This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dance in America

Wait wait wait - the broadcast of "Swan Lake" is scheduled for June 20. "Making the Misfits," which being advertised in the sidebar on that web page, is the one that is airing on May 11. The "Swan Lake" web companion will go online June 1, with the broadcast itself following on the 20th. Check the broadcast schedule here:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/broadcast/broadcast.html

Sigh...I wouldn't mind a switch of the two myself, but alas, I guess we'll have to wait until June.

This performance’s DVD (Swan Lake – Murphy & Corella) is scheduled to be released in Japan around the end of June – but only in Japanese version.

http://www.fairynet.co.jp/www/on-shop/html/av/DD-151435.html

(Japanese only website)

Does anyone know when the US version will be released?

(I tried to post this in ballet video section, but I cannot – probably because I am a new member. Pls remove as appropriate.)

I see now that the web companion has been delayed until June 13.

Nothing on the site about the accompanying video/dvd, Jun. The only Swan Lake listed there is the Matthew Bourne. I would assume the ABT one will be released sometime soon after the airing, if it follows the pattern of recent GPs.

PBS's Great Performances has a page devoted to this broadcast now, and it appears that Kevin McKenzie has surprises in store.

Although shot before a live audience at Kennedy Center, the production has been revised by Kevin McKenzie especially for television, allowing him to realize ideas he could not accomplish within the confines of the theater. "In staging the production originally, I had in mind to take the audience from the climactic conclusion at the end of Act 3, when the deception is revealed, directly to the storm in Act 4 with as little interruption as we could manage. But it soon became clear that was impossible, given the huge scenery that had to be moved, so I had to create a scene, as have many choreographers before me, to disguise the set change. On videotape, this can be accomplished much more easily, so I will actually see my original idea for the first time on television.

"In addition, one's sense of time is so different in the theater than it is on the screen; with the benefit of proximity, particularly close-ups, everything is communicated much faster, and the action can be moved along more quickly. We've taken advantage of this, eliminating certain repeats, for example. And, as it turns out, I like what we've accomplished so much that I've decided to keep some of it for the stage version.

GWTW, at one point I would have agreed with you. When Balanchine changed the finale of Chaconne for TV, he robbed me of one of my favorite moments.

However, now that I am familiar with McKenzie's Swan Lake, I am hopeful that the passages he envisions cutting are the same ones I've come, in Pavlovian* fashion, to yawn through. Act III just drags along, unnecessarily. :yawn:

*The one with the dog, not the one with the pointe shoes. :D

It lists the entire cast with two exceptions:  While Herman Cornejo is listed as Benno, unless I've overlooked them, his two pas de trois companions are nowhere to be found! :) I hope the pd3 has not been cut!

Oh, they cannot cut the most important scene!! - Herman Cornejo w/his sister, Erica & Reyes (if I remember correctly). We'll see tomorrow night :wacko:

Thank you everyone for info. Now it seems that DVD will be on sale tomorrow, too.

It lists the entire cast with two exceptions:  While Herman Cornejo is listed as Benno, unless I've overlooked them, his two pas de trois companions are nowhere to be found! :dry: I hope the pd3 has not been cut!

Oh, they cannot cut the most important scene!! - Herman Cornejo w/his sister, Erica & Reyes (if I remember correctly). We'll see tomorrow night :wink:

Thank you everyone for info. Now it seems that DVD will be on sale tomorrow, too.

I am looking forward to seeing Gillian and Angel. I saw SL in Cleveland in March with the same cast other than Paloma danced the lead. Herman,Erica and Reyes were great.