This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Most Beautiful Female Dancer(s)

brbropus39

It's a crazy question because it goes to what we each find beautiful as well as what the conventional wisdom on the subject is.

I find many ballerinas stunning so it's hard to choose and why bother... we are blessed to have so many beauties with such talent and dedication to thrill us on stage.

The one who is dancing at the moment is the most beautiful!

Everyone seemed to enjoy the Most Handsome Male Dancers discussion, so I thought I'd start a similar search for the most beautiful female dancers.

I've decided upon Julie Kent, Stella Abrera, Janie Taylor, and Irina Dvorovenko. (In no particular order)

Zakharova,Saidakova,Semionova,Abbagnato(only her face!!!),Osipova,Cojocaru,Aurelie Dupont....

There were some photos with Nureyev, and much as I love Fonteyn, I can imagine what the more animal Sizova would have done partnering Nureyev throughout her career.

A lot of bridge building would have to have taken place first as Sizova and Nureyev hated one another. Forced by the Kirov management to share a flat in Leningrad, she moved her mother in and he moved his siter in. The resuts were volatile.

Forced by the Kirov management to share a flat in Leningrad, she moved her mother in and he moved his siter in. The resuts were volatile.

Thanks, Mashinka. Is this story best told in the Kavanagh bio or elsewhere? That episode would interest me.

I should add that I do find that among film actors, there seen to have always been more 'pretty women' than men, but that with stage actors 'prettiness' is also not as important, just as in ballet. However, I've looked at BallerinaGallery at some of the new favourites posted this morning, and most of this is too difficult to determine, unless you see the dancers both onstage and off, as dancerboy had described in the 'Most Beautiful Male Dancer' thread. I've only seen Nureyev, Baryshnikov and many of the NYCB dancers offstage (that I know of), and looking at these photos, I see that I find Aurelie Dupont and Sylvie Guillem exquisite in some photos, but don't have any idea how much it has to do with the onstage projection and makeup. I know that most of the NYCB ballerinas are much more beautiful onstage than off, because they give more of what they are there and also some have faces that are plain until painted. For the most part, it is only models that always have that drop-dead look at all times. Sander0, I admit some of this is somewhat superficial, but then many of the best things in life are...

For the most part, it is only models that always have that drop-dead look at all times.
You can remove models from that list of "drop-dead look at all times." One of the "moms" in my dog's play group was a well-known model who went on to become The Face of a cosmetics company. She was pleasant looking, but without professionally applied makeup and the right lighting, you probably wouldn't look twice at her.

I think ballet dancers of both sexes, at least in the larger companies, are collectively significantly better looking than their "civilian" counterparts.

I've always thought Patricia McBride one of the most beautiful women ever to set foot on a ballet stage.

She's one of the ones I was thinking of when thinking of faces that come alive when painted. I never wanted to admit this, because she's one of my favourite of all performers, but I think it's like that. Not needing the makeup is mostly the province of women with very big, dramatic features, a dramatic look, whatever the profession--like Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Kiri TeKanawa, or Sophia Loren. Come to think of it, there are plenty of men who could use some make-up offstage as well as on, and some of them do wear it, as we know.

I've always thought Patricia McBride one of the most beautiful women ever to set foot on a ballet stage.

She's one of the ones I was thinking of when thinking of faces that come alive when painted. I never wanted to admit this, because she's one of my favourite of all performers, but I think it's like that. Not needing the makeup is mostly the province of women with very big, dramatic features, a dramatic look, whatever the profession--like Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave, Kiri TeKanawa, or Sophia Loren. Come to think of it, there are plenty of men who could use some make-up offstage as well as on, and some of them do wear it, as we know.

how often have you actually seen sophia loren with no makeup? :wink:

Most people benefit from at least a little help, and even most "makeup-free looks" rely on basics like foundation, a touch of blush, and at least a bit of lipcolor.

Personally, I'm someone with big dramatic features and a dramatic look. And I still think I look better with makeup (and what could be more dramatic than big lips painted red?)

That said I'm probably more conventionally pretty with "normal makeup" vs stage makeup which my husband finds rather grotesque up close ;)

All that said, I'm not claiming I'm beautiful! I just like makeup alot.

how often have you actually seen sophia loren with no makeup? :wink:

Not nearly as often as I wish...

Most people benefit from at least a little help, and even most "makeup-free looks" rely on basics like foundation, a touch of blush, and at least a bit of lipcolor.

Yes, I was thinking about these issues, and it has to be with male/female things eons old, and some of my most feminist friends (who claim to love Helen Mirren with no make-up) go on and use some lipstick. One time I made a slightly outrageous (though masculine) party costume for myself in the 70s, sort of a combination of Harlequin and Breughel. I modelled it for my girlfriend of the time and thought it needed a little lipstick for me as well. She said 'WHY did you put on lipstick!!!!???' :lol:

That said I'm probably more conventionally pretty with "normal makeup" vs stage makeup which my husband finds rather grotesque up close ;)

All that said, I'm not claiming I'm beautiful! I just like makeup alot.

Oh well, I bet you are, though! Anyway, however she got that way, I still agree that Patty MacBride is one of the most delicious-looking creatures I've ever seen anywhere. Nadja Auermann is fine with me as well, though. And dancers definitely would agree with carbro that they are the best-looking, as Peter Martins reassures us in 'Far from Denmark'. Many would love the 'civilians' nomenclature as well. I knew one choreographer who even told me he thought dancers had an especially keen 'existence awareness'. I hope they do, but that was still a bit :yucky:

I know that Aurelie Dupont has been mentioned before in this subject, but I wanted to say that I feel she should have a special place in the list of Beautiful Dancers. For anyone who does not already know, Aurelie is an Etoile (Star) at the Paris Opera, where she appears in many different types of Roles. She is an equisite Dancer, very musical, and with a marvelous technique and presence on stage.

As a woman (35 years) she is very beautiful, with dark brown hair and brown eyes full of expression. Beauty is not just in ones "eye" but comes from within, and Aurelie is very natural, kind and down to earth. Her successful career does not seem to have gone to her head, she can be seen in some interviews sitting on the stairs at the PariS Opera, or simply sitting casually cross legged on the floor in her dressing room, with a pile of new pointe shoes at her side.

She is reputed to be very approachable, although perhaps a little shy, she seems to be happy to talk with people who wait to see her at the Stage door, where she is considered by her supporters to be someone very special. Both in France and abroad, in countries such as Japan, she is admired like a pop star. And yet she still stays humble, quite willing to talk about her career and life.

Recently Aurelie has annouced that she is expecting her first child " A dream in her private life" which she told Ivan Sebastini in a interview in Dance magazine in December 2003, when asked about life in the future, she said "She would very much like a family, hopefully before the end of her career, as she could not imagine herself without children".

Papa is, Jeremie Belingard, also a Star Dancer at the Opera, and their little star is expected in early summer 2008.

A BEAUTIFUL DREAM COME TRUE, FOR A BEAUTIFUL COUPLE. HE IS LOVELY TOO !!! :clapping:

I must make special mention of Maria Kowroski here. Her feet are fluid and graceful, just beautiful to watch. Yes, her feet. Sheer poety.

Mmm...( :smilie_mondieu: ) The "Most handsome male dancer(s)" thread has casted more votes and discussion than its female counterpart. (121 vs. 114) so far... :tomato:

Interesting, right..?

...but back to beautiful ballerinas...

What a subject!.I am reminded of the Judgement of Paris.Dosteyevsky said "Beauty will redeem the world" Thomas Aquinas said "Beauty is the spendour of order"It seems ever so slightly unworthy to compile a list out of so many many luminaries but since so many others have , a compelling precendent has been set.I rest my case!

Allegra kent

Tanaquil leClerq

Diana Adams

Kyra Nichols

Ekaterina Maximova

Olga Spessisteva

Natalia Bessmertnova

Susan Jaffe

Amanda Mckerrow

Aurelie Dupont

Incomplete I know but it is hard to number the radiant stars in the dancing galaxy.All I know is that if a similar judgement were made of me,I would most likely be subterranean.