This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Most Beautiful Female Dancer(s)

brbropus39

I completely agree about Carla Fracci. I cannot believe I forgot to include her. In my opinion, she is by far the most gorgeous ballerina ever.

I have a book called "The making of a dance: Medea" with her, Baryshnikov, and the choreographer, John Butler. In the book, she is much more mature than in the other books and videos I have seen of her, and I think it makes her all the more beautiful.

I also emphasize Stella Abrera. She was on the cover of Dance Magazine earlier this year and, as it says in the magazine, "Her glamour and sex appeal come from another era."

Altynai Asylmuratova: For me she is number one.

The following are in no particular order:

Maya Plisetskaya

Patricia McBride

Allegra Kent

Zizi Jeanmaire

Uliana Lapotkina

Marguerite Porter

Larissa Lezhnina

Yvette Chauvire

Tamara Karsavina

Elisabeth Platel

Daria Pavlenko

Svetlana Beriosova

Carla Fracci

Lubov Kunakova

Alla Shelest

Ludmilla Semenyaka

Ekaterina Maximova (for eternal youth)

Some Danish stunning beauties:

Mette Hønningen

Silja Schandorff

Mette Bødtcher

Kirsten Simone

Rest of the world:

Altynai Asylmuratova

Alina Cojocaru

Violetta Elvin

Margot Fonteyn

Carla Fracci

Irina Kolpakova

Agnès Letestu

Anya Linden

Elizabeth Loscavio

Svetlana Lunkina

Ekaterina Maximova

Ludmila Semenyaka

Polina Semionova

Moira Shearer

Antoinette Sibley

Olga Spessivtzeva

Svetlana Zakharova

Everyone seemed to enjoy the Most Handsome Male Dancers discussion, so I thought I'd start a similar search for the most beautiful female dancers.

I've decided upon Julie Kent, Stella Abrera, Janie Taylor, and Irina Dvorovenko. (In no particular order)

----- I would certainly be interested in seeing some of the best photos of many of these nominations for most beautiful ballerina. I have noticed a few names that seem to capture the hearts of everyone---MARGOT FONTEYN, TAMARA KARSAVINA, CARLA FRACCI & IRENA DVOROVENKO, with Shearer, Farrell, Kent & Asylmuratova -- often mentioned. Although no small part of our observations of beauty are culturally conditioned in the eye of the beholder, nevertheless, there is actually an objective 'science" of beauty, even when judgements are applied intuitively, with the eye of the mind. And this, I think, speaks to why there is a concensus on so many of these beauties. How else could we explain the awe-inspired comments made by so many about these few, chosen from a field of exceptionally good looking people, with such praises as "ravishing" "other-worldly," "perfect" and my overall favorite--"DANGEROUS"--With your permission, I'd like to borrow that one! BENINGLY DANGEROUS, WITHOUT THREAT OF PERIL, TO BE SURE. Such beauty we should all be able to share and enjoy. Can any of the long-standing and trusted members post photos of any of these beauties? (Is it against the rules?) (Well, I just went back and read where only moderators can post photos--so--maybe some will) Until then, I am evermore smitten by the "Divine One,"--- ANN DITCHBURN IN CANADIAN BALLET & ANNE IN THE MOVIES (All movie reviews, while not too kind to the movie, referred to her as "beautiful, divine, georgeous, exotic, etc.) and, with reluctance, I must agree with the cynics and critics this one time. Well, I guess by now you all know how I feel about this stunningly beautiful dancer (National Ballet of Canada 70's and 80's) Now that I have gone this far, I may as well admit---all my life I thought the sunrise was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen---that is, until I saw ANN DITCHBURN'S FACE and beatific smile, an enchantment that never fails. Sending me back to finishing school, I had to rethink the Grand Unified Theory of Beauty. Now it's (1) Ann's beaming countenance graced with her exotic headscarf (2) sunrise and sunset (3) Ann's blissful smile (4) all of Tchaikovsky's works (5) Katherine Zeta-Jones (approaching her beauty) (6) Sibelius' Symphony #2 (7) Texas/your state or province (9) all of Ann's dance scenes, I reckon...Aw shucks, this is too corny, but I like to get things in proper perspective. Running out of superlatives, to the relief of any remaining patient readers, the only thing I have never understood is why her beauty has not been submitted for verification as a legitimate Canadian miracle of beauty, at least a national treasure. I was so enraptured, I didn't even know who else was in the movie until the third viewing. How could I have missed the movie and this lovely creature of delight for all these years? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not biased or anything, just spellbound in thralldom to this Apollonian beauty, who, for me, finally and definitively, resolved the question of the existence of angels on earth. (without wings, but positively identified in this case) Trusting I have not done injustice to her through understatement and remembering how Cervantes put it in Don Quixote, I am sure he would have applied it here, "The stars in the high heavens fortify you in your divinity, and make you deserving of the just deserts that your greatness deserves." I just had a thought--why don't we have some kind of a poll on this for, say, a month, and then have a run-off showing photos of the top 10 vote getters. Maybe we could vote and rank the top 10 or 12, (from all eras) Seems like it would be a lot of fun, helpful and informative for greenhorns like me, especially if sprinkled with comments, background and pictures. (I just know my entry would win--if only everyone could see her!) I might even change my mind, the way these others are so wonderfully described. I'll wager a lot of people do not know all of these dancers discussed. (Maybe a showing of hands on the Oprah Winfrey Show to decide.... just kiddin) I guess everything shouldn't be turned into a contest. Still..... What the? .....I've gotta run, the movie's fixin to come on again, and I want to see the....the....music!

