................ Manon, La Bayadere with Asylmuratova, Moukhamedov and Bussell. I think it presents Asylmuratova at her best. Oh, I love them all!

Giannina

#3 Guest_Old Board_*

Guest_Old Board_*

Posted 05 November 1998 - 09:25 PM

La Bayadere by the Royal Ballet, with Asylmuratova, Mukhamedov, and Bussell. I could go for hours about this one. Makarova trimmed off a lot of fat and constructed a third act that give dramatic closure to the ballet. I think "Kingdom of the Shades" is one of the most beautiful pieces of pure ballet ever staged. The dancing throughout is terrific, but this was my first sight of Darcey Bussell and she thrilled me then and continues to every time I watch it.

steve keeley

#4 Guest_Old Board_*

Guest_Old Board_*

Posted 05 November 1998 - 09:26 PM

Plisetskaya Dances is my favorite video!

victoria

#5 Guest_Old Board_*

Guest_Old Board_*

Posted 05 November 1998 - 09:27 PM

My favorite video is Romeo and Juliet...The Royal Ballet's with Allesandra Ferri. I love that ballet and she just makes it wonderful. Prokofiev's music is beautiful to listen to. I wish my ballet studio had enough boys to be able to do that ballet for one of our performances but unfortunatly that isn't an option. Well I can't wait to hear from you all.

Hollyberry

#6 Guest_Ewan_*

Guest_Ewan_*

Posted 23 November 1998 - 11:44 PM

May I ask Steve Keeley where he bought his copy of La Bayadere by the Royal Ballet, with Asylmuratova, Mukhamedov, and Bussell?

The Royal Ballet's web site doesn't mention a shop. Does Bussell feature in any other videos? Are there any of her dancing with Guillem?

Thanks in advance for any answers, Ewan

#7 Steve Keeley

Steve Keeley

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 November 1998 - 02:36 AM

Ewan,

This probably won't be of much help to you, but I bought my copy of "La Bayadere" at Borders Books and Records. While you could do the same online at www.borders.com, this video is in NTSC format (North American), and wouldn't work on a U.K. television.

Other videos with Darcey (all NTSC) are:

"Prince of the Pagodas" RB w/Fiona Chadwick, Jonathan Cope and Anthony Dowell.

"Winter Dreams" RB w/Irek Mukhamedov, Viviana Durante, Anthony Dowell and Nicola Tranah

"Mayerling" RB w/ Darcey in a supporting role. The stars are Irek Mukhamedov and Viviana Durante.

"Gala Tribute to Tchaikovsky" RB and Royal Opera. Darcey and Zoltan Solymosi dance Balanchine's "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux." Also includes duets by Durante & Sansom (Anastasia), Benjamin & Kumakawa (Nutcracker), and Collier & Mukhamedov (Sleeping Beauty).

"Balanchine Celebration Part II" NYCB. Darcey and Lindsay Fischer dance the "Agon" pas de deux.

Also, an unnamed and as yet unknown Darcey can be seen in the first part of Makarova's "Ballerina" series. (Not commercially available.) In part one there are scenes of various major ballet schools; in the shots at the Royal Ballet's school one can see an adorable teenaged Darcey at the barre.

~Steve

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 24 November 1998 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the Darcey Bussell videography, Steve. There are probably a lot of people who will find that useful.
Regarding compatibility of American/British formats, it might be possible to view these videos on a British television. I know that American videos can be viewed on Danish TV; there are occasional horizontal lines, and it's not perfect, but it's quite watchable. I'm not sure if the Danish and British are the same system, though. Perhaps some of our British readers would know, or have had some experience watching American videos?
(Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way. I have to have the Danish videos converted; all you get is visual noise on American TV. Not fair!)
alexandra

#9 Jenny Delaney

Jenny Delaney

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 1998 - 02:35 PM

UK TV uses PAL, while American is NTSC. PAL has more lines per inch, or something . . . But most UK VCRs now include NTSC playback, and prices start at £100, so any UK reader planning on investing in a VCR would be advised to check for this extremely useful feature!

