This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PBS will telecast their 2003 production of Fledermaus on December 31 (9PM EST). The beauteous June Anderson is the Rosalinda & Wolfgang Brendel is the Eisenstein.

Among the Act II guests are Ethan Stiefel & Gillian Murphy who will be dancing, not singing.

Placido also shows up.

Check local times.

I was lucky enough to see this wonderful production live. I don't have the program with me, so I'm not 100% sure about this, but Gillian and Ethan performed a pas de deux from "The Flames of Paris." There is a ballet by that title, isn't there? Ayway, like Placido's guest apperance (and the guest appearances of several other musicians, a singer, and a tango dancer), Gillian and Ethan's pdd had nothing to do with the opera itself. Nonetheless, I enjoyed all of the "divertissments" quite a bit.

The opera itself was very good -- and quite hilarious. I enjoyed Anderson and Brendel as well as Jesus Garcia in a supporting role.

Dale, I'm happy that this was announced here...even if 'dumb me' just lucked into it (!!).

I am very familiar with 'Flames of Paris' pdd; it's a competitions staple, after all! It was danced in-full, 100%, by Murphy & Stiefel. This pdd is unusual in that it contains no adagio at the start...only the short majestic waltz. No steps were altered due to the set. The only unusual choreography in the Murphy/Stiefel rendition, as far as I could tell, was the altering of the final diagonal of steps in the female solo; this is usually performed as hops on pointe, whereas Murphy performed a series of alternating chaine turns & pirouettes...to accentuate her natural strengths, no doubt. She was FABULOUS!

It was nice -- if not a bit amusing -- to see Stiefel doing the authentic Soviet-proletariat 'Chaboukiani' poses...standing with deep leans & hand to heart...like a massive Soviet-era statue. Only the hammer & sickle were missing from his hands!