Edited by drbacc

For me too it's Karsavina--always. I love the photographs of course, but the image that I can always call up with absolute clarity is the Sargent sketch of her wearing that little Robin Hood hat.

But also (and in no order, of course)

Olga Spessivtseva

Wendy Whelan

Moira Shearer

Beryl Gray

Alicia Alonso

Tamara Toumanova

Sarah Lamb

Svetlana Zakharova

To disprove the notion that British women are not pretty, here are some ballerinas from the RB, BRB, and English National-

Moira Shearer- without a question the most beautiful ballerina then, now, and forever with her red hair, green eyes, creamy skin, the works. In the Red Shoes one can also see that beauty perfectly translates onto the screen as well.

Pearl Argyle- described by Gordon Anthony as the most beautiful face in the theatrical professions after Vivien Leigh, and indeed her pictures show a perfect oval face with aristocratic features, Balanchine was said to have fallen in love with her.

Pamela May- With her blonde, blue- eyed English Rose beauty and her vivacious friendly character she was an in- house favorite with Ninette, the audience, and Michael Somes.

Beryl Grey- Tall, glamourous, with dark hair and eyes, she sometimes resembled a young Queen Victoria.

Antoinette Sibley- blonde with brown eyes, she had a sweet, angelical face, always smiling.

Julia Farronn- an unconventional red-haired beauty.

Anya Linden- perfect features.

Georgina Parkinson- green eyes, black hair and a stunning beauty in the style of Liz Taylor.

Marion Tait- aristocratic beauty

Darcey Bussell- up turned nose, almond eyes, similar to Bambi's, and perfect cheekbones all make the most attractive ballerina of the 90's and now.

Andria Hall- Blonde beauty and perfect smile.

Patricia Ruanne-

Margot Fonteyn- Needs no comment

Some Commonwealth stunners

Vergie Derman- an icy blonde, tall with long limbs, if she had not been a dancer she would certainly have made her living as a model.

Elaine Fifield- she was a Vivien Leigh look alike with green eyes and dark brown hair.

To disprove the notion that British women are not pretty, here are some ballerinas from the RB, BRB, and English National-

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS WERE MADE BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN drbacc.

Moira Shearer- without a question the most beautiful ballerina then, now, and forever with her red hair, green eyes, creamy skin, the works. In the Red Shoes one can also see that beauty perfectly translates onto the screen as well.

Pearl Argyle- described by Gordon Anthony as the most beautiful face in the theatrical professions after Vivien Leigh, and indeed her pictures show a perfect oval face with aristocratic features, Balanchine was said to have fallen in love with her.

Pamela May- With her blonde, blue- eyed English Rose beauty and her vivacious friendly character she was an in- house favorite with Ninette, the audience, and Michael Somes.

Beryl Grey- Tall, glamourous, with dark hair and eyes, she sometimes resembled a young Queen Victoria.

Antoinette Sibley- blonde with brown eyes, she had a sweet, angelical face, always smiling.

Julia Farronn- an unconventional red-haired beauty.

Anya Linden- perfect features.

Georgina Parkinson- green eyes, black hair and a stunning beauty in the style of Liz Taylor.

Marion Tait- aristocratic beauty

Darcey Bussell- up turned nose, almond eyes, similar to Bambi's, and perfect cheekbones all make the most attractive ballerina of the 90's and now.

Andria Hall- Blonde beauty and perfect smile.

Patricia Ruanne-

Margot Fonteyn- Needs no comment

Some Commonwealth stunners

Vergie Derman- an icy blonde, tall with long limbs, if she had not been a dancer she would certainly have made her living as a model.

Elaine Fifield- she was a Vivien Leigh look alike with green eyes and dark brown hair.

Edited by drbacc

Chan Han Goh is also very beautiful. She not only is principal dancer for the National Ballet of Canada, but has danced in Suzanne Farrell Ballet and has guest starred around the world.

This month she danced Sugar Plum Fairy with the California Riverside Ballet to Nikolaj Hübbe's Cavalier in Nutcracker.

Uh oh! I just saw that Chan was already on somebody's list. Sorry for the duplication!

Edited by native New Yorker
Chan Han Goh is also very beautiful. She not only is principal dancer for the National Ballet of Canada, but has danced in Suzanne Farrell Ballet and has guest starred around the world.

This month she danced Sugar Plum Fairy with the California Riverside Ballet to Nikolaj Hübbe's Cavalier in Nutcracker.

Uh oh! I just saw that Chan was already on somebody's list. Sorry for the duplication!

She's worth mentioning twice. :unsure: