This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Question on Edward Villella (from a newbie)

Lissbirds

Hello all--

I am new to this board and I'm only a novice observer of ballet. (Even though I might not know all of the terminology and history, I do love it very much!) Anyway, my mother is the person who introduced me to ballet (from when I was a little girl she would take me to see the NYCB at their summer residence) and she always is telling me about how when she was young she saw Edward Villella in a production of Prodigal Son and how she loved it--("He jumped so high it was like I could reach my hand out and touch him from the balcony!") I am hoping to surprise her this Christmas with a video recording of one of Villella's performances, but, alas, I have had no luck in finding any. From what I can tell, a Prodical Son production starring Villella was never filmed, so I have given up hope in that respect. But I am asking you if anyone knows if any other of his ballets are available on video/DVD, and I would even settle for a video of clips and highlights from his career. I thank you all in advance and I am so happy that such a great ballet resource is out there on the web!

--Melissa :happy:

There's a video of a 1968 film about Villella which won an Emmy, called "Man Who Dances." It's a sort of cinema verite piece, a little arty but better than nothing. My copy came from Direct Cinema Limited. I don't know if they're still in business, but for what it's worth, they were In Santa Monica, CA and their phone number was (310) 396-4774.

Perhaps better would be a copy of Villella's autobiography,"Prodigal Son." This has several photos, among them a spectacular one of his leap which shows exactly what your mother is talking about. It was published in 1992 and is out of print, but I'm sure is available from used booksellers like abebooks.com. Good luck.

There's a video of a 1968 film about Villella which won an Emmy, called "Man Who Dances." It's a sort of cinema verite piece, a little arty but better than nothing. My copy came from Direct Cinema Limited. I don't know if they're still in business, but for what it's worth, they were In Santa Monica, CA and their phone number was (310) 396-4774.

Perhaps better would be a copy of Villella's autobiography,"Prodigal Son." This has several photos, among them a spectacular one of his leap which shows exactly what your mother is talking about. It was published in 1992 and is out of print, but I'm sure is available from used booksellers like abebooks.com. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the info--I'll look into that and see if I can obtain a copy of that program. I actually did buy her the book a few years ago for her birthday! I just happened to see it by chance in the bookstore and lucked out. Thanks again for the info! :D

--Melissa

What a sweet daughter you sound like! This is maybe a bit farther afield than you want to go, but the video, Elusive Muse, about Suzanne Farrell, includes an interview with Edward Villella among others who have partnered her and perhaps, I don't recally exactly, some brief clips of him performing. It's a brilliant documentary nonetheless, and I think anyone who loved that era of NYCB would enjoy it.

I agree with scoop about Elusive Muse, naturally. It's unfortunate that the film of Midsummer Night's Dream with Farrell, Villella, and Arthur Mitchell that was shown a couple of months ago at the Walter Reade Theater is not commercially available. Elusive Muse has excerpts from it, but they don't include Villella, whose Oberon was unmatched. No one but Peter Boal has ever come close. It's possibly forgotten that, though it didn't happen often, Suzanne danced with Eddie in a couple of other signature ballets of his -- Bugaku and Prodigal Son. But no tape or film exists, to my knowledge.

Thanks for everyone who responded--I saw that DVD about Farrell on Amazon, I think, so that should be no problem. Too bad that production of Midsummer Night's Dream isn't available! That's one of our favorites that we've seen at the NYCB. Maybe someday it will be available for us to purchase (probably a copyright issue or something like that?) Or maybe someone will find some old film footage of Prodigal Son sitting in their attic somewhere. :happy: But I guess I'll have to settle for what's out there. Thanks again!

--Melissa :)

Do you mean the "Dance In America: Choreography by Balanchine" video? I had seen that Villella is listed as appearing in that series (Part 1 and 2, I think?) but I couldn't figure out if that meant he was interviewed for the show or if they actually had footage of him dancing. I see all four episodes are on Amazon are available used (e.g. Jewels/Stravinsky Violin Cto.), but I don't know which ones (if any) have Villella in them. Then I also saw "Balanchine: Dance in America: The Balanchine Celebration" Parts 1 and 2, and I don't know who's on that video either. Does anyone know what is what?

--Melissa

Well, this is in the New York Public Library:

Telecast on WNET/13 in 1966. Producer: Jac Venza. Director: Charles S. Dubin. Written by Bo Goldman.

Choreography: George Balanchine.

Costumes for last three ballets: Karinska. Performed by members of the New York City Ballet Company.

Summary: Balanchine briefly discusses his views on dance (throughout program). Comments by the male dancers precede each of the four works performed.

CONTENTS: Agon: Pas de deux. Music: Igor Stravinsky. Danced by Arthur Mitchell and Suzanne Farrell. -- Tarantella. Music: Louis Gottschalk, orchestrated by Hershey Kay. Danced by Patricia McBride and Edward Villella. -- Meditation. Music: Peter Tchaikovsky. Danced by Suzanne Farrell and Jacques D'Amboise. -- Grand pas de deux. Music: Peter Tchaikovsky. Danced by Melissa Hayden and Jacques D'Amboise.

I think Tarantella, with Villella and McBride, was one of the ballets filmed in Germany in 1973.  I think I remember seeing it on TV once, but it's never been available commercially.

I have this vibrant memory of Villella & McBride doing Tarentella... it seems to me that it was shot in the quality of the 1970s Dance In America series which I thought were shot at the Grand Old Opry stage because it was so large it allowed the cameras the angles they wanted... but perhaps I'm misinformed. I could easily have gotten PBS & WNET mixed up as I was living in NJ at the time... but I don't think I would have remembered a 1966 telecast... (I was five in 1966).. also, I'm remembering a color video and I'm sure we only had a black & white TV in '66. I also remember the Meditation video though... perhaps it was re-broadcast in the 70s? But it had that Merrill Brockway/ Emile Ardolino (sp?) look to it.

In addition to the two films with Villella, McBride was involved in another one - in color - with John Clifford. It was from the early 1971, called "Le New York City Ballet." The first of the two with Villella was from the mid-60s, called "New York City Ballet." This film is being shown on December 16 at 6pm, along with some other historical Balanchine films of that time, at the Lincoln Center library. The second of the two is the one filmed in Germany. It also is in color and was shown, with Duo Concertante and Serenade, on PBS in 1975.

Amy, vibrant is an understatement for that Tarantella. I've seen many good performances of this ballet but Villella and McBride are definitive. I believe at least the later Dance in Americas were indeed shot in Nashville; Ashley recalls talking to Balanchine there just before he made Ballo for her in early 78.

There was also a PBS broadcast, in the Seventies I believe, called "Three by Balanchine"; don't know if anyone recalls it, but I think it had Duo Concertant, Serenade, and something. Think Duo was Mazzo and Martins...

Yep, this one:

Telecast on May 21, 1975 by WNET/13, New York on the series, Great performances. Dances filmed in 1973 by RM Productions, Munich in cooperation with Unitel, directed by Hugo Niebeling. For WNET/13 telecast, narration by Clive Barnes and visuals by Emile Ardolino.

Choreography: George Balanchine. Conducted by Robert Irving with the Orf Symphony Orchestra. Narration written by Clive Barnes. Performed by members of the New York City Ballet Company.

CONTENTS. - Serenade. Music: Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky. Danced by Karin von Aroldingen, Susan Hendl, Sara Leland, Kay Mazzo, Jean-Pierre Bonnefous, Peter Martins, and artists of the New York City Ballet. - Tarantella. Music: Louis Moreau Gottschalk, as arranged by Hershey Kay. Danced by Edward Villella and Patricia McBride. - Duo concertant. Music: Igor Stravinsky. Music performed by Gordon Boelzner, piano, and H. Cees Van Schaik, violin. Danced by Kay Mazzo and Peter Martins.

Telecast on May 21, 1975 by WNET/13, New York on the series, Great performances. Dances filmed in 1973 by RM Productions, Munich in cooperation with Unitel, directed by Hugo Niebeling. For WNET/13 telecast, narration by Clive Barnes and visuals by Emile Ardolino.

That must be it. I could easily mix up Great Performances with Dance In America and it had that Ardolino look. Not available on DVD I suppose? One would hope that since it was filmed in Munich the rights would have been more forthcoming? After all, it could be the definitive recording of Tarentella... though I hate for there to be a single "definitive" recording of anything... tends to freeze the interpretations.

Just an update--I did contact Direct Cinema Limited to see if the "Man Who Dances" video is available--sadly it is not. :dry: I'll have to keep digging around for something in the meantime, but again, thanks everyone for the great response.

