This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Most Beautiful Female Dancer(s)

brbropus39

I'd vote for Fonteyn, Shearer, Farrel, McBride, Makhalina, Lezhina, and Kent. Actually, although I listed virtually all Western dancers I guess I really think the Russian companies have more beauties in their company rosters. I've always thought that two of the more minor soloists in the Kirov Don Quixote video -- from the tavern scene, the Oriental dancer and Mercedes -- were extremely beautiful, although I guess they're not stars.

I'd vote for Fonteyn, Shearer, Farrel, McBride, Makhalina, Lezhina, and Kent.  although I guess they're not stars.

One question. Do you mean Allegra or Julie Kent? Not to diss either lady but I don't think of either one as a great beauty but somehow on stage they light up like a beacon.

I just rewatched The Red Shoes after many, many years and was pretty much swept away at Shearer's beauty. Wow.

Richard

I mean Julie Kent. I don't find her especially photogenic but I one time sat in the front row of one of her performances as Giselle and found her absolutely gorgeous as opposed to seeing her on film. Actually, I didn't mean Asymulratova (I'm much more impressed with her dancing than her looks) but the character dancer in the sarabande... Yelena Sherstnyova.

Svetlana Zhakarova. To me she embodies the very idea of a 21st century St. Petersburg Grand Ballerina. That woman is to me - through her body, technique, and style - the achievement of 500 years of ballerina evolution

I try to go see an many companies as I can but when I am unable to go I try to keep up to date through magazines and websites like ballet talk.

As for the most beautiful dancers I think the some of the current ones that come to mind to me are

Saskia Beskow (NYCB)

Kristin Sloan (NYCB)

Julie Kent (ABT)

Julie Dianna (PAB)

Barette Vance (PAB)

Amanda Schull (SFB)

Maria Chapman (PNB)

Karine Seneca (BB)

balletmps, I would have to say I concur with you. There are a lot of beautiful dancers today, but these are some of my favorites, too. I am very familiar with your picks from NYCB, ABT, PABallet and SFB but not as familiar with the other two dancers. But since it appears we have similar taste, I am sure they must be lovely.

This is a fun thread I just come across. My candidates are:

From the Ballet Russe days;

Mia Slavenska - glamorous redhead from Yugoslavia, danced w/ Ballet Russe, formed her own

company w/ Freddy Franklin

http://slavenskadancepreservation.com/

Tamara Toumanova - the inimitable dark-haired beauty

Tatiana Riabouchinska - one of the "baby ballerinas", also of ABT

Irina Baronova - another one of the "baby ballerinas"

From NYCB;

Suzanne Farrell - now as the voice of Balanchine, emits spiritual as well as physical beauty

Kyra Nichols

Stephanie Saland

Vera Zorina - an early wife of Balanchine, also of ABT

Maria Tallchief - another wife of Balanchine, also ABT

Diane Adams - both of NYCB & ABT, & an early muse of Balanchine's

From ABT;

Lupe Serrano

Barbara Fallis - also NYCB

Sono Osato - also in musical theater

Annabelle Lyon

Toni Lander - also Royal Danish Ballet

Cynthia Gregory - elegant, striking American dancer

Carla Fracci - also of Italy

Mimi Paul - also NYCB

Marianna Tcherkassky

Leslie Browne - also actress in "Turning Point"

Nina Ananiashvili - also of Boshoi

Julie Kent

Susan Jaffe

Alessandra Ferri

Others;

Altynai Asylmuratova - Tartar beauty, Kirov Ballet

Maya Plisetskaya - Bolshoi Ballet, Russian redhead, dynamic personality, now about 80

Margot Fonteyn - Royal Ballet

Moira Shearer - Royal Ballet & actress in "Red Shoes"

Karen Kain - newly appointed AD of National Ballet of Canada

Yuan Yuan Tan - San Francisco Ballet principal

Sabina Allemann - San Francisco Ballet principal

Sarah Lamb - Royal Ballet, formerly Boston Ballet

This lists keeps growing, but is by no means all inclusive, & certainly not very current. Sort of off the top of my head....

:speechless-smiley-003:

allegrovitch writes:

Suzanne Farrell - now as the voice of Balanchine, emits spiritual as well as physical beauty

Kyra Nichols

Stephanie Saland

Vera Zorina - an early wife of Balanchine, also of ABT

Maria Tallchief - another wife of Balanchine, also ABT

Diane Adams - both of NYCB & ABT, & an early muse of Balanchine's

That Mr. B knew how to pick them, didn't he? :flowers:

Diana Adams is so beautiful. I love those George Platt Lynes photographs of her. And from the tapes I've seen, she danced to match.

Amanda Schull of San Francisco Ballet has a perfect complexion, in addition to her other attributes, as viewers of Center Stage may recall.

Diana Adams is so beautiful.  I love those George Platt Lynes photographs of her. And from the tapes I've seen, she danced to match.

As I recall, Diana Adams was even more beautiful on stage. Almost too beautiful, if that is possible. Her classic and serene face was almost a distraction from her classic and marvellous dancing.

Diana Adams is so beautiful.  I love those George Platt Lynes photographs of her. And from the tapes I've seen, she danced to match.

As I recall, Diana Adams was even more beautiful on stage. Almost too beautiful, if that is possible. Her classic and serene face was almost a distraction from her classic and marvellous dancing.

:flowers: Thanks for that, Bart. How could you stand it? How could Balanchine?

Just joined this site, and saw this string. Couldn't resist adding my two cents (although it would have been much more difficult to come up with a list of unattractive ballerinas, since there probably aren't any).

I also remember Ann Ditchburn. Those who mentioned her were right. And I agree with those who named (in no particular order) Altynai, Semenyaka, Lezhnina, Zakharova, Vishneva, Suzanne Farrell, Allegra Kent, Helene Alexopoulos, Guillem, Fracci, Kirstin Simone, Lis Jeppesen, Donna Woods (glad someone remembered her), Ferri, Bussell, Marianna Tcherkassky, and my personal favorites, Gelsey Kirkland and Alina Cojocaru.

But, unless I missed them, no one's mentioned the following: Birgit Keil (Stuttgart); Cynthia Harvey (ABT), Amanda McKerrow (ABT), Charlene Gehm (Joffrey), Patricia Barker (PNB), Janie Parker (Houston), Lesley Collier (Royal), Nadezhda Pavlova (Bolshoi), Yoko Morishita (Matsuyama), and Janet Eilber (I know she's Graham, but always looked like a ballerina).

And for a sneak preview: Sarah Lane (ABT)

I agree, Alessandra Ferri, hands down, is absolutely the most gorgeous woman...<especially when she was younger, she looked like a glamorous old hollywood star>...and dancer.

Julie Kent is extremely beautiful as well, I remember reading somewhere a reference to her "Boticellian-like beauty"..

Of NYCB, Darci Kistler.

Alla Sizova when young is the most luscious-looking to me. Only one mention I believe in the thread (Hans). In the 'Sleeping Beauty' movie, she was just incredibly pretty. There were some photos with Nureyev, and much as I love Fonteyn, I can imagine what the more animal Sizova would have done partnering Nureyev throughout her career. I was interested to find that ballerinas' bodies are almost all beautiful, or at least reasonably so since in good shape, but that they do not nearly always have faces I find beautiful in the sense of pretty; or rather, not many of them look like models (I don't think threads like this are about 'spiritual beauty', which is always being discussed in talking about the dancing). I don't think that's important so much as there do seem to be more of the men who face-wise do look like models. I watched the rest of Kopolkova's 'Sleeping Beauty' from 1983 tonight, and there were not very good closeups, but I think she was beautiful, too. I think there are also many remarks of dancers 'smiling too much' in various discussions. She smiled more than most (almost every time it was even remotely appropriate), but it's not too loud a smile, so I liked it. Is she beautiful? I thought so from what I could tell in this video. Some others I find beautiful only because they are great dancers, like Nina Ananiashvili or Maya Plisetskaya, whose faces both look fairly average to me; and most ballerinas' faces I find like this.