This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wanted: Drigo Full Length Ballet Videos

Guest JaySilman

For example, Le Million de Harequin

The Magic Flute

Le Reveil de Flora, etc.

VHS will be fine

and if you have the ballet music score..even better!

Please advise.

Hi, Jay! Another Drigo fan in our midst. Yeah!

I trust that you've written to 'Francoise' by now and that she'll be able to help you. That's why I don't even bother to offer my services; Francoise is tops!

For the record--and as a 'public service' to other Drigophiles on this Board --following is a list of what I have in my video collection, to music by Drigo:

* THE TALISMAN, complete - Arena di Verona reconstruction; in addition, there are various video versions of the Soviet-era pas de deux (Niriti & the Wind-God), which was not a part of the full-length ballet

* MAGIC FLUTE, complete - NYCB, Peter Martins (& Balanchine?), closely following the Ivanov mise-en-scene directions. A delight!

* REVEIL DE FLORE pas de deux - Joffrey dancers, Ann Marie d'Angelo & Ron Reagan (yes--the son of the ex-President)

* HARLEQUINADE, complete, Kirov Filial Troupe & St. Petersburg Maly; highlights of NYCB version (Balanchine); many versions of the Soviet-era pas de deux

* ESMERALDA, complete, St. Petersburg Maly - Drigo wrote music to additions to Act II, including the famous Fleur-de-Lys Waltz, Diana & Acteon pdd, etc.

* LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE, complete, Kirov-Vaganova Academy - Drigo wrote music to a few variations in the Underwater Grotto scene; also, some Drigo music included inthe Soviet-era addition to this scene "Ocean and Two Pearls pas de trois" (which may--just may--be derived from Drigo's full-length ballet, THE PEARL, written for Tsar Nicholas II's coronation)

* LE CORSAIRE pas de deux (or pas de trois, depending on version) - many, many videos!

* SWAN LAKE 1895 version - Drigo orchestrated some little-known Tchaikovsky piano pieces for the definitive Petipa/ivanov version, such as Odile's solo and Valse Bluette/Un Poco di Chopin for the swans in the final scene.

So, you see, Drigo lives on in our collections!

One more thing...have you tried Dance Books (UK shop) for the scores? It's the only shop where I recall seeing several complete scores of ballet music. Good luck! - Jeannie

[This message has been edited by Jeannie (edited December 28, 2000).]

Guest JaySilman
Originally posted by Jeannie:

Hi, Jay! Another Drigo fan in our midst. Yeah!

I trust that you've written to 'Francoise' by now and that she'll be able to help you. That's why I don't even bother to offer my services; Francoise is tops!

For the record--and as a 'public service' to other Drigophiles on this Board --following is a list of what I have in my video collection, to music by Drigo:

* THE TALISMAN, complete - Arena di Verona reconstruction; in addition, there are various video versions of the Soviet-era pas de deux (Niriti & the Wind-God), which was not a part of the full-length ballet

* MAGIC FLUTE, complete - NYCB, Peter Martins (& Balanchine?), closely following the Ivanov mise-en-scene directions. A delight!

* REVEIL DE FLORE pas de deux - Joffrey dancers, Ann Marie d'Angelo & Ron Reagan (yes--the son of the ex-President)

* HARLEQUINADE, complete, Kirov Filial Troupe & St. Petersburg Maly; highlights of NYCB version (Balanchine); many versions of the Soviet-era pas de deux

* ESMERALDA, complete, St. Petersburg Maly - Drigo wrote music to additions to Act II, including the famous Fleur-de-Lys Waltz, Diana & Acteon pdd, etc.

* LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE, complete, Kirov-Vaganova Academy - Drigo wrote music to  a few variations in the Underwater Grotto scene; also, some Drigo music included inthe Soviet-era addition to this scene "Ocean and Two Pearls pas de trois" (which may--just may--be derived from Drigo's full-length ballet, THE PEARL, written for Tsar Nicholas II's coronation)

* LE CORSAIRE pas de deux (or pas de trois, depending on version) - many, many videos!

* SWAN LAKE 1895 version - Drigo orchestrated some little-known Tchaikovsky piano pieces for the definitive Petipa/ivanov version, such as Odile's solo and Valse Bluette/Un Poco di Chopin for the swans in the final scene.

So, you see, Drigo lives on in our collections!

One more thing...have you tried Dance Books (UK shop) for the scores? It's the only shop where I recall seeing several complete scores of ballet music. Good luck! - Jeannie

[This message has been edited by Jeannie (edited December 28, 2000).]

Jeannie,

Would you please contact me at MUSC1800S@aol.com regarding above so that we can work out the details? I am interested in your collection.

Regards and Best Wishes, Jay Silman

Will do.

Jan. 2 update: Jay, I never received a response from you to my e-mail of last week. Please write soon if you'd like my help, as I will be on extended travel during most of January and unable to provide you with the information that you need. Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Jeannie (edited January 02, 2001).]