#10 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 November 1998 - 09:57 AM

Is there any way of going in the other direction....so that PAL videos can be seen on NTSC? (I have no idea what all those letters mean.) Any technology coming up in the future? There are many PAL videos that I'd dearly love to own.

Giannina

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 25 November 1998 - 10:44 AM

Yes, Giannina, but it ain't cheap. There are now dual system VCRS available over here. I don't have one, but I understand they exist. BUT you have to have a converter (from European to American electric plug, which is cheap) AND I'm not sure, but you may have to have a European-capable TV. (Of course, you can buy a PAL VCR and TV and lots and lots of cables.)

alexandra
who doesn't know what the letters mean, either, except they're Eurpoean for BARRIER

#12 Steve Keeley

Steve Keeley

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 November 1998 - 09:31 PM

NTSC stands for National Television System Committee, the industry group that defined the standards for U.S. color television signals. The NTSC signal has its phase varied with the instantaneous hue of the color and the amplitude varied with the instantaneous saturation.

PAL stands for Phase Alteration Line. In the PAL signal, the subcarrier from the color burst is inverted in phase from one scanning line to the next.

These signals have several other differences, including the scanning rate.

~Steve the techie

#13 Jenny Delaney

Jenny Delaney

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 1998 - 12:42 PM

Going completely off-topic: Steve, over here NTSC is known as Never The Same Colour, due to the worse colour quality (fewer lines per inch).

#14 Guest_Ewan_*

Guest_Ewan_*

Posted 26 November 1998 - 08:51 PM

Dear Steve,
Thank you very much for the information on Darcey Bussell videos. I'm looking forward to building a collection around it.
I expect you've read her book: 'Life in Dance'. If not, I strongly recommend it, not least because she has an engaging honesty that makes one admire her all the more.
Luckily my VCR will play back an NTSC tape on a PAL set. To those of you in the States (and elsewhere) who can afford them, I understand Panasonic's 'One World' and Samsung's SV-4000W will play back any tape on any TV. The latter retails at around £1,000 ($1,660) here, though of course - if you're prepared to haggle - you can probably get it for far less.

#15 Margot

Margot

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 1998 - 12:58 AM

I had a terrific day today. It was my day off (I work every other weed-end so I get a day off in the week, each week).
Today I went to "La bibliothèque de la Danse" that's the "Library of Dance" at "l'École Supérieur de Danse du Québec" which is the official school affiliated with "Les Grands Ballets Canadiens". I went there because there was this answer to the quiz I could not find in my books at home...
The person responsable for the library is Vincent Warren. Vincent used to be principal with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, but he also teaches dance history and that is where I met him (I took this class at university just for the fun of it. And I LOVED IT.) Don't worry, Vincent only points me to the books I ask him for (it would be no fun anyway if the gave me the answers, I want to search for them!)
After my "homework" Posted Image was done, Vincent who knows me very well ("balletically" speaking) asked me if I had an hour to spare, went into his 500 videos collection and put a tape in...
It was "Une Étoile pour l'Exemple". Did you see that one Estelle? It's a one hour long documentary (by Dominique Delouche) where Yvette Chauvirée (in 1988, I think she was already in her seventies) teaches some of her great roles to principals of the Paris Opera Ballet: "Giselle" to Florence Clerc, "Ishtar" to Isabelle Guérin, "Grand Pas Classique" to Sylvie Guillem, "Les Deux Pigeons" to Marie-Claude Pietragalla, "The Dying Swan" to Dominique Khalfouni (I suppose she came from Marseille especially for this, but I know she is originally from POB) and, ... "Nautéus" to Monique Loudière. (I left what I feel is the best for the end! Posted Image)She was fabulous.
When that was over, I thought the tape was over but Vincent said to just wait and look: it was "Grand Pas Classique" with... who else but Monique Loudières and Manuel Legris in a gala performance in Vienna. What a day...
Dominique Delouche also did a film on Monique Loudières. It's an hour long, but I can't seem to be able to find it. Can anyone help me? I would be interested in buying new original copies of these two videos.

Margot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):