--Melissa

I bought mine at the New York City Ballet pretty recently. It might be available at the New York State Theater.

Is this the same as the "Choreography by Balanchine" tapes? (In two parts) I'm a little confused.

--Melissa

Yep, this one:

Choreography: George Balanchine. Conducted by Robert Irving with the Orf Symphony Orchestra. Narration written by Clive Barnes. Performed by members of the New York City Ballet Company.

CONTENTS. - Serenade. Music: Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky. Danced by Karin von Aroldingen, Susan Hendl, Sara Leland, Kay Mazzo, Jean-Pierre Bonnefous, Peter Martins, and artists of the New York City Ballet. - Tarantella. Music: Louis Moreau Gottschalk, as arranged by Hershey Kay. Danced by Edward Villella and Patricia McBride. - Duo concertant. Music: Igor Stravinsky. Music performed by Gordon Boelzner, piano, and H. Cees Van Schaik, violin. Danced by Kay Mazzo and Peter Martins.

I just checked the NYCB's gift shop site--I didn't see it on there so I guess you can only get it in person. But thanks for the heads up, though.

--Melissa

Just an update--I did contact Direct Cinema Limited to see if the "Man Who Dances" video is available--sadly it is not.   :dry:   I'll have to keep digging around for something in the meantime, but again, thanks everyone for the great response.

--Melissa

I bought mine at the New York City Ballet pretty recently. It might be available at the New York State Theater.

Regarding your question on the 1975 tape. No it is not the Choreography by Balanchine series. These were part of a group of ballets filmed in Germany in the early 1970s. Balanchine thought he'd be involved in the direction of the works, but instead Hugo Niebeling did the honors. The camera angles were terrible and the ballets looked chopped up. Balanchine told his assistant Barbara Horgan, "Not my ballets."

Balanchine thought he'd be involved in the direction of the works, but instead Hugo Niebeling did the honors. The camera angles were terrible and the ballets looked chopped up.  Balanchine told his assistant Barbara Horgan, "Not my ballets."

In Dancing for Balanchine Merrill Ashley wrote,

The directors of the project would not listen to Balanchine, who soon soured on the project, realizing that the results would be worthless.  They were bent on "artistic" camera work, filming from every imaginable angle, zooming in and out--the very thing that Balanchine wanted to avoid.  Years later I saw some of the results:  a perfectly ridiculous rendition of Stars and Stripes with the camera right, left, high, and low, nervously zeroing in on heads an feet at the most unexpected moments.  It ws impossible to tell what was happening.  Only the music remained intact.

According to Joseph Mazo in Dance Is a Contact Sport, the dancers had voted against going to Berlin, but management called a second vote. At the meeting,

Enter Balanchine.  He makes some jokes, starts everyone laughing, then tells his company that he will go to Berlin, even if they vote against it.  He'll negotiate with those who want to go, then fill in the gaps with German dancers.  Now, he wants his dancers to take a second vote, because they were "cajoled" the first time and really didn't understand the situation.
Needless to say, the second vote was for going to Berlin. I guess that is in the "be careful of what you wish for" category. Mazo notes that Villella, who had film experience, "[thought] the kids should know what they [would be] in for."

Again from Ashley,

The filming studios were forty-five minutes by bus from our hotel, and there was never more than forty-five minutes alloted for class.  The studio for class was very small and, unfortunately, had a cement floor...Many of the dancers had killing days on the set:  eight hours spent endlessly repeating the same sequence was not uncommon.
With little to show for it.

The filming of Tarentella was, by contrast, very straightforward.

I remember the Tarentella as being very good... I don't remember any of the others... though I do remember a Serenade on video, it's quite possibly from some other recording.

[snip]

Merrill Ashley:

Years later I saw some of the results:  a perfectly ridiculous rendition of Stars and Stripes with the camera right, left, high, and low, nervously zeroing in on heads an feet at the most unexpected moments. 

Was this the same team?

I can see I'll have to visit the Dance Collection sometime to get my memory straightened out.

I do remember a Serenade on video, it's quite possibly from some other recording.

Perhaps you're thinking of the recording made around 1994 in Denmark? It was shown (on PBS) along with Western Symphony and both looked very good indeed. Unfortunately the program has never been shown again and was never released on video.