Locating dancersFolks I'd like to find

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 gggoodgggirl

gggoodgggirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

I have been looking for my first ballet teacher for years, to no avail. I would like to know what became of Karl Klauser. I don't mean the composer, whose name does come up on google, but the dancer, choreographer, and teacher who danced with the Metropolitan Opera Ballet. He would be about 74 years old. He opened the Dance Academy of Rockville Centre in 1959. I was one of his first students. The last time I saw him was 1973. He sold the studios to Marty Morginsky, who had taught jazz there, soon after that. One of my first teachers there was Marie Adair (who died in her early 60s), with whom I not only studied as a young teenager but years later, when she was hired by Harry Bernstein to teach ballet at Adelphi University. Did anyone here know Karl or any of the other dancers/teachers I mentioned?

I am writing this response 9 years after this was posted (stumbled upon it while doing a Google search).  I was a student at the Dance Academy from 1965-1978 and worked there as the evening receptionist from 1976-1978.  My mom (different last name than mine) was one of the main ballet teachers there during all those years and worked for Karl Klauser.  He was my teacher over the years, although I did occasionally take classes from other teachers as well.  I grew up with them all, as they were my mom's co-workers.  I believe the studio was sold to Marty Morginsky in the late 70's or early 80's because it was after I left for college in the fall of 78.  I do not know what happened to Karl, but I can probably find out. I am no longer involved in dance, but my mom is still alive and very connected to the dance community. 

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Since gggoodgggirl doesn't have PM privileges, if you'd like her to get in contact, please email the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page from a contact email, and we'll forward it.

#18 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hi gggoodgggirl! It's gratifying to get a response. I check Ballet Talk every day so am always reachable here. The only other female ballet teacher from my time that I remember was Alice Green (or Green-something, sorry!). Otherwise it was Karl and Marie who taught ballet.

You started at the Dance Academy the same year I entered Adelphi University as a dance major, so our paths just missed intersecting. I think about Karl Klauser quite often and would still love to know what he did and where he went after selling his studio to Marty Morginsky.

#19 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

I was at Dance Acadamy of RVC too.  It was from 1973-1975 during high school.  I took ballet with Karl Klauser and got my first taste of Graham technique from Marty Morginsky.  I have no further information about either of them, but would love to learn anything.

My family is still in the area and my travels take me by the studio every once in a while when I visit.  The name is different and the signage indicates that the main focus is now on ballroom dance. 

#20 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

How nice to hear from another former Dance Academy student! As you mentioned, the studio is different. It hasn't been the Dance Academy for 20 years. I think it is/was called Silva. I took my 28 year old daughter there when she was just beginning ballet in hopes she could take some ballet classes (Silva advertised them) while we were visiting back home for the summer. We watched a ballet class and I found it terribly lacking.

The two studios had been renovated into one large, gleaming studio with tables and chairs on one side for dining or something. It was indeed geared toward ballroom dance. Only when I went to the bathroom (the ante-room of which was newly decorated) and stepped through the door to the commode did I feel like I was in the Dance Academy I knew and loved. I never went back inside the studio on any of my subsequent visits although I still drive past it when I'm in the States.

#21 sparklingtonic

sparklingtonic

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I am interested in knowing what happened to Yann Bridard with the Paris Opera ballet -- he was a principal dancer and does not seem to be listed on their website any longer  -- I suppose there could be something wrong with the site but I do know he was approaching retirement age.  If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):