What's your favorite ballet video?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 petitallegro

petitallegro

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 03:59 PM

I'm trying to start building a ballet video/music collection for myself. Any suggestions of good recordings of things? Since I'm a student (and, therefore, poor...) I don't want to waste my money. :)

#2 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 05:13 PM

Here is what I have and can recommend:
1. Swan Lake: Royal Ballet, with Natalia Makarova and Anthony Dowell, Kultur video. Lovely sets and costumes, and for me it is the definitive version.
2. La Bayadere: Also Royal Ballet, with Altynai Asylmuratova, Irek Mukhamedov, Darcey Bussell. All three principals are wonderful, and very well cast I think. Also from Kultur.
3. Balanchine Library, Volume 1: Tzigane, Divertimento 15, and 4 Temperaments: All of the videos in this series are good, but this is, IMO, the best. I ordered mine from NYCB's gift shop online, and I plan on someday owning all of them. They are, however, more expensive than the Kultur videos.
4. Coppelia, Australian Ballet, Kultur. This one is probably the only truly first-rate Coppelia video out there right now. Lisa Pavane and Greg Horsman are the leads.
5. Le Corsaire, ABT--Not a very serious or accessible ballet, but it's loads of fun to watch. I taped mine off PBS but I think Kultur sells it.
6. Mariinsky Ballet-Kirov Classics: Nice "mixed bill" video that includes Chopiniana [aka Les Sylphides], an avant garde version of Petrushka that I just fast-forward through, Barber's Adagio, Le Corsaire pdd, The Fairy Doll, Markitenka [aka Le Vivandiere], and Paquita. It's a good way to see many of the Kirov's stars. It too is from Kultur.

I have other videos as well, but these seem to be the best deals for my money, as I too am a student and have a very limited income.

#3 Nora

Nora

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 06:04 PM

Don Q with Nureyev and the Australian Ballet is one of my very favorites. I think he is better here than in any other video I've seen him on. Lucette Aldous who plays Kitri is very vivacious, although I will leave it to others who know better than I how good she is. I suspect that she could have been better. Robert Helpmann has the title role, and co-directed it with Nureyev. It is even listed in one of my video guides as being "not just for ballet fans." It has been recently remastered, but I have seen some of the old copies still on sale, most recently at the Kennedy Center gift shop. If you buy it, make sure you get one of the new ones; when I first bought it two years ago, I kept playing with the controls on the tv and video to get a better picture! Silly me.

#4 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 06:13 PM

If you check into eBay (www.ebay.com), type in Ballet VHS and hit "enter", you will be able to pick up alot of these videos at a price that will fit a student's budget! That's how I built up most of my Balanchine Library - buying them all retail would have cost me a small fortune! :)

Also, you might want to try [url="http://"http://www.half.com"]www.half.com[/url]

#5 Guest_June_*

Guest_June_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 06 June 2001 - 10:16 PM

...Or you can click on the Amazon.com banner at the top and help generate money for this site :)

#6 Cliff

Cliff

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 12:12 AM

It should be mentioned that many public libraries carry ballet videos. Rental is free.

My favorite is volume one of the Balanchine collection. I intend to purchase my own copy becuase it stands up to repeated viewings.

Cliff

#7 petitallegro

petitallegro

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 07:50 AM

Thanks, you guys! I'll keep an eye on ebay, and go to our library soon. I think that it is very important to watch great dancers to become a better dancer.
Also, what about music? I want a complete recording of swan lake, and other ballets but I can only find them in records. Does anyone know if there are more...recent, shall we say...recordings?
Thanks, this is very helpful.

#8 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 08:07 AM

The Live from Lincoln Center broadcast (1976-77?) of 'Giselle' with Natalia Makarova and Mikhail Baryshnikov is wonderful. Makarova and Baryshnikov are sublime throughout, and conductor John Lanchberry breathes new life into the otherwise forgettable Adam score. I think it's still available on VHS.

I also have a video of Ashton's 'Cinderella' from 1969 with the Royal Ballet starring Antoinette Sibley and Anthony Dowell. Sibley and Dowell are lovely, but Ashton and Robert Helpmann almost steal the show as the wicked stepsisters. I hope this is still available on video.

Melissa

#9 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 11:19 AM

I love all of the Russian compilation tapes, with "Glory of the Kirov" and "Glory of the Bolshoi" as the absolute-favorites.

#10 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 01:14 PM

I have the Ashton Cinderella, it is available from Kultur. Also, if the Makarova/Baryshnikov Giselle is still available, where can I get it?

#11 Melissa

Melissa

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 03:25 PM

The Makarova/Baryshnikov 'Giselle' video is currently being auctioned on eBay. Here is the link:
[url="http://"http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1435330407"]http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=1435330407[/url]

I've searched for it at every online vendor I can think of and struck out, so your best bet may be to bid on it at eBay. Good Luck :-)!

Melissa

#12 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 June 2001 - 10:38 PM

Balanchine Celebration Vol. I & II

ABT's "Swan Lake" with Makarova & Nagy

ABT's "Giselle" with Makarova & Baryshnikov

ABT's "Don Q" with Barsyshnikov

NYCB's "The Nutcracker" in DVD

The tapes are wearing out due to repeated viewings, hope they'll be republished in DVD.

Have anyone seen Berlin Staatsoper Ballet's "Swan Lake" with Scherzer and Daniel Barenboim conducting? It's out on DVD.

#13 ~A.C~

~A.C~

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 03:26 PM

Recordings...

Swan Lake - there is one beautiful recording with Antal Dorati's conducting, but I don't know if you will be able to find it. Look for it if you can. Whatever you do, however, stay away from the release of the Boston Symphony orchestra's recording with a big no. 2 on the cover.

The Nutcracker - for a concert/listening, try the Valery Gergiev recording. Otherwise, the Antal Dorati with the Royal Concertabough - NOT the LSO, is a good one for practicing to.

Sleeping Beauty - there is a nice one with Leanard Bernstien conducting.

Anything else? :)

#14 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 09:04 PM

1) Anyuta with E. Maximova
2) Swan Lake with Makarova and Dowell
3) Giselle with Fracci and Bruhn
4) Romeo and Juliet with Fontyn and Nuryev
5) La Bayadere (POB) with Platel, Guerin, Hilaire
6) Swan Lake (POB) with Pietragalla and Dupond

and there's a lot more!!

#15 Guest_Veronika_*

Guest_Veronika_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:29 AM

BalletNut, re: the Makarova/Baryshnikov "Giselle," please see my post about its being on sale in the "Video Swapshop" Forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):