This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Plisetskaya's 'Ave Maya' book & more

Natalia

According to the November 29, 2004, issue of Moskovski Komsomolets, Maya Plisetskaya was to return to the stage of the New Opera Theater that evening (29th) to dance a miniature created for her by Maurice Bejart, titled "Ave Maya". That same day, she held a book signing of her new autobiographical photo album with over 300 photos, many of them never before published.

Richard et. al. -

Yes, it did happen on that night (Nov 29). I used the future tense only to echo the newspaper article...but it did happen.

She's quite an active lady, in her 80th year...she turned 79 on November 20 '04 so, technically, she's into her 80th year! I look forward to the 80th birthday gala next year!!! Hurrah for Maya Plisetskaya, giving hope & cheer to all of us ladies past the age of Brittany Spears!!!! (wink-wink)

- Natalia

That same day, she held a book signing of her new autobiographical photo album with over 300 photos, many of them never before published.

If my visa comes through (fingers crossed) I'm going to Moscow for the World Figure Skating Championships in March. Is there a place you would recommend for a non-Russian speaker to buy this book there? I've got a dead ear for languages -- it took my friend Alexander three days to teach me how to say "cheers" -- but by then, I should be able to say hello/goodbye/please/thank you/I'm sorry I was such a clod and stepped on your foot.

That's great, Helene!

I would go to the large Dom Kniga ("House of Books") store on Novy Arbat Street, the huge boulevard that connects the Ukrania Hotel (where I know a lot of the North Am tour groups going to Worlds are staying) with the Kremlin/center of town. Dom Kniga is on the north side of the street, about halfway between the Ukrania & the Kremlin. Go to the dance/ballet section on the 2nd storey. It should be there (along with lots of other goodies). Dom Kniga is the government book store, so not only do they have the best selection (most titles) but the prices tend to be better than in private shops.

Alternately, go to the Bolshoi Theater's little shop, in a small building behind the main theater...across the street from Tsum Dept Store....but they tend to have few copies of hard-cover books and sell-out quickly on practically everything. I usually go there for hard-copy back issues of the Russian 'Balet' magazine & VHSs and DVDs. [Hint: Russian DVDs tend to be playable on any plasma-screen computer or TV set, incl US....VHS tapes are not.]

Sorry that I don't have street addresses; it's all in my head.

- Natalia

According to the November 29, 2004, issue of Moskovski Komsomolets, Maya Plisetskaya was to return to the stage of the New Opera Theater that evening (29th) to dance a miniature created for her by Maurice Bejart, titled "Ave Maya". That same day, she held a book signing of her new autobiographical photo album with over 300 photos, many of them never before published.

I've just read your post about Plisetskaya and I am interested in this new photo album. Is there any way to get it in the USA? Or, if not, is there any Russian mailorder bookstore, a kind of Amazon, that one can get it from. I read some Russian but I don't have cyrilic characters on my keyboard. Do you know of any such place and could give me a link? I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance,

Iza

Edited by Ariodante

I wish, ariodante! I've seen the book only at the Moscow & St. P. branches of Dom Knigi. I've never thought of looking, am not aware of, a Russian equivalent of amazon.com. I'll search the web a bit & see.

Another thought: Perhaps a US-based on-line store for Russians-in-exile would have it? That's probably a safer bet, truth be told. Original books are outrageously expensive for Russians on fixed incomes. It would not be very profitable to have an on-line book service within Russia...but there could be -- the ARE -- Russian book & DVD/VHS online services here in North America.

Feel free to search & I will, too. At least that's a start...find the shop, then we'll ask them about the recent ballet books.

p.s. - As you live in CT, you're probably fairly close to NYC, right? There are several Russian book & video stores in Brighton Beach a.k.a. "Little Odessa."

Down the East coast....There's one in the Silver Spring area of Wash, DC, which I'll look for, on line. Wish I could give more specific info at this time. Maybe other forum members are in the know? - Natalia

Here are a couple of DC-area bookstores specializing in Russian items. It's a start!

East-West Bookstore, Inc.

Книги, музыка, фильмы на русском языке в магазине East-West.

Address:

1326 Reisterstown Road,

Pikesville , MD 21208

Phone: 410-653-4160

Voice Mail: 410-653-4160

E-Mail: info@eastwestkniga.com

Home Page: http://www.eastwestkniga.com

Viktor Kamkin Bookstore (Gaithersburg)

Address:

220 Girard Street, Suite 1,

Gaithersburg , MD 20877

Phone: 301-990-4010

Fax: 301-990-4822

E-Mail: Kamkin@Kamkin.com

Home Page: http://www.kamkin.com

Source for this & more: http://russiandc.com

Wild Pigs do fly. Feast your eyes on this:

http://www.dom-knigi.ru/

The above has Maximova's autobio:

http://www.dom-knigi.ru/book.asp?Art=133500&CatalogID=-1

Here's another store, apparently based in the US, but linked to the St. Pete Dom Knigi. I'd call them, even though the catalog may not show many ballet books.

http://www.ruskniga.com/

Finally, upon further 'digging,' I see that the above is linked to this store, for which there is no telephone shown on the above website...but, again, something to explore, in the NYC area:

RUSSIAN ENTERTAINMENT WHOLESALE.

7 BRIGHTON 1 ST ROAD,BROOKLYN,NY 11235

Enjoy!

I have the "Ave Maya" book. It is very beautiful with hundreds of photos. A unique thing is that many of the photos have Maya's own handwritten comments. The text is in both Russian and English. The author is a friend so I got it